Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Georges St. Pierre Irked by ‘Disrespectful’ Anderson Silva Questions Before UFC 154

Default Georges St. Pierre Irked by ‘Disrespectful’ Anderson Silva Questions Before UFC 154

Georges St. Pierre Irked by ‘Disrespectful’ Anderson Silva Questions Before UFC 154 Title Defense

“I think what pissed me off a little bit was that I hadn’t even come back yet. I was fighting Carlos Condit and everybody was asking me about Anderson Silva. I think it was disrespectful to me and disrespectful to my opponent,” St. Pierre said at tonight’s post-fight press conference. “I think you should give more credit to the challengers I have. They are the best in the world, and I need to focus on my opponent and not focus on the next step.”
    “This fight and the Jon Fitch fight were the two fights where I was really pushed to the edge,” said St. Pierre. “I knew it was going to be hard, and it was, especially in the beginning. The Octagon feel is something that you lose after a certain time. I wasn’t breaking, but mentally, you have to [continually] push, and that’s something I haven’t felt for a long time. I’m happy. I gave everything I had and left it all in the Octagon. I was exhausted. I have no regrets, and I fought the best I could. I had fun tonight.”
    “Before, when I got hit hard, sometimes I was a proud guy and tried to give it back right away,” said St. Pierre of the knockdown. “My experience I gained through all my fighting allowed me to recompose, defend myself and come back stronger. It was experience that allowed me to survive and come back after I got hit by that kick.”

The champion then sealed the deal by blasting Condit with straight punches and scoring with more takedowns in the final two frames. Though Condit gamely attempted to catch the two-time UFC king with submissions off his back, St. Pierre’s defense proved excellent for the duration of the bout. Likewise, Condit switched between and open and closed guard, keeping St. Pierre honest while in top position.

“I have to give Carlos credit, because he is the No. 1 guy. People forget, sometimes, that I’m fighting the best guys in the world. They say, ‘Oh, no finish?’ But the finish is not always easy,” said St. Pierre. “I studied Carlos a lot. He has a very special style, and he is a very clever guy. He only has one takedown in the UFC, but he baits submissions [off his back] and ends up on top.

“Sometimes, I felt like he left me some openings to go for submissions, and I didn’t go,” the champion continued. “I wanted to play more ground-and-pound and [avoid] the mistake I made against Dan Hardy by only going for submissions. I wanted to hurt him with my strikes.”
    Georges St. Pierre Irked by

UFC 154 results: Georges St. Pierre vs Carlos Condit Fight Metric report tells the tale

UFC 154 results: Georges St. Pierre vs Carlos Condit Fight Metric report tells the tale - MMAmania.com

I am surprised he said fitch pushed him to the edge. Seems like he beat Fitch every which way. But then again before Condit when he won he won handily, when he lost he looked like he just fucked up.

He should have mentioned BJ Penn.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

This is exactly what I said in that Anderson Silva thread. Dana and AS seemed to be trying to corner GSP and the dude was fighting the biggest challenge of his life and now he has to answer to superfight questions 2 weeks leading up to a fight with Condit?

Total lack of class.

GSP should never fight Silva, it wont be the least bit competitive. can and does get hit, Anderson Silva's striking is on a different level and I don't think GSP can hold him down. Stay at Welterweight and build a great legacy. Plenty of exciting fights for GSP in his own division. Anderson Silva should fight Jon Jones, period.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

So Silva should fight Jones because Jones can hold him down? I have to assume you don't think Jon Jones and Silva are on the same level in terms of striking.

Quote Originally Posted by v3xi View Post
    This is exactly what I said in that Anderson Silva thread. Dana and AS seemed to be trying to corner GSP and the dude was fighting the biggest challenge of his life and now he has to answer to superfight questions 2 weeks leading up to a fight with Condit?

Total lack of class.

It certainly is disrespectful and thats not how GSP rolls as also stated.
    Anderson Silva:

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    So Silva should fight Jones because Jones can hold him down? I have to assume you don't think Jon Jones and Silva are on the same level in terms of striking.
    Soares confirmed in a very recent interview that AS walks around at 225 which puts him much closer to Jones weight than GSP's but I really don't like the fight because Jones will just take him down and we won't get to see an awesome striking fight that we all want to see. I do think GSP vs AS would be more competitive than AS vs Jones and even Matt Hughes said GSP would win against AS so it's hard to argue.

Champions should also have to defend their belts and Weidman is much more deserving than Lietes or Maia ever was. Hendricks has KO of the year considering the circumstances so I really think the play here is to let AS GSP and Jones all fight one more fight then have AS vs Jones and GSP vs Diaz.

Soares confirmed in a very recent interview that AS walks around at 225 which puts him much closer to Jones weight than GSP's but I really don't like the fight because Jones will just take him down and we won't get to see an awesome striking fight that we all want to see. I do think GSP vs AS would be more competitive than AS vs Jones and even Matt Hughes said GSP would win against AS so it's hard to argue.

Champions should also have to defend their belts and Weidman is much more deserving than Lietes or Maia ever was. Hendricks has KO of the year considering the circumstances so I really think the play here is to let AS GSP and Jones all fight one more fight then have AS vs Jones and GSP vs Diaz.
    Jon Jones is tied up though with Sonnen and then who knows whats going on with Hendo and Machida. I wonder what Machida thinks about Silva fighting Jones.
    Anderson Silva:

Ofcourse Hughes said GSP could beat Silva. GSP whooped his ass!!
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Jon Jones is tied up though with Sonnen and then who knows whats going on with Hendo and Machida. I wonder what Machida thinks about Silva fighting Jones.
    GSP is just as tied up as Jones is. He has Hendricks, Diaz and maybe even McDonald after that. Silva should just accept the Bisping fight or the winner of Weidman/Boetsch at this point. If he just came out and destroyed guys right from the start he wouldn't have to worry about "big fights" because he'd be the biggest PPV buyrate guy the UFC had. Instead he comes off as a jerk in interviews and his mid fight antics. At least with GSP you know he's always trying his best to give the fans a good fight. Fans acknowledge that by buying his fights.

I will say this though. GSP has been lucky in the fact that the guys in his division have done a fantastic job of lining themselves up one by one as the number contender without too much debate required. All crazy tough guys who are well respected by fans, media and the MMA community in general(Dan Hardy being the exception there) . Can't say the same for the MW division. Still shocked that Anderson was willing to fight Cote, Leites and Maia without too many problems yet had to be talked into fighting Chael and still won't fight Weidman.
    Last edited by YukonJordan; 11-19-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

Thread Information