USA TODAY: Ex-training partners hope UFC 154 co-headliner leads to title shot
However, UFC President Dana White has suggested that if St-Pierre wins, he instead could be in line for a superfight against middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva. If that fight happens, the winner of Hendricks vs. Kampmann could be left in limbo. With that in mind, it would be natural to assume both men are hoping for Condit to score an upset, but Hendricks insists that's not the case.

"I never hope anybody loses," Hendricks said. "I don't care who wins and who loses. I just know that after Saturday night I'm going to be the No. 1 contender and I'm going to get a title shot. That's pretty much all I need to focus on. I can't think too much about the possibilities, because then I'll lose focus on what I need to do right now. I just have to stay calm and do what I do."

The bout should prove an interesting clash of styles. The 5-9 Hendricks was a four-time All-America wrestler at Oklahoma State, and his game is based on powerful hands and a strong grappling base. Meanwhile, 6-0 Kampmann comes from a striking background and boasts pinpoint combinations along with commendable durability.

Those contrasts led the two to work together frequently before Hendricks left Las Vegas, where Kampmann still resides, for his current home in Texas.

"Johny was helping me out with my wrestling, and I was helping him with his striking," Kampmann said. "We've trained before, so we know each other pretty well.

"That won't hold us back, though. We're coming to fight, and we're still going to try to punch each other's face off."

A Condit win against St-Pierre could lead to an immediate title shot for the Hendricks-Kampmann winner. And if St-Pierre wins, the co-feature winner could simply decide to wait patiently for a shot at the belt while St-Pierre takes on Silva.

With so many variables, Kampmann says the focus simply should be on impressing the Montreal crowd and letting everything else sort itself out.

"There are never any guarantees," Kampmann said. "You've just got to win, and preferably win in spectacular fashion, too."
USA TODAY: Ex-training partners hope UFC 154 co-headliner leads to title shot | MMAjunkie.com