Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gilbert Melendez still sidelined, OUT of January title fight with Pat Healy

Gil will be a great addition.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Reports: Champ Gilbert Melendez still sidelined, out of January title fight with Pat Healy | MMAjunkie.com

And the January Strikeforce card takes a big hit, but id like to be the first to say welcome to the UFC Gill, your days of fighting the cans in strikeforce are over, and we will get to see just how good you really are
    For not being in the UFC Melendez has fought some very good competition. Thompson was top 10 when he took the title from him. Kawajiri was top 10 when they fought. Aoki was widely considered top 3-5. Masvidal and Thomson (rubber match) are good wins. They could both handle themselves very well in the UFC. Very few UFC LWs have wins over as many highly ranked competition over the last few years as El Nino. His competition has been nothing to sneeze at. When he jumps into UFC against a top 3 guy or even a title shot it will be because he deserves it.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Somebody is ducking Healy.
    Healy is a fucking TOUGH OUT for anybody. I could very well see a fight with Gil being a grizzled stalemate.

But I don't know about exactly ducking, because I think that if Gilbert ever fights in SF again, Healy is his only challenger really, so they'd most likely meet up once Gil is healthy....IF SF still exists. Maybe Gil's trying to put things off until he can get to the UFC where he'll get the bigger fights and more limelight, but for the time being, Healy's basically it, unless they want to make Punk/Gil for the trillionth time.

Gilby vs winner of Miller/J Lo sounds like a great intro fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Was a worthless fight anyways. I'd much rather see him wait and fight someone who will be an actual challenge. Healy shouldn't have even won his fight against Hirota ffs. I realize he is a tough fighter but he just doesn't have the stand up to deal with good stand up guys who are as good at wrestling or better than him.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

He didnt look very good against Jorge or Josh.... I still have him as a top LW, but I dont see how you can have him at #1 by any means...

Should be nice to see him come over to the UFC and Unify the belts. Not that LW is looking for new contenders anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Was a worthless fight anyways. I'd much rather see him wait and fight someone who will be an actual challenge. Healy shouldn't have even won his fight against Hirota ffs. I realize he is a tough fighter but he just doesn't have the stand up to deal with good stand up guys who are as good at wrestling or better than him.
    I'll agree and disagree with you here.

I agree that I had Hirota winning their fight and IMO, Healy laid an egg. I'll also agree that him getting a titleshot is pretty irrelevant in the "grand scheme of things" considering the utter lack of depth in the SF division and the marked disparity that alot of people see between Gil and the rest of the SF LWs.

But, I'll somewhat disagree with your comment about him not having the stand-up to deal with guys who are as good at wrestling than him, because his standup is somewhat enigmatic, in that he looks to do most of his striking in the clinch and mainly looks to strike until he can close the distance. In the case of Gilbert, I think Healy matches up very well in alot of key spots. Specifically, Healy is fucking massive at LW and is somewhat a stud at dirty boxing and clinchwork against the cage, which I think he has a good possibility of imposing on Gilbert after avoiding Gilbert's periphery striking. Healy can get heavy on Gil against the cage all night long and can really drag the fight out, when it goes to the ground, I think it is nearly a push given Healy's underrated submissions and size. Gil has crazy handspeed and alot of great skills, but I think Healy could come in with a great gameplan and nullify alot of what Gil does best.

I think Gilbert is the superior fighter and would probably win the fight, but Healy has alot of ways to take the fight, especially if Gil takes him lightly or doesn't expect to be in a clinchwar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Somebody is ducking Healy.

Thread Information