View Poll Results: Who do you think will win?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Demian Maia

1 14.29%
  • Jon Fitch

3 42.86%
  • Too close to call.

3 42.86%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jon Fitch vs. Demian Maia added to February's UFC 156 event

Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    very interesting, after redeeming himself fitch made alot of comments about how since prepping for the bjpenn fight he didnt think anyone could sub him anymore, i think demain maia might have something to say about that, maybe he could take one of fitch's arms home?
    If both guys come in with that same fire they took into their previous fights this should be real good. As mentioned, we could be in for a treat of a ground battle.

I will take Fitch in this one. If he can take the fight to Maia as he did Silva then I say even gets close to a finish. I might be reaching, but I say it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I don't truly see how Fitch has ever really left the top 3-4. I mean yeah you gotta put GSP, Condit, & Hedricks ahead of him, but given his track record I don't think the flash ko loss to Hendricks dropped him very far. Fitch has been fed a shit sandwich for a long time, and he has thrived anyways. If I was told there was gonna be a welter weight tournament tomorrow that doesn't feature GSP, my pick would be Fitch. Hendricks may be a bad match up for him, but after all Fitch has done I'd rather have him than Hendricks (although I do really like Hendricks). As for the maia fight, it should be a great ground fight that could go either way. I'd pick Fitch, but I'm not gonna count Maia out. The only problem I have with it is that if Maia wins he will be next for a title shot after the Hendricks/Kampman winner, but if Fitch wins he will continue to enjoy his shit sandwich.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    As consistent as Fitch has been at winning through out his UFC career he does have the big name wins to keep him in the top 5 while going over two years with out a win like he just did. He has beaten a lot of top 20-11 fighters but not too many top 10. Alves and Sanchez are the only two fighter he has wins over that were undoubtably top 10 at the time, granted they were both top 5.

In addition, he lost a lot of cache in the public eye in the Penn fight. Most people had written BJ off since losing his belt to the smaller fighter in Edgar, and the surge of dislike that he'd created by talking smack about the beloved Georges was at an all time high [read: there are a ton of sites out there who reported he was "dominated" by Edgar, not once, but twice, etc]. Penn went into the Fitch fight as a huge underdog: Fitch is bigger, stronger, fantastic sub D, has limitless cardio and was going to grind Penn into poi. When Penn actually came out and made it a fight, it was easier to hate on Fitch than it was for many fans to give Penn any credit. Jon must have been overrated all these years, because BJ can't be skilled or anything, amirite?

So when Fitch catches a flash KO in his next fight back--a 10 month injury layoff wasn't helping any, either--you had a lot of casual fans who were ready to drop him from the top 10, many of whom just hate his style of fighting in the first place.

He's a perennial top 4-6 WW. Other than Georges, I don't know that there is any WW who I'd say takes more than 5 out of 10 against Fitch.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 11-16-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Stylistically, this isn't a good fight for Fitch. Maia gets the sub

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I really hope this doesn't turn into two grapplers who decide to box

If this hits the mat, like it should, this is going to be a hell of a fight. I love this match up

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    In addition, he lost a lot of cache in the public eye in the Penn fight. Most people had written BJ off since losing his belt to the smaller fighter in Edgar, and the surge of dislike that he'd created by talking smack about the beloved Georges was at an all time high [read: there are a ton of sites out there who reported he was "dominated" by Edgar, not once, but twice, etc]. Penn went into the Fitch fight as a huge underdog: Fitch is bigger, stronger, fantastic sub D, has limitless cardio and was going to grind Penn into poi. When Penn actually came out and made it a fight, it was easier to hate on Fitch than it was for many fans to give Penn any credit. Jon must have been overrated all these years, because BJ can't be skilled or anything, amirite?

So when Fitch catches a flash KO in his next fight back--a 10 month injury layoff wasn't helping any, either--you had a lot of casual fans who were ready to drop him from the top 10, many of whom just hate his style of fighting in the first place.

He's a perennial top 4-6 WW. Other than Georges, I don't know that there is any WW who I'd say takes more than 5 out of 10 against Fitch.

rh
    I thought BJ was an awful matchup for Fitch. With the exception of Matt Hughes, the only wrestlers that have had success against BJ Penn's TDD have done it by setting up and timing there very well. Those wrestlers are GSP and Edgar and they are probably the best in MMA at that aspect. Fitch isn't the greatest at that. BJ had a sizable technique and power advantage on the feet.

I really need to proof read my posts before I submit them. What I meant to say was "As consistent as Fitch has been at winning through out his UFC career he doesn't have the big name wins to keep him in the top 5 while going over two years with out a win"

I would have had him out of the top five going into the Silva fight. With the wins they picked up while he went two years with out a loss I would've ranked GSP, Condit, Diaz, Kampmann, ahead of him. He would've been between 6-8 with Kos and Rory.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Huge underdog by who's standard? Because not for Vegas.

BJ Penn +165
    Jon Fitch -210
    I didn't check Vegas, but I got 2-1 odds for Fitch winning a UD, that I happily took.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Penn worked the best gameplan he could of against Fitch and he still couldn't pull it off. No one thought Penn would shoot on Fitch and try for the takedown. I think it caught Fitch off guard. The fight swung mightily though and Fitch dominated the 3rd round.

Penn threw a Hail Mary and got to the 1 yard line. Close but no cigar.
    I watched the fight, and I made money off it. Again, I wasn't checking with Vegas, but I know a lot of pretty hardcore fans, and they weren't giving Penn any real chance. I did.

Penn's gameplan was go in and perform against a much, much larger fighter who was strong in every area he was weak. He fought Fitch to tie, I think he did fine...but we clearly differ on our opinion of Penn in general.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Thread Information