Thread: John Maguire plans return to middleweight following UFC 154 loss to Matt Riddle

Default John Maguire plans return to middleweight following UFC 154 loss to Matt Riddle

John Maguire plans return to middleweight following UFC 154 loss to Matt Riddle

After dropping his second straight fight, John Maguire is changing weight classes.

The British fighter will return to middleweight after a nearly three-year run at welterweight following his Saturday loss to Matt Riddle (7-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) at UFC 154. Maguire (18-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) on Sunday announced the news on his Twitter account.
    John Maguire plans return to middleweight following UFC 154 loss to Matt Riddlehttp://mmajunkie.com/news/31707/john-maguire-plans-return-to-middleweight-following-ufc-154-loss-to-matt-riddle.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Fe ed%29

IDK, sometimes the weight division isn't the real issue nor remedy.

After loss to riddle i seriously thought he was gonna go down to LW. MW he's just going to get owned. MW division in ufc is a different beast. Hopefully he changes his mind and stays at WW or move down to LW if he wants to succeed.

I don't think his weight/size had much to do with his difficulties at WW.

That said, I could see him cutting to LW based off his frame. At MW he'll be much much smaller than the competition and likely not much faster either. I'd say switch camps, switch workouts, switch anything other than division.

Thread Information