View Poll Results: GSP should fight Hendricks or Silva next?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnny Hendricks

66 70.97%
  • Anderson Silva

27 29.03%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GSP should fight....

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    My opinion? Make GSP/Anderson happen before the fight goes the way of Fedor/Couture, Liddell/Wanderlei, etc.

Do we need another super fight? No. It's honestly now or never though. Once one of them loses, the stock of this fight goes down tremendously. Weidman and Hendricks will be there. Just do this stupid fight now or be done with it. If it doesn't happen next, I don't want to hear about it anymore.
    I think you have a great point, but at the same time I don't think GSP offers much to Silva based on how he looked the other night. I'm sure ring rust had a lot to do with it, so giving GSP another tune up fight might be a good idea.

Zombie is born!

Hendricks has earned the right for a #1 contender shot. On the other hand if GSP wants to fight Silva I think he's earned that as well, although he shouldn't leave the belt hanging in limbo forever.

Brown Pride

Quote Originally Posted by grambino View Post
    GSP v Silva is only "super" for GSP and he would be the only guy in that fight earning respect. you can't grow the integrity of the sport with gimmick money grabs.
    So GSP got no respect for the BJ fight? I guess he is just making up for that "lack of integrity" with this fight...

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    31 for hendricks, 17 for silva at this point.. clearly you know what the fans want.
    Do you know what a casual fan is?

Im guessing a better way to see what fight interests fans more would be to compare the PPV buys... rather than a poll on an MMA website, with few casual fans... Do you think GSP/Hendricks outsells GSP/Silva?

Quote Originally Posted by d-low View Post
    Hendricks definitely deserves his shot, but all we will see is GSP vs Kos 2 again...I look at Hendricks as the Ryan Bader of the division....very good wrestling and massive power, but not much else...
    Hendricks is a far better wrestler than Bader and also has a lot more power(for his division anyways)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    I think you have to make the Super Fight. These are two once in a generation fighters who are only separated by one weight class. Each has pretty much cleaned out their own division over the last handful of years. Asking the latest #1 contender to wait an extra handful of months is no big deal.

You want to see the sport grow, you put on a mega super fight like this and fill a major arena like Cowboys stadium. The press leading up to the fight, the gate, and the PPV buys will fuel growth for the sport.

Plus, how shitty would it be for us to still be debating hypothetically who would have won this fight 10 years down the line just because we wanted to be cordial to Johnny friggen' Hendricks? If Hendricks/Weidman are the true #1 contenders, they still will be after this fight happens.
    Good post...

It would be a shame to miss out on this fight... Same can be said for Jones/Silva... should Anderson beat GSP and then defend his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    I think you have a great point, but at the same time I don't think GSP offers much to Silva based on how he looked the other night. I'm sure ring rust had a lot to do with it, so giving GSP another tune up fight might be a good idea.
    I dont think anybody thinks GSP is going to steamroll and destroy Anderson... If he does win, it will look something like that. Which is what he would want.

GSP just beat the best striker as far as top WW's go, who has a slick guard, and also happens to be the same height as Anderson... I think GSP's performance showed what he is capable of beating Anderson... Along with all of his other fights...

but yes Carlos did catch GSP and we know Anderson has the best accuracy in the game and finishes the fight if his opponent is hurt... It would be a very dangerous fight for GSP...

Most of this we already knew.

The Anderson/GSP fight needs to happen... but im fine with the idea of both GSP and Anderson fighting 1 more time before that fight...

GSP vs. Hendrick and Anderson vs. Weidman... Both Jonny and Chris have earned their title shots...

Get contenders their deserved shots, and give GSP another fight like you said...

it would also give time for Bisping and Diaz to build themselves up to a title shot.

As long as Jones/Silva doesnt happen first, im cool with it... as Jones/Silva almost certainly means Silva/GSP doesnt happen...

Anderson loses, the fight looses interest, He wins... Why would GSP move up to fight a guy that just beat the larger champion Jon Jones.

Option 2... Should GSP/Silva happen in May in Dallas like Dana said... have

GSP/Silva
    Diaz/Hendricks
    Bisping/Weidman

it would be impossible to argue that the winner of those co-main fights dont deserve a title shot... It may be overkill though, especially for Hendricks... And those fights are very dangerous for all involved.
    Last edited by Kimbo> Rampage; 11-19-2012 at 09:42 AM.

This talk about champions doing their duty, contenders being shafted, bla bla bla. Take this fight for what it is, 2 of the greatest fighters of our time, true legends of the sport at the top of their game, finally have a chance to fight each other for the fans. This is probably the last time it will ever be able to happen. This is a once in a lifetime chance, but you guys would rather things just run as normal, champ faces contender, and never witness what could be the most cataclismic fight ever.

