+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anthony Johnson vs. Chris Weidman

Default Anthony Johnson vs. Chris Weidman

I know AJ probably outweights him by close to 100pounds, and they dont fight in the same division at the time... but who you would take in this fight... Should AJ move down to MW

IMO, Rumble will only have the potential to be a legitimate threat if he moves down to 185. I see too many plusses to it and see too many variables that don't favour him at 205. His current state just gives off the impression that he doesn't really have too much regard for training at the highest level. If he applied himself, I think he could be scary at MW, but I'm not seeing that presently, even with the Imperial Athletics jump etc.

The problem with Rumble against Weidman is that while Rumble's a good wrestler, he isn't THAT good and much like in say, the Kos fight, I think Weidman gets him down and grinds on him, being smart to avoid the striking advantage Rumble will have on the feet. For me, Rumble can outstrike the grapplers and outwrestle the strikers, but hasn't put the pieces together yet to be the superior overall fighter.

I'd take Weidman via UD or maybe even a late 3rd RNC.

AJ has always had good wrestling and TDD, but like you said Weidman is an elite wrestler...

We would have to see how his TDD has come along... Training with someone like Evans every day who is superior to Weidman in the wrestling game... along with power, and speed should help him out a lot.

If it does stay standing, AJ probably puts him out.

IDK that I would say Rashad is a better wrestler than Weidman...and as far as top control, Weidman's top control is just sick...he is so quick to slap on that darce any time an opponent rolls to the sprawl position, and when you try to just stand up he is just fucking right on you like glue, much like Fitch but a bit more technical IMO.

I have to take Weidman. We also have to remember the dude hasn't had that many fights yet and has had a couple of them on very short notice. Before long he could have insanely good grappling for mma, and his stand up is getting better as well.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

I choose AJ, simply because his standup is much better and I believe his TDd is good enough to keep it on the feet long enough for him to put Chris away. Koscheck is similar to Fitch in that his cardio is top notch. I don't consider either AJ or Chris to have top notch cardio
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    IDK that I would say Rashad is a better wrestler than Weidman...and as far as top control, Weidman's top control is just sick...he is so quick to slap on that darce any time an opponent rolls to the sprawl position, and when you try to just stand up he is just fucking right on you like glue, much like Fitch but a bit more technical IMO.

I have to take Weidman. We also have to remember the dude hasn't had that many fights yet and has had a couple of them on very short notice. Before long he could have insanely good grappling for mma, and his stand up is getting better as well.
    As far as MMA wrestling goes... Evans is near the top... Did you see what he did to Davis, who is about as accomplished as they come...

Evans isnt the same old predictable wrestler you may have come to know... He credited his time training with GSP to his Evolution into his wrestling game.

But yes... AJ has good TDD... but to assume he would easily stop an eilte wrestler like Weidman's takedowns would be foolish...

He does have the speed and power to give Chris fits as well, as well as a decent wrestling game himself.

if johnson wouldnt gas, id give him the nod, but he has a cardio problem
    Dan "The G.O.A.T." Henderson

Member of the Demian Maia fan club

Anderson VS Shogun 2012 Dana make it happen

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information