Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC on FOX 5 nears sell out, Gustafsson-Rua a likely title eliminator

1. Default UFC on FOX 5 nears sell out, Gustafsson-Rua a likely title eliminator

UFC on FOX 5 nears sell out, Gustafsson-Rua a likely title eliminator | MMAjunkie.com

By the time you read this, UFC on FOX 5 may already be sold out.

This past weekend at UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro, UFC President Dana White said the December event, which is the final FOX-televised show of 2012, has done brisk ticket sales.

And having a likely title eliminator in the co-headliner hasn't hurt.

"UFC on FOX 5 almost sold out before I left (the U.S.)," White said after UFC 153. "It's probably sold out now."
    The event, which takes place Dec. 8 at Seattle's KeyArena, arguably features the deepest FOX-televised card to date. In the headliner, lightweight champion Benson Henderson (17-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) meets top contender Nate Diaz (16-7 MMA, 11-5 UFC). Additionally, White said a title shot could be on the line in the co-headliner, which features Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (21-6 MMA, 5-4 UFC) vs. Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC).

"It'll put one of those guys in the position (for a title shot)," White said of the co-main event.
    The card, which also boasts welterweights B.J. Penn (16-8-2 MMA, 12-7-2 UFC) vs. Rory MacDonald (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) and Mike Swick (15-4 MMA, 10-3 UFC) vs. Matt Brown (15-11 MMA, 8-5 UFC), thus far has avoided the injury bug. And that fact isn't lost on White.

"It's staying together so far," he said. "lease let this stay together."
    The full UFC on FOX 5 card includes:

MAIN CARD (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)

Champ Benson Henderson vs. Nate Diaz (for lightweight title)
    Alexander Gustafsson vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
    Rory MacDonald vs. B.J. Penn
    Matt Brown vs. Mike Swick

PRELIMINARY CARD (FUEL TV, 5 p.m. ET)

Lavar Johnson vs. Brendan Schaub
    Mike Chiesa vs. Rafaello Oliveira
    Dennis Siver vs. Ediie Yagin
    Ramsey Nijem vs. Joe Proctor
    Daron Cruickshank vs. Henry Martinez
    John Albert vs. Scott Jorgensen
    Tim Means vs. Abel Trujillo
    John Cholish vs. Yves Edwards*

* - Not officially announced
    God who wants to see Shogun get another title shot? Yawn.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    UFC on FOX 5 nears sell out, Gustafsson-Rua a likely title eliminator | MMAjunkie.com

I'd like to see it at 185...
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

I'd rather see Shogun get it than Gus. I just don't get all the hype around Gus. In a few years he might be a force, but right now he's still too raw and sloppy.

I don't want to see it yet. After Hendo beats Machida, and then Jones, I'd like to see a Hendo vs Shogun II

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Shogun and title shot shouldn't even be used in the same sentence anymore. I don't foresee the man ever getting a title shot ever again. Goose is going to smash him.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Fingers crossed everybody stays healthy. I've got my tickets! I hope Gustafsson takes it, we need some fresh blood in the main event at Light Heavyweight. I'm looking forward to the Rory/Penn fight most of all... Can't wait to see in person, Rory retire Penn for good! Bendo and Diaz should put on a good show, pulling for Bendo in that one! I'm pumped.

Shogun/Goose before Hendo/Machida?

I don't understand that.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

I DO!

I would definitely put the Hendo-Machida winner first in line. However, all it says here is the winner 'could' be in line for a title shot. Anything can happen so it's good to have a backup.

As for Shogun getting a rematch, I'm not against it if he earns it. Since losing to Jones he had the huge KO against Forrest, the epic fight of the year against Hendo, and the TKO finish against Vera where he didn't look spectacular but still got a finish against a guy who is not easily finished. So a win against Goose brings him pretty close.
    ...and one HELL of alot closer than Sonnen, for example.

As for his chances against Jones, I'm assuming that's where you're having issue. I agree he got dominated in that first fight, and I would certainly favour Jones in a rematch. Who DON'T you favour Jones against at LHW, though? I would like to find out if Jones can repeat his performance, or if that flying knee seconds into the fight is what set the tone for that whole contest.
    I believe Shogun would do better in a rematch, but still lose. I'm interested enough to find out by seeing it as opposed to just assuming history repeats itself always and forever in MMA, though.

...did I mention Sonnen should not get a title shot?

I hate that anyone would say that.

The guy gives it ALL everytime and every fight he's in is exciting; even when he gasses.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Is Goose/Shogun three or five rounds? I know Diaz/Bendo will be five for the title, but I remember Dana saying something about title eliminators after the Sonnen/Bisping fight....

Thread Information