I'm beginning to think people don't want it to happen because they think GSP will loose. Which is ok, because I don't want to see Silva vs Jones since one of them would have to loose. But just admit that's the reason.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Rampage, the thing is Carlos Condit also has some of the weakest defensive wrestling in his division for a top fighter. He only defends about 42% of takedowns, where as Anderson defends 70% and at a higher weight classes. Based on that stat alone, Condit had almost no chance of beating GSP, and he still came pretty close.

Also, while I'd agree that Condit is one of the better strikers at WW, he doesn't hold a candle to Silva. Silva does pretty much everything Condit can do but better, the only place where Condit would have an edge is cardio.

The GSP who fought Condit would get absolutely merked by the Silva who fought Bonnar or Sonnen the 2nd time. I'd say give GSP one more fight, and Hendricks is a great challenge. Unlike all the other "hardcore" fans, I really do want to see GSP and Silva fight, if I think the fight will be competitive. I don't want to see GSP move up in weight when he's struggling to hold onto the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    I'm beginning to think people don't want it to happen because they think GSP will loose. Which is ok, because I don't want to see Silva vs Jones since one of them would have to loose. But just admit that's the reason.
    I think you're right, a lot of people like GSP more and don't want to see him lose. I don't really care, I like GSP as a person but as a fighter I'm not a big fan of his style. But, I at least want to see a competitive fight. GSP fighting Silva now feels like GSP would just be cashing in for a big pay day in which he has almost no chance of winning.

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    31 for hendricks, 17 for silva at this point.. clearly you know what the fans want.

still better then a meaningless catchweight fight. Outside of trolldog logic, it still makes more sense.
    No, you clearly know what the majority on this forum want. And I am willing to bet most of them want it just because RH wants it and they are playing follow the leader

Hendricks by a mile

GSP/Anderson wouldn't even be competitive, Anderson would destroy GSP.

Georges just came back from an 18 month lay off, including brutal rehab, fought the toughest competition he has fought in years (I think Condit was a tougher fight than Shields, Kos, Hardy, Alves, etc) dealt with the pressure of fighting in front of his home town crowd, and now he has to fight the best fighter on the planet, a weight class above him? And according to Dana, do it in May no less?? Makes no sense to me, I couldn't see it lasting more than a round unless Anderson wanted it to

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    This talk about champions doing their duty, contenders being shafted, bla bla bla. Take this fight for what it is, 2 of the greatest fighters of our time, true legends of the sport at the top of their game, finally have a chance to fight each other for the fans. This is probably the last time it will ever be able to happen. This is a once in a lifetime chance, but you guys would rather things just run as normal, champ faces contender, and never witness what could be the most cataclismic fight ever.

I think for some people though they've stated they don't mind if they do the fight as long as the title was relinquished (which realistically won't happen). You bring good points, but I think the biggest part to me is that the fight doesn't really strike me as being fair and the fact that all signs point to GSP wanting no part of this fight, yet the heavier fighter and the boss are chasing this fight trying to corner him into it.

As for me, they can do either one and I'll respect either decision as both fights have valid reasons to occur. However I'll admit the main reason I don't want to see it happen is because I think Anderson would knock out GSP and people will be like, "Oh my God, Anderson is p4p king this proves it!" even though I think p4p that GSP is a better fighter.

Brown Pride

I think it is absolutely amazing that so many people think GSP would get destroyed based off of the Condit fight. How many fighters could throw that kick the way Condit did? <5%? Gsp didn't get tagged for not having good enough defensive skill, he got tagged for letting his guard down for a second. Up until that point Gsp was clearly outstriking him, let's not even talk about grappling. Anderson is a counterstriker with great accuracy, GSP uses his timing and explosiveness to land and get away, not only do I think GSP could strike with Silva I think he would be able to get the TD very easily. All I'm saying is this fight would be 50/50.
    But I don't think now is the time for it, there may never be a time for it. Hendricks has done to much to not get the shot, if and when Weidman beats Boestch he will be able to make the same claim.

I picked Johny Hendricks, because I think he has done everything to secure that shot, and probably deserves the shot more than any other previous contender in the WW division and most contenders in other divisions. He has a 14-1 record (9-1 UFC record), beating 3 guys in the top 5 (at the time when he fought them) and two of them were by vicious KOs over guys known to take a punch. I just think he has deserved it and should get a shot.

Nonetheless, if either fight were to happen, I'd still be quite pumped.

Thread Information