+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anthony Johnson: Move to Light Heavyweight Was Best Decision Iíve Ever Made

Default Anthony Johnson: Move to Light Heavyweight Was Best Decision Iíve Ever Made

Anthony Johnson: Move to Light Heavyweight Was Best Decision Iíve Ever Made

ďI was always upset. I hated everybody if I was dropping to 170 [pounds], especially on weigh-in day,Ē Johnson told Sherdog.com after his knockout of D.J. Linderman at the World Series of Fightingís debut event. ďEverything happens for a reason. I donít take back anything that happened in my past, because if it hadnít happened back then, I wouldnít be who I am right now. Moving to [light heavyweight] was definitely the best decision that Iíve ever made in my life.Ē
    ďNothing was going through my mind except that [Linderman] poked me in the eye,Ē Johnson said of the sequence. ďI looked over at Herb, and Herb said he didnít see it. I respect him. Heís the best ref in the world. If he didnít see it, then I respect that, because they donít see everything.Ē

Next, Johnson says he heard Lindermanís corner urge the Californian to attack while ďRumbleĒ gathered his wits. The advice proved less than helpful, as Johnson planted his back foot and countered Linderman with a straight right hand that instantly turned out his lights, causing him to fall limp, face-first on the canvas.

ďI heard D.J.ís corner say, ĎGo get him,í because they thought it was an opportunity. He just left himself open. I trained to step backward and punch at the same time, kind of like how Chuck Liddell used to do. We train that day in and day out,Ē said Johnson. ďUsually when you knock somebody out, you donít feel it. You just happen to hit them in the right spot, and thatís exactly what happened. I didnít think he was going to fall the way he did. I donít think heís ever been knocked out or stopped like that. I think I was the first, so Iím proud of myself.Ē
    Anthony Johnson: Move to Light Heavyweight Was Best Decision I

Why is that a decision....not like he had a choice.....unless he went up to Heavyweight or even Super Heavyweight

Rumble looks good at light heavy weight. Can't wait to see him get back over to the big show.

Fuck yeah, move to LHW and get a steady stream of cans. Of course it's a great career move. I like Rumble a lot but I wanna see him in fights that mean something.

Yeah, now he can eat all the Krispy Kreme he wants lol

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I still think MW would be better for him.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

I think that's where he belongs, great decision.

On another note, did anyone see him fight the other night?

Right before he got the ko, he complained about an eye poke, acted like he couldn't fight, but when the ref said keep fighting, he threw a punch and ko'ed the other guy... After that, I didn't see him holding his eye, complaining or anything. Eye just miraculously healed????

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Fuck yeah, move to LHW and get a steady stream of cans. Of course it's a great career move. I like Rumble a lot but I wanna see him in fights that mean something.
    I thought he did pretty well against Vitor. I'd like to see him fight Thiago Silva or Rampage.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    I still think MW would be better for him.
    ^ This. Couldnt agree more.

MW is where he belongs....

He could have stayed his "WW size", only cut 15 pounds less, which is huge... He would have gone from a huge cut to a standard cut... He may have even had a few pounds left over to play with...

LHW is not the place for him, He clearly added some mass, but im not sure it is the best thing for him...

He seems to be the type of guy to push the limits no matter what... He even looked bigger when he fighting Vitor, than he did at WW.

He didnt think of it as less of a cut, but thought of it as allowing him to put on more muscle.

If he comes to the UFC at LHW he will have a rude awakening... He can do better than most give him credit for, but he would be very hard pressed to come anywhere near the top10... He would still be a handful for anyone, and very dangerous... Similar to Guillard.

MW isnt what it used to be anymore... Look at the division.
    Rockhold, Anderson, Okami, Franklin, Weidman, Boetch, Belcher... all bigger MWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    Thiago Silva
    Agree

Id love to see him against someone like Thiago Silva, Mousasi, or Forrest...

Im not sold on any one of them "easily" being him. They may go in as favorites, but none of them have great wrestling, they would struggle to get him down...

Forrest and Thiago could outstrike him and yes Thiago has power, but they are both slower LHW's... And while Mousasi would have a good technical advantage... Rumble has very underrated speed and explosiveness... and packs some power himself.... and if all else failed, he go the LNP route if he was getting tagged standing... Mousasi's wresting is very questionable. He would just have to watch out for his guard.

Machida and Shogun murder him standing... Evans and Davis take him down at will... Goose outpoints him or finishes him, Glover and Rampage stop him. And I dont think anyone wants to see him against Jones.
    Last edited by Kimbo> Rampage; 11-06-2012 at 03:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information