View Poll Results: Who do you think will win?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Demian Maia

1 14.29%
  • Jon Fitch

3 42.86%
  • Too close to call.

3 42.86%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Fitch vs. Demian Maia added to February's UFC 156 event

Maia takes this. I would go apeshit if he got an arm bar on fitch and finished it.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Maia takes this. I would go apeshit if he got an arm bar on fitch and finished it.
    Agreed, I think maia's bjj is just on a whole other level from the ppl Fitch has faced. This will be a very technical battle on the ground.

I believe a massive intangible which may very well decide the fight, will be Maia's conditioning.

He was never known to have a tremendous gas tank by any stretch, even at MW and with the weightcut, against a cardiocrusher in Fitch, I think will be a deciding factor and the greatest test for Maia at WW. We haven't really seen him pushed past the first round at WW against Stungun or Story and Fitch is the epitome of a "grinder".

This is one of those 51/49 matches for me, but I'll lean everso slightly towards the guy who can maintain top control with great cardio and submission defense in Fitch, despite personally pulling for my BJJ guy in Maia.

Fitch takes this. Fitch will drain Maia's lifeforce worse than Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I believe a massive intangible which may very well decide the fight, will be Maia's conditioning.

He was never known to have a tremendous gas tank by any stretch, even at MW and with the weightcut, against a cardiocrusher in Fitch, I think will be a deciding factor and the greatest test for Maia at WW. We haven't really seen him pushed past the first round at WW against Stungun or Story and Fitch is the epitome of a "grinder".

This is one of those 51/49 matches for me, but I'll lean everso slightly towards the guy who can maintain top control with great cardio and submission defense in Fitch, despite personally pulling for my BJJ guy in Maia.
    True about his cardio, but I'd kinda hope he trains hard for a grinder and work his cardio.

Great match. I cannot wait to see this! I hope it's a back and forth grappling battle.

I like Maia, I like Fitch, but I think Fitch takes this.

I actually can't remember the last time Maia subbed anyone off of his back, which is where I think he will spend most of this bout (when Fitch isn't out striking him.)

Quote Originally Posted by Goremire View Post
    I like Maia, I like Fitch, but I think Fitch takes this.

I actually can't remember the last time Maia subbed anyone off of his back, which is where I think he will spend most of this bout (when Fitch isn't out striking him.)
    Admittedly, he had never really been placed on his back for more than a few secconds. Most of his subs come from top position; I think the last guy to actually enter his guard was Sonnen.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

I will never count Fitch out of a fight, unless hes fighting a guy named GSP. Ill be rooting for Maia, but got a feeling Fitch takes this UD.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Admittedly, he had never really been placed on his back for more than a few secconds. Most of his subs come from top position; I think the last guy to actually enter his guard was Sonnen.
    Im pretty sure Maia gave up top control on Sonnen to switch to the triangle.

Maia throws Sonnen and lands on top in a mouted Triangle posistion, then rolls over giving Sonnen top control and locks it up at the same time. Sonnen taps with Maias balls on his chin. It was such an awsome transistion thats the only reason I rememeber it, thing of beauty.

If I had to think of a fight where Maia might have been on his back I would guess the Jason Mcdonald fight, If I can remember correctly that was a ground war up untill Maia got the RnC.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I don't truly see how Fitch has ever really left the top 3-4. I mean yeah you gotta put GSP, Condit, & Hedricks ahead of him, but given his track record I don't think the flash ko loss to Hendricks dropped him very far. Fitch has been fed a shit sandwich for a long time, and he has thrived anyways. If I was told there was gonna be a welter weight tournament tomorrow that doesn't feature GSP, my pick would be Fitch. Hendricks may be a bad match up for him, but after all Fitch has done I'd rather have him than Hendricks (although I do really like Hendricks). As for the maia fight, it should be a great ground fight that could go either way. I'd pick Fitch, but I'm not gonna count Maia out. The only problem I have with it is that if Maia wins he will be next for a title shot after the Hendricks/Kampman winner, but if Fitch wins he will continue to enjoy his shit sandwich.
    As consistent as Fitch has been at winning through out his UFC career he does have the big name wins to keep him in the top 5 while going over two years with out a win like he just did. He has beaten a lot of top 20-11 fighters but not too many top 10. Alves and Sanchez are the only two fighter he has wins over that were undoubtably top 10 at the time, granted they were both top 5.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Thread Information