Thread: USA TODAY: Ex-training partners hope UFC 154 co-headliner leads to title shot

Default USA TODAY: Ex-training partners hope UFC 154 co-headliner leads to title shot

USA TODAY: Ex-training partners hope UFC 154 co-headliner leads to title shot
    However, UFC President Dana White has suggested that if St-Pierre wins, he instead could be in line for a superfight against middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva. If that fight happens, the winner of Hendricks vs. Kampmann could be left in limbo. With that in mind, it would be natural to assume both men are hoping for Condit to score an upset, but Hendricks insists that's not the case.

"I never hope anybody loses," Hendricks said. "I don't care who wins and who loses. I just know that after Saturday night I'm going to be the No. 1 contender and I'm going to get a title shot. That's pretty much all I need to focus on. I can't think too much about the possibilities, because then I'll lose focus on what I need to do right now. I just have to stay calm and do what I do."

The bout should prove an interesting clash of styles. The 5-9 Hendricks was a four-time All-America wrestler at Oklahoma State, and his game is based on powerful hands and a strong grappling base. Meanwhile, 6-0 Kampmann comes from a striking background and boasts pinpoint combinations along with commendable durability.

Those contrasts led the two to work together frequently before Hendricks left Las Vegas, where Kampmann still resides, for his current home in Texas.

"Johny was helping me out with my wrestling, and I was helping him with his striking," Kampmann said. "We've trained before, so we know each other pretty well.

"That won't hold us back, though. We're coming to fight, and we're still going to try to punch each other's face off."

A Condit win against St-Pierre could lead to an immediate title shot for the Hendricks-Kampmann winner. And if St-Pierre wins, the co-feature winner could simply decide to wait patiently for a shot at the belt while St-Pierre takes on Silva.

With so many variables, Kampmann says the focus simply should be on impressing the Montreal crowd and letting everything else sort itself out.

"There are never any guarantees," Kampmann said. "You've just got to win, and preferably win in spectacular fashion, too."
    USA TODAY: Ex-training partners hope UFC 154 co-headliner leads to title shot | MMAjunkie.com

The bout should prove an interesting clash of styles. The 5-9 Hendricks was a four-time All-America wrestler at Oklahoma State, and his game is based on powerful hands and a strong grappling base. Meanwhile, 6-0 Kampmann comes from a striking background and boasts pinpoint combinations along with commendable durability.
    Umm, What!??!
    Those numbers aren't supposed to be what their records are, Is It????
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

i think it refers to height
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

4. Default

I see it as simple you leave your div to take a fight when a #1 contender is there, have a interim title and with in a year of the regular champ is unable to defend his belt forfiet it. I would offer a imediate shot to get the title back under reasonable circumstances. If I want to watch phony entertainment I'd watch WWE, the UFC is sopose to be real including how you earn fights. All the years Dana saying he's using boxing for what not to do needs to eat his own words.

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    Umm, What!??!
    Those numbers aren't supposed to be what their records are, Is It????
    lol =)
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    i think it refers to height
    hahaha!!! That makes way more sense now.

They do know that they could have done 5'9" and 6'0" right? hahaha.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Thread Information