+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UFC Returns to Japan in March 2013 [& partners with MNC Media Indonesia, plans event]

Default UFC Returns to Japan in March 2013 [& partners with MNC Media Indonesia, plans event]

UFC Returns to Japan in March 2013 | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC continues to expand globally but returning to a new market is as important as going there in the first place.

They will do just that come March 3, 2013 when the return to the “Land of the Rising Sun” in Japan for a show set to land at the Saitama Super Arena.
    According to the UFC’s head of operations in Asia Mark Fischer speaking at the UFC on Fuel TV 6 post fight press conference, plans are in place for the promotion to return to Japan early next year.

The date of March 3 falls on a Sunday in Japan, but because of time differences, that would allow for the show to air in the United States at a regular time slot.

UFC announces partnership with MNC Media in Indonesia, plans future events

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Saturday continued its global expansion, particularly in Asia, with its first event in China.

And after the fight card, the company announced plans to break further into the Asian market, this time in Indonesia with a partnership with the Jakarta-based MNC Media.

And with that partnership, the UFC also expects eventually to hold events in Indonesia, likely first in the capital city of Jakarta. Indonesia is home to roughly 238 million people, putting it behind the United States in fourth place on the list of world's most populous countries – and ahead of Brazil.

The UFC made the announcement at the post-event news conference for UFC on FUEL TV 6, which MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) attended. UFC on FUEL TV 6 was the promotion's first event in China.

UFC Executive Vice President and Managing Director of UFC Asia Mark Fischer said the company plans a more formal announcement of the new partnership in the coming weeks, along with additional details. But for now, it is another clear sign of the UFC's expansion into the Asian MMA market.

MNC (Media Nusantara Citra) Media, a 15-year-old company, counts TV stations, newspapers, magazines and radio stations among its holdings in Indonesia.

"They are Indonesia's by-far No. 1 media company with a 40 percent share of the Indonesian TV market," Fischer said. "They also own a lot of other media, so it's a great new partnership. It's going bring us on terrestrial TV and on their MNC Sports cable stations across the world's fourth-most populous country. So we're really excited about that for our future in this great potential market.
    UFC announces partnership with MNC Media in Indonesia, plans future events | MMAjunkie.com

makes me wonder what rampage has to say about this

UFC on FUEL TV 6's Kim wants Maia rematch in Japan, Gomi also wants on March card | MMAjunkie.com

At Saturday's UFC on FUEL TV 6 post-event news conference in Macau, Kim said he'd like to rematch Brazilian Demian Maia, and he'd love to do it at the UFC's newly announced card in Japan.

And as long as UFC officials are listening, fellow UFC on FUEL TV 6 winner Takanori Gomi (34-8 MMA, 3-3 UFC) said he wouldn't mind fighting at that event, too.

"So far in the UFC in my career, I have two career losses," Kim told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) through an interpreter. "I lost to Carlos Condit, I absolutely recognize, but I feel like my loss to Demian Maia, it's embarrassing to me and it's hard for me to really recognize that, myself, as a loss. So I'd really like to have a chance to get a rematch with Demian Maia."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information