Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bisping: I'm clear #1 contender with win over Belfort

Default Bisping: I'm clear #1 contender with win over Belfort

Bisping: I'm clear #1 contender with win over Belfort

"In my opinion, the hardest fight in the 185 [pound] division, other than Anderson Silva, is Vitor Belfort," Bisping said.

"He's a southpaw. I think that's one of the main things that complicates things because it changes up the striking. He's very good at jiu-jitsu, but that doesn't concern me. I don't think he's going to be looking to take me down and submit me. I think the main thing I've got to watch out for is punches to the back of the head. Got to watch out for those rabbit punches, because he does like to punch people in the back of the head."

Among others, Bisping plans to tap the services of Bellator contender Alexander Shlemenko to help prepare him for the bout.

He makes a habit of repeating his mantra about fighting "whoever they want ... anyone, anytime, anyplace." And after fighting Chael Sonnen on eight days notice and then accepting such a dangerous fight against Belfort when he could've waited, it's hard to argue with the man.

But ask him, and Bisping remains confident in his decision.

"If I beat Vitor Belfort, I think there's no question that I'm the No. 1 contender," Bisping asserted. "And I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. I think I deserve it. If I beat Vitor, I deserve it. If I don't beat him, then I don't deserve to be in a title fight anyway."
    Bisping: I'm clear #1 contender with win over Belfort - Mixed Martial Arts News

I think the main thing I've got to watch out for is punches to the back of the head. Got to watch out for those rabbit punches, because he does like to punch people in the back of the head

every interview he always comes up as a douche. hopefully vitor puts him to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicsunn View Post
    I think the main thing I've got to watch out for is punches to the back of the head. Got to watch out for those rabbit punches, because he does like to punch people in the back of the head

every interview he always comes up as a douche. hopefully vitor puts him to sleep.
    Personally, I'd like to see the video of Bisping saying this, because I can imagine he was grinning, and saying it as a dig at the ribs of Belfort rather than a serious statement. I might be wrong, but it just didn't come across like anything serious when I initially read it.

I think Michael is right in saying Belfort poses him problems.
    Michael does especially well when he can outstrike guys with his technique, precision, and speed. Belfort may not be quite as technical a striker, and is more limited in his stand-up skill-set, but he is certainly a tidy enough boxer to get inside and land some heavy shots and put the heat on Bisping.

Bisping has had trouble in the past when guys pressure him in the stand up and really turn it up. Wandy clipped him, Akiyama clipped him, I believe Leben did too, and we all know what Hendo did. When guys come in aggressive, Bisping would struggle. Whilst he managed to withstand Stann's onslaughts, Belfort has the killer instinct and he gets the job finished (although yes, he does sometimes do so via some shots to the back of the head).

With Belfort coming off a fight where - whilst he was dominated for much of the fight - he managed to put the champion in the most precarious spot of his career, and shocked a lot of people.

I'm a big Bisping fan, but this could either be a fight that really cements him as the number one contender, or sends him to the back of a line that he may not reach the front of again before the end of his career.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

4. Default

assuming he manages to get past belfort, he's still at least 1 win behind the winner of botesch/weidman. Bisping is the roaddawg of the UFC it seems, spouting garbage every time he opens his mouth.

I think the only thing more amusing than Bisping's super-inflated perspective of himself is him complaining about other fighters being dirty.

Thank you for the comedy Mikey.

I'm sure zuffa will make the fight if he gets past Belfort, but it will be far from legitimate. it will be because Anderson knows he's an easier fight than Weidman, and that it will make more money.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Well, we're going to have to pick someone to fight Silva if Bisping wins. Based on Silva's normal fight frequency, we should expect a title fight sometime around April/May. I don't see it going to Belfort if he wins as it is still a little too close to his last match with Silva but it would put him much closer in line. It would be the path of least internet bitching if Bisping loses because the winner of Boetsch/Wiedman would have the best claim to the title shot.

If Bisping wins, however, then you've got a cloudy situation. You aren't going to have Bisping vs Boetsch/Wiedman as that pushes the title shot back to somewhere in August/September with how early the UFC announces title fights. The other guy is going to be in limbo as there won't be another fighter close enough to a title shot to give it to him (ie. if Bisping gets the shot and Wiedman loses, the guy who beats him wouldn't get the title shot). My gut tells me that if Bisping wins, they will give him the title shot. I acknowledge it sucks for Wiedman but he can only be looked over so many times.

We have to wait until January for this whole situation to sort itself out anyways, as anything can happen in a fight.
    The Jets have won more Superbowls than you have.

Both Boetsch and Weidman are higher ranked at the moment. I don't care what any puff piece on Pip has to say.

Agreed that for ranking purposes, beating Vitor is not going to put him ahead of the winner of Boetsch/Weidman. I'm not really big on rankings but curious where you guys would put him at middleweight? Would it be enough to bump him to #3? Or is the winner of Okami/Belcher ahead of him?

I will say, if they can entice Anderson out of this hard on he has for fighting GSP with a big pay day against Bisping in England, I am ALL for it.

I'd say he'd be a hazy, foggy, partly cloudy #2 contender behind the winner of Weidman/Boetsch with a win over Vitor, but he'd definately be in the mix.

Does anyone actually disagree that Vitor hits people in the back of the head though? I hate Bisping as much as anyone, but let's be honest here.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Thread Information