Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Started my step son in BJJ

Quote Originally Posted by izzi1s View Post
    That is wonderful that you got your son in at such an early age. I started my son at 4 1/2 and he loves it to, at 5 1/2 we entered him in the NAGA US Nationals in Atlanta, He ended up winning his division (He faced the son of NAGA president Kipp Koller in the final match). He is now 7 and unfortunately we have been away from the gym, but we hope to start back during some breaks.

You mentioned that a teammate of his won the TN state championships. What city are you in? We are in Nashville and train at Ed Clay's Nashville Mixed Martial Arts.

We are in Jackson, Tn. About 2 hours from Nashville. I know a couple of guys at Brentwood BJJ. Our kid's coach actually moved to that gym to coach full time.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

We had Jacob's first submission tournament this past Saturday.

He got silver in gi and no gi. He improved in no gi getting the silver.

No gi---It went fairly quickly. They grip fought for about 30 seconds and then Jacob went for the double leg but put his head on the outside. His opponent locked up a guillotine and finished it off. One small mistake. We had just worked on guillotine defense at home the night before, but it was his first submission match and I think he freaked a little and forgot the defense.

Gi---His first match was against a kid much larger than him and he had some really good defense. His opponent started off trying to push him around. Jacob shot for the single and the kid sprawled. He tried to take Jacob's back but got too high and didn't have hooks in and Jacob dumped him and got top control. Then the kid was just smothered because Jacob has great control with his top game. It ended on points with Jacob winning.

Final gi---A lot like the first match but this kid was A LOT better! They grip fought for a bit. Jacob went for a double leg and the kid sprawled and got Jacob's back with hooks. Jacob defended the rear naked and tried to turn into his opponent but in doing so, allowed his opponent to gain mount. He defended the americana numerous times (we went over this A LOT the night before because it's Jacob's weakness). I was proud that he used the defense techniques here. The kid tried to wrist lock Jacob which is illegal and the ref stopped him. The kid goes for the americana again and Jacob swept him and ended in the kids guard. Then the kid locked up an arm bar and Jacob went completely blank on defense I guess. He tapped. I told Jacob, "there is no way that kid should have been in your division. He was just too good."

Jacob is a grey belt and one of his teammates is a yellow belt that fights in expert. Once Jacob's match was over, his teammates dad came up to me and says "That kid that just beat Jacob has been competing at expert level the last 2 tournaments because Kyle (Jacob's teammate) has had to fight him." So we figured out that the kid was sandbagging and dropped to beginner class. I think that is ridiculous to start a kid out doing that, but whatever I guess. Jacob still did great against the kid for it to be his first submission tournament.

That was my day. Our team ended up with 5 golds and a few silvers out of 8 kids.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Thread Information