Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Started my step son in BJJ

gracie fighter one is decent. the UG used to have an active gi and no-gi subforum but not so much anymore...

Well, this weekend my 11 year old will be competing in his 2nd NAGA event. He has improved DRASTICALLY since the last one so I'm hoping he will continue that streak. This will be his last tournament as novice with no subs. He trains 3 days a week and usually gets in on my adult classes 2 more days per week. And we roll at home when time permits, so I really think he is going to be a beast before long. Other than the strength difference, he does well against the beginner guys in my class.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

He brought home silver in no gi and gold in gi. The kids in his division this time were on average 7-8lbs heavier. We didn't worry about his weight for this one (my fault) and he weighed in at the bottom of the heavier class. He has only competed in 2 tournaments and has won both in gi.

Now we get bumped to the submission division. It should get interesting now. He has great offense but his defense needs a little tightening. We probably won't compete again until November though, so plenty of time to work on that.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz

Awesome! Tell him that an angry bearded red headed man from Missouri said congrats. Good way to improve the sub defense is to get tapped a lot! What does he get caught in most?

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Awesome! Tell him that an angry bearded red headed man from Missouri said congrats. Good way to improve the sub defense is to get tapped a lot! What does he get caught in most?

Probably americana or triangle more than anything. The kids always seem to go for the americana quickly. He's pretty good at protecting his neck and lapels.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    Probably americana or triangle more than anything. The kids always seem to go for the americana quickly. He's pretty good at protecting his neck and lapels.
    Found this triangle escape. Pretty bad ass. I have never tried this escape.

one of my favorite techniques for escaping the triangle is this one :

and for proof that it works, since Submissions101 has a ...weird rep:

ADCC 2005- Xande Ribeiro vs Roger Gracie...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    one of my favorite techniques for escaping the triangle is this one :

and for proof that it works, since Submissions101 has a ...weird rep:

ADCC 2005- Xande Ribeiro vs Roger Gracie...hehe
    Is this still effective when someone hooks the first posted leg? The reason I ask is because when I have someone in a triangle and they post a leg up like that, I immediately hook the leg to break them down so they can't stand up and stack me in any way.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz

That is wonderful that you got your son in at such an early age. I started my son at 4 1/2 and he loves it to, at 5 1/2 we entered him in the NAGA US Nationals in Atlanta, He ended up winning his division (He faced the son of NAGA president Kipp Koller in the final match). He is now 7 and unfortunately we have been away from the gym, but we hope to start back during some breaks.

You mentioned that a teammate of his won the TN state championships. What city are you in? We are in Nashville and train at Ed Clay's Nashville Mixed Martial Arts.

Thread Information