Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheick Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale

Default Cheick Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale

Cheick Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale

One fighter who was offered the bout against Nelson, but turned it down was French born heavyweight Cheick Kongo.

According to a Twitter message via UFC President Dana White, the call was made to Kongo to see if he would accept the bout against Nelson in December.

“Kongo turned it down,” wrote White in response.

Kongo last fought in July when he won a unanimous decision over Shawn Jordan in a largely lackluster bout. Kongo hasn’t commented about being offered the fight, but according to his Twitter account he’s currently at home in France.
    Cheick Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale | MMAWeekly.com

I'm trying to think of reasons why I'm not surprised... I Can't.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

3. Default

A lot of varible were not aware of, but turning down the fight with the info we have doesn't put Kongo in a good spot. Kongo's been around long enough that many casual fans know him. He looks like a great tough guy, but we've seen him fight to many times to know the difference.

I'm cool with this. Clearly, Cheick didn't get in a full camp of groin shots to fully prepare for Nelson and I mean....you can't expect him to go into a fight without the proper level of nutshot training. JEEZ!

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    A lot of varible were not aware of, but turning down the fight with the info we have doesn't put Kongo in a good spot. Kongo's been around long enough that many casual fans know him. He looks like a great tough guy, but we've seen him fight to many times to know the difference.
    But I can't help wondering why we're told every time a fighter declines a fight.

I'll never claim to understand dana's reasoning, but it does nothing to increase the brand or the sport for him to tattle on the phone every time someone does something he doesn't like.

I mean, I'm not a Kongo fan by any means, but he'd have a month to get a visa to come back to the states to hopefully jam in a 2 week training camp to face someone who is ranked higher than he is and who isn't a good matchup for him. It would be nice if he took the fight, but I can't think of anyone who'd be surprised that he didn't. If anything, I'm surprised he was even offered the fight.

But I don't understand why dana runs to twitter to give only one side of the story to a highly judgemental--and often stupid--fanbase. It doesn't hype the fight. It doesn't even make Meathead look good for taking the bout. It just negatively impacts a fighter's reputation. And a lot of times it's just misinformation: you get complaints about Shogun not stepping up to fight Jones on short notice--and dana conveniently forgets that Shogun was actually medically suspended when he was offered the bout.

I dunno...it just seems stupid to me.

Can anyone clue me into a good reason for it other than than the disproven "no publicity is bad publicity" myth?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I think sometime the concept of promoting your fighters goes over his head. I don't think there is a promoter that talks as much shit about his own fighter than Dana.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    I think sometime the concept of promoting your fighters goes over his head. I don't think there is a promoter that talks as much shit about his own fighter than Dana.
    I'm biased, but it's never been more obvious in combat sports that you've got a promoter who actually thinks he's more important than the actual fighters.

Even with scumbag bottom feeders like Don King, they were at least willing to pay second-fiddle to the actual talent, at least until the checks cleared.

I don't get that sense with dana, but again, I'm biased, I think he's terrible for the sport.

My question is how can Lorenzo not pick up on this and simply tell him to knock shit off? Unless there is something I'm missing and there's a legitimate reason for it.

Is he trying to set an example and shame other fighters into being sheep and following his whims? At the expense of the crediblity of the brand?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Perhaps there should be a nice bonus for accepting a fight on short notice...or is there one already?
    "I think everybody up here is grateful to be on FOX. They'd probably say, 'FOX, thanks.' Everybody but me. I would say, 'FOX, you're welcome. You've been telling everybody for years you've got the American Idol, and now you finally do.'" Chael Sonnen

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    My question is how can Lorenzo not pick up on this and simply tell him to knock shit off? Unless there is something I'm missing and there's a legitimate reason for it.

rh
    I think as long as the checks clear and that revenue train keeps on choo choo chooing all the way to the bank, Lorenzo Lamas doesn't give a damn what DW does. Other then calling media members cunts and fags, you know, the usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Thread Information