Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones 'definitely' eyeing late-2013 move to heavyweight

Default Jon Jones 'definitely' eyeing late-2013 move to heavyweight

It wasn't long ago that Jon Jones floated the idea of a move to heavyweight into the media, only to have it quickly shut down by UFC President Dana White. Jones, the reigning UFC light heavyweight champion, had work to do, White essentially said, and plenty of challengers were breaking down the door for a shot at his belt.

Fast forward to a current climate that sees Jones preparing to defend his title for a fifth consecutive time, against a man who hasn't fought at light heavyweight in seven years, and the notion of Jones moving up in weight no longer seems so far-fetched.

Participating in an online MetroPCS chat with fans on Tuesday night, White, with Jones by his side, posed the question to the 25-year-old champ.

"I'll definitely move up to heavyweight," Jones responded. "But it'll probably be around 2013. Maybe at the end of 2013."

Jones is currently filming The Ultimate Fighter 17 opposite former middleweight Chael Sonnen in advance of the pair's April 27th title fight.

After which, Jones made it clear he still desires a fight against Dan Henderson in order to wrap up the UFC 151 chapter of his life. Minutes later, "Bones" also expressed interest in fighting rising Swedish contender Alexander Gustafsson in order to quiet critics who complain about his reach advantage.

So while a move to heavyweight is obviously on his mind, Jones' reign at light heavyweight still has plenty of mileage left in the tank.

"Right now I have a nutritionist and I'm starting to take the career a lot more seriously than I used to, so my weight cuts are getting a lot easier," said Jones. "I walk around a lot thinner naturally. Right now I'm at, like, 225 (pounds). That's a 20-pound cut. That's really easy. So I might look bigger than most people when I'm fighting, but I'm really not."
    Jon Jones 'definitely' eyeing late-2013 move to heavyweight - MMA Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

2. Default

Weight cutting doesn't shorten your reach thats the larger part

Why people actually bitch about his reach is beyond me. If he or anyone else makes weight then STFup, IMO . Maybe Bigfoot Silva big ass head is an ubfair advantage, maybe Hendo's power is unfair, Cub Swanson used george Roop to prove a size difference can be overcame. I think people who whine about his reach being unfair are likely just vag-hurt over him smashing a fighter they like. And I don't even like JJ!
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

He's not going to do well at heavyweight. I'd kind of like to see Struve welcome him to the division. It would be the only possible fight where he wouldn't have a reach advantage and it would be a great win for Struve.

I think he'd beat Struve but at HW he is going to get destroyed by the likes of JDS, Overeem, Cain, and Cormier.

Brown Pride

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

He will fight Sonnen...

Then Henderson, weather he holds out for the title fight, or somehow beats Lyoto...

He will then probably have a rematch with someone like Lyoto, Rashad or Shogun...

Id like to see him fight someone like Goose, Davis, or Glover before he moves up, but I dont see them being able to get past the elite LHW's.

Jones at HW will be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    He's not going to do well at heavyweight. I'd kind of like to see Struve welcome him to the division. It would be the only possible fight where he wouldn't have a reach advantage and it would be a great win for Struve.
    you really believe that struve would win? John is so well rounded and athletic that I dont think he has any difficulty in the heavyweight division until the top teir guys, like getting clipped by a JDS uppie, or a massive wrestler like carwin. struve would get dealt with easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesnar_FTW View Post
    I think he'd beat Struve but at HW he is going to get destroyed by the likes of JDS, Overeem, Cain, and Cormier.
    I don't know man, I really think Struve could pull it off. He would be able to do what Vitor almost did, and that's submit Jones. Quite honestly, I'm having a hard time thinking of a top ten heavyweight that wouldn't be able to beat him. He'll get get his ass handed to him in his firs HW fight and move back down to LHW where he belongs.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsteven View Post
    Why people actually bitch about his reach is beyond me. If he or anyone else makes weight then STFup, IMO . Maybe Bigfoot Silva big ass head is an ubfair advantage, maybe Hendo's power is unfair, Cub Swanson used george Roop to prove a size difference can be overcame. I think people who whine about his reach being unfair are likely just vag-hurt over him smashing a fighter they like. And I don't even like JJ!
    agree...

lol at Jones losing to Struve.... guys like JDS, Cain, DC, and AO would be very scary fights for Jones, but I love it how some people think he gets destroyed by the lesser HW's...

Because his wrestling, athleticism, and skilled game are going to disappear when he is out muscled.... right....

JJ vs Struve would be an interesting matchup. I don't know why many of you dismiss Struve in the fight, saying Jones would easily win. Few things to factor in the match up are:

Identical reach: Jones won't have the luxury to stay on the outside and pick apart like he comfortably does.

Height: Jones is 6'4 and Struve is 6'11. Tallest opponent Jones has fought was Bonnar at 6'4. Last few fights it has been guys who were 6'-6'2". Anyone who understands striking knows it's different to throw strikes up at an opponent as compared to down at them.

If Jones were to take Struve down, he again wont have the luxury to sit in the guard and use his length to throw down elbows. He would have to pass Struve's guard and in mount for his elbows to reach Struve's face. Not to mention, Struve has a great BJJ game off his back.

Struve is also getting bigger with each fight. He could be in the 260 range by the time these 2 were to ever fight. Anyone will tell you it's a lot harder to take down a bigger opponent.

Intriguing fight, but I dont see this being Jones first fight at HW. I think a more favorable matchup would benefit him.

Thread Information