Thread: Freddie Roach Says He Knows Anderson's Style; Would Train GSP for Potential Fight

Default Freddie Roach Says He Knows Anderson's Style; Would Train GSP for Potential Fight

FREDDIE ROACH SAYS HE KNOWS ANDERSON SILVA’S STYLE, WOULD TRAIN GSP FOR POTENTIAL FIGHT

Freddie Roach has worked with both Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre, but his loyalty would lie with GSP if the two were to fight.

In an interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show, Roach discussed the potential matchup, Silva’s striking and more.

On how St. Pierre and Silva matchup: “If they fight, the size difference is, I think, possibly too much. But the thing is, if they did fight, I do know the style of Anderson very well. I know how he thinks a little bit. I know how he likes to lay on the ropes and how he likes to counterpunch a lot. We’d have to come up with the perfect game plan and we’d have to fight a perfect fight to win that one. There’s nothing impossible in the world. ... Georges is definitely my guy and I’d train him to win that fight. We’d do the best we can, and I’ll you one thing: It would be a war.”

On why Silva didn’t impress Roach at first when training at Roach’s gym: “[Silva spars] like Manny Pacquiao. [Pacquiao] doesn’t blow me away in the gym either because Manny’s about 30-40 percent also. Guys with that talent, they don’t really need to use everything they have. They save it for the fight. They’re veterans. It’s not bad. It’s just part of life. ... [Silva is] a very talented guy. The thing about Anderson, he understands distance and timing a little bit better than most at least in the boxing field. I learned that he was just toying with my guys because when I saw him fight for real, he was a whole different guy. When he wants to turn it up, he’s the best.”

On where Silva’s power comes from: “His power comes actually from the timing of his shots and the distance. To knock somebody out, you have to be in the perfect place [and have] the perfect distance and the perfect timing. You catch a guy coming into the shot and so forth. He makes it look easy, but it’s just about timing and distance. He’s really just a master at that. When he came into my gym and he was boxing with some of my heavyweights, he was laying on the ropes and just kind of teasing them a little bit, giving them a little bit of success and then turning that success into disaster. He’s very good at that.”

On how he forms a standup strategy for his fighters: “You’re setting traps up and so forth and you’re trying to walk [opponents] into combinations. Really what I watch is people’s habits and not their mistakes. What they do all the time, the moves they make when you throw a particular punch -- he blocks it this way or that way. Once you get the habits down of a fighter, it’s pretty much something they can’t stay away from or they can’t not do it. Once you learn that, it’s very effective of course. I don’t look for mistakes because anyone can make a mistake. I look for their habits. ... It’s really a lot of studying of tapes. You have to watch it over and over and over again and watch if he does it with southpaws and right-handed fighters, if he has the same habits.

“It’s a little bit difficult. Like when I was studying [Floyd] Mayweather for Pacquiao, Mayweather doesn’t have a lot of flaws, but he does have a couple of habits. If he fights a southpaw, he dips into the power of the southpaw, which is a big mistake by him and I think that’s why he doesn’t want to fight Manny Pacquiao because he doesn’t like fighting quick left-handed fighters.”

Listen to the full interview; start at 53:36

Sherdog
    I can't help but think about Anderson's instructional video over footwork. In the latter part, there's a video showing Anderson doing pad work with Roach and then Silva boxing a few rounds against some random guy, while Freddie cornered and coached him.

BP
    Kevo's response regarding Jon Jones' toe injury:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    At what point did the injury occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The part where his big toe does a backflip

Roach knows about Silva's BOXING, not his "style". Silva's striking game is much more than that, its comprised of kicks, knees, and also elbows. I dont think Roach would be of much help honestly.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Roach knows about Silva's BOXING, not his "style". Silva's striking game is much more than that, its comprised of kicks, knees, and also elbows. I dont think Roach would be of much help honestly.

Yeah Roach would probably be no help. (sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Yeah Roach would probably be no help. (sarcasm)
    The help he could offer wouldn't do much for GSP who would likely resort to his wrestling anyways once he got hit. Make no mistake about it GSP is like Lesnar when it comes to taking damage.

If I was Silva I would try to cut him open and break him mentally 1st.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    The help he could offer wouldn't do much for GSP who would likely resort to his wrestling anyways once he got hit. Make no mistake about it GSP is like Lesnar when it comes to taking damage.

Agree. It would mainly be defensive. And it wouldnt help much, even if they could see it coming...

Just like Anderson could get a pretty good idea of GSP's wrestling style.... Doesnt mean he is going to be able to stop it.

Easier said than done.. Gsp has shown that he can comeback from adversity. He took a beating early on in the first bj penn fight and he also fought through a torn groin in the thiago silva fight. Im still taking anderson if the fight does happen though.

Plenty of fighters know exactly what the other fighter is going to do, they just can't stop it. I think pound for pound, GSP is better than Anderson, but if they were to fight Anderson would win easily imo as GSP's only shot really would be in taking Silva down which I don't think he'd be able to do and Anderson would have a field day in the standup.

Brown Pride

GSP is not like Lesnar when it comes to taking damage. I am no GSP nuthugger, but if you are referring to him vs Serra then rewatch. He gets hit a good number of times and keeps coming forward. Bad comparison.

Yes I believe Reddie Roach would help. Much like Page said it might be more defensively, but he would still help. I still think Anderson wins though.

9. Default

I agree Roach would help, mainly by studying Silva's habits and giving GSP a better shot at getting his take down. Just by anticipation of what Silva may do from a striking stand point.

Thread Information