Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barao may defend interim bantamweight belt vs. Michael McDonald

Default Barao may defend interim bantamweight belt vs. Michael McDonald

Barao may defend interim bantamweight belt vs. Michael McDonald

Interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao may be asked to defend that belt instead of taking on injured champ Dominick Cruz, UFC president Dana White said after UFC 154.

White made the revelation while discussing Carlos Condit's decision to wait nine months and fight Georges St-Pierre instead of defending his interim belt. White said the two situations were not comparable, as the UFC had asked Condit to jump through hoops while pushing him aside for Nick Diaz on one occasion.

"We were talking about Barao defending his title now," White said. "Whether he wants to wait or not, we're going to go back to him soon probably here and have him defend it."

When asked if McDonald would be the challenger, he said, "I think so, yeah."
    Renan Barao may defend interim bantamweight belt vs. Michael McDonald - MMA Fighting

I wonder if interim title holders get a slice of the ppv buys....

Damn good fight. If Cruz is out, this would be an entertaining tilt for sure.

an interim champion actually defending his belt, theres something new.

Would this make him the first ever to defend it (serious question)

WE ARE ALL WITNESS: JANUARY 3, 2015

Good decision on White's part, I think it was a shame we didn't get to see Condit defend his title, because it really slowed the whole progress of the division, and it would make sense to keep the 135's rolling with Barao defending his belt.

I think that from a business and promotional perspective, it makes sense to make Barao fight one more time, because if he defends it and does so impressively, it'll only make him more of a scary and potential threat to Cruz's title, which in turn makes for even better hype vids and promos.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

good fight....

Barao

Michael MacDonald is a god damn beast. I'd have to pick em over Barao. And Barao is damn good himself. Be a great fight.

Id choose Baro in that fight. I think Baro saw his fight with Faber as more of a #1 contender fight, and people always tend to be much more conservative in those fights. If hes defending the belt, then he might look to make more of a statement.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    an interim champion actually defending his belt, theres something new.

Would this make him the first ever to defend it (serious question)
    I remember Big Nog defended his interim title against Mir, but that's the only other time I remember. This is a great fight though, just as exciting as Barao/Cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker50 View Post
    I remember Big Nog defended his interim title against Mir, but that's the only other time I remember. This is a great fight though, just as exciting as Barao/Cruz.
    Pretty sure Arlovski defended the interim HW championship against Eilers and Buentello while Mir was out with the motorcycle injury and the UFC just eventually changed his status to the official UFC HW champion when Mir's layoff was longer than expected.

Thread Information