Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struve and Cheick Kongo want to fight each other at UFC 156 in February

Default Struve and Cheick Kongo want to fight each other at UFC 156 in February

Stefan Struve and Cheick Kongo want to fight each other at UFC 156 in February - MMAmania.com

With neither fighter currently booked for a fight, the two Europeans took to Twitter and played matchmaker for themselves.

"When's ‪@StefanStruve next fight? Him and ‪@kongo4real should throw it down!" A fan wrote to Struve and Kongo.

"Sounds good to me!" Struve replied via his personal Twitter account, then extending the offer to Kongo. "What do you think Cheick?! " Kongo, who has recently been criticized by UFC President Dana White for turning down a fight with Roy Nelson and one other bout, seemed happy to oblige to Struve's offer.

"It would be very exciting 4 the fans & a great challenge for both of us. UFC156 Lets do it!" The Frenchman wrote back to Struve.

With the two heavyweights seemingly trying to book their own fight, all they need to know is if there is place on the Superbowl weekend fight card for them to compete.

"I'm in! Great Fight for sure," Struve wrote. "Let's see if they got a spot left for us then!"

2. Default

Huge stepdown for Struve. Not a fan of this fight.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

i really dont see kongo walking away victorious in this one.

Kongo's only been submitted by Mir after he was pretty rocked, however I think Struve could pull off the sub here too.

Kongo's style is all about bullying and clinch work and I don't think he can achieve that too successfully against Struve. Kongo's got solid power for sure and nasty GNP when he feels threatened on his feet, however I believe Struve has the edge in too many of areas, whereas Kongo's advantages aren't as substantial.

All that said, I haven't been impressed with Kongo since like, UFC 92....

Struve's one or two fights away from title shot and if this fight happens, it will be a huge step down for him. Imo, he should be fighting Cormier or werdum for number one contender shot.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicsunn View Post
    Struve's one or two fights away from title shot and if this fight happens, it will be a huge step down for him. Imo, he should be fighting Cormier or werdum for number one contender shot.
    Kongo vs Gonzaga, Hunt vs Struve

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Big Country View Post
    Great idea! I second this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Big Country View Post
    perfect,

i think even responding to this will damage Struve. He could have just ignored it and the UFC would have found him someone suitable, if he had to respond he could have told kongo to go win a fight or two convincingly before he is a top contender like himself and worthy of a fight. that would have served 2 purposes, 1. told the boss your hungy and looking up the ladder not down and 2. pisses off kongo and will fuel any future matchup should struve lose or kongo gets a nice win or 2.

hunt vs struve is the right move.

Struve takes this easy, as long as keeps Kongo on the outside the whole fight.

Thread Information