Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheick Kongo Turned Down Fight Against Roy Nelson at TUF 16 Finale

Never got the point of pointing out who turned down what fight either. Kongo fought Cain on very short notice if I'm recalling that right and Cain was a nightmare match up for him
    So it's not like he's scared. Guys should be able to turn down a fight here and there without being paraded around in a light that reflects poor on them

I don't agree with Dana commenting on which fighters turned down a fight. What relevance does it really have? Especially when the details about a fighter turning down a fight are so sparse and vague?

I sure would have enjoyed watching Kongo get KTFO by Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    It's not a myth my friend.
    Actually, If you study marketing it is a myth. If you're trying to break into a field, it works at first, but the individual or group is then faced with the task of either re-inventing themselves or one-upping themselves, and any momentum generated that way often quickly runs out of steam.

The trick is to get on the map and then continue to refine the image so that you keep the public interest. This has been a problem for zuffa for the last three or four years.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Actually, If you study marketing it is a myth. If you're trying to break into a field, it works at first, but the individual or group is then faced with the task of either re-inventing themselves or one-upping themselves, and any momentum generated that way often quickly runs out of steam.

The trick is to get on the map and then continue to refine the image so that you keep the public interest. This has been a problem for zuffa for the last three or four years.

rh
    In the case of business (in this case marketing) bad publicity is just that, bad publicity; and bad publicity is bad for business.

I think the old saying "the only bad publicity is no publicity" refers to the entertainment industry, entertainers specifically.

6. Default

A lot of points throwen around here, and not claiming mine a right either just a point. Maybe to the casual fan just listing a fighters name over twitter will give DW a bunch of feed back if they want to see a certain fighter and or with who. I think that they use twitter for a fast feed back on what people think or want. I've never used it and have no disire heck the cell phone has become a pain in my butt texting too. As work believes your always avalible. Mine goes off 24/7 now.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    A lot of points throwen around here, and not claiming mine a right either just a point. Maybe to the casual fan just listing a fighters name over twitter will give DW a bunch of feed back if they want to see a certain fighter and or with who. I think that they use twitter for a fast feed back on what people think or want. I've never used it and have no disire heck the cell phone has become a pain in my butt texting too. As work believes your always avalible. Mine goes off 24/7 now.
    I can see that, but I don't see throwing them under the bus as a social barometer. I actually think that would be an effective use of Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    NOTHING about these so called Pop Stars these days do to re-invent themselves.

Look at Lindsey Lohan. Bad press is good press.
    Lohan is a great example of what Omega1 was talking about, in the pure entertainment realm--but even she would love to increase her credibility, even if it's not essential to her moving forward as an actress or whatever she's doing.

But in the UFC's case, it is essential that they move forward. They're looking to be licensed in all 50 states, they're looking to fill Dallas Cowboy Stadium, etc. They can't just be in the public eye, they need to be appreciated for them to generate any growth in their audience. Thus my statement is more applicable.

I do believe dana feels that any publicity is good, but that's been illustrated to be a false belief. It's one of the reasons why I think zuffa has outgrown him.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

To me, Dana White exposing who turned down fights is a childish move to attempt to attack the manhood of fighters. Extremely passive-aggressive and egotistical behaviour, in my opinion.

They should be setting up Kongo vs. Reem, forget Bigfoot.

I think Kongo did the smart thing, he would have lost to Roy for sure. That fight would have been Roy vs. Kimbo pt. 2.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Thread Information