Poll: GSP should fight Hendricks or Silva next?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: GSP should fight....

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    I think it is absolutely amazing that so many people think GSP would get destroyed based off of the Condit fight. How many fighters could throw that kick the way Condit did? <5%? Gsp didn't get tagged for not having good enough defensive skill, he got tagged for letting his guard down for a second. Up until that point Gsp was clearly outstriking him, let's not even talk about grappling. Anderson is a counterstriker with great accuracy, GSP uses his timing and explosiveness to land and get away, not only do I think GSP could strike with Silva I think he would be able to get the TD very easily. All I'm saying is this fight would be 50/50.
    But I don't think now is the time for it, there may never be a time for it. Hendricks has done to much to not get the shot, if and when Weidman beats Boestch he will be able to make the same claim.
    For me the Condit fight only plays a factor in it. Condit is a very good fighter and GSP did well against him especially considering the long layoff and injury. To me the main thing is that Anderson is much larger than GSP, Anderson is a dangerous striker that can end it at any moment, while GSP would likely have to hold Anderson down for a decision for 5 rounds, which I'm not sure if he'd even be able to do. This gives plenty of time for Anderson to land one shot that would end it.

If GSP were the same size as Anderson I feel like GSP would win, but when GSP walks around at 190-195 and Anderson walks around at 220-230 and his frame in general is bigger I think Anderson would smash him. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion as I'd give GSP a chance as he's a great fighter but I'd put my money on Silva.

As for the comment with only maybe less than 5% being able to land the kick that Condit did, well I'd put Anderson in that category and he'd be able to pull out a lot more different types of strikes than Condit could ever dream to do. If at any point Anderson were to land a shot that floored GSP, the fight would be over once Anderson moved in for the kill. Plus I think Anderson's takedown defense has greatly improved after training for his fight against Sonnen.

Brown Pride

Quote Originally Posted by Lesnar_FTW View Post
    For me the Condit fight only plays a factor in it. Condit is a very good fighter and GSP did well against him especially considering the long layoff and injury. To me the main thing is that Anderson is much larger than GSP, Anderson is a dangerous striker that can end it at any moment, while GSP would likely have to hold Anderson down for a decision for 5 rounds, which I'm not sure if he'd even be able to do. This gives plenty of time for Anderson to land one shot that would end it.

If GSP were the same size as Anderson I feel like GSP would win, but when GSP walks around at 190-195 and Anderson walks around at 220-230 and his frame in general is bigger I think Anderson would smash him. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion as I'd give GSP a chance as he's a great fighter but I'd put my money on Silva.

As for the comment with only maybe less than 5% being able to land the kick that Condit did, well I'd put Anderson in that category and he'd be able to pull out a lot more different types of strikes than Condit could ever dream to do. If at any point Anderson were to land a shot that floored GSP, the fight would be over once Anderson moved in for the kill. Plus I think Anderson's takedown defense has greatly improved after training for his fight against Sonnen.
    Condit has proven to be just as agile as Anderson. Not to mention when have you ever seen Anderson come forward with combinations and then finish them off with a high kick? That just isn't his style, do you really see GSP leaving himself wide open like that while Anderson is attacking? I do agree that he has improved TDD, but that is against the cage. GSP has the wrestling to get anyone down, let alone Anderson.

I think it is absolutely amazing that so many people think GSP would get destroyed based off of the Condit fight. How many fighters could throw that kick the way Condit did? <5%? Gsp didn't get tagged for not having good enough defensive skill, he got tagged for letting his guard down for a second. Up until that point Gsp was clearly outstriking him, let's not even talk about grappling. Anderson is a counterstriker with great accuracy, GSP uses his timing and explosiveness to land and get away, not only do I think GSP could strike with Silva I think he would be able to get the TD very easily. All I'm saying is this fight would be 50/50.
    But I don't think now is the time for it, there may never be a time for it. Hendricks has done to much to not get the shot, if and when Weidman beats Boestch he will be able to make the same claim.
    GSP was not clearly outstriking Condit, it was pretty even and then he got rocked. GSP's face was a mess after the fight, and even before the kick landed GSP had taken a fair amount of damage, his eyes were starting to swell which hurt his vision.

When GSP get's in kickboxing matches, he often times loses rounds. He lost rounds to Shields, Serra, Penn, and got rocked by Condit. He's just no where near Silva in terms of striking.

And I guarantee you if odds come out, Silva will be a huge favorite and rightly so.

Condit has proven to be just as agile as Anderson. Not to mention when have you ever seen Anderson come forward with combinations and then finish them off with a high kick? That just isn't his style, do you really see GSP leaving himself wide open like that while Anderson is attacking? I do agree that he has improved TDD, but that is against the cage. GSP has the wrestling to get anyone down, let alone Anderson.
    Condit may be "agile", but he's no where near Silva's level of striking. It's not even an argument. Also, Condit has some of the worst defensive wrestling in the WW division, where as Silva has some of the best at MW. Again, no comparison.

Do people honestly think Condit is the same caliber fighter as Silva? I'm a big fan of Condit, but the guy has been beaten up so many times, it's really his heart that keeps him in fights at the highest level not his physical talent.
    Last edited by goodtimes; 11-19-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Zombie is born!

Lol no, Condit is certainly not as agile as Silva is...that's just silly.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

There are still several fights that make good sence for GSP at WW,Hendricks and Diaz just to name a couple but Silva wants a super fight,fight Jones! He has fought at LHW several times( where he should be anyway) and I see no way for him to make WW. It has always been once a champ has cleared a division he goes Up a division to further prove his abilities but Dana"s wonder boy wants to go down to fight the champ of a division he cant even make weight for. This is "the greatest fighter ever"? No dought Silva is the greatest MW champ ever but PFP should always be willing to prove it. Silva vs. Jones? To me that is the fight
    never argue with a fool. people listening may not know the difference.

Put Condit against anyone and it will be an awesome fight. Back on topic, GSP vs. Hendricks should happen. There is no reason that he needs to fight Silva, nothing to prove IMO.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    My opinion? Make GSP/Anderson happen before the fight goes the way of Fedor/Couture, Liddell/Wanderlei, etc.
    ...all of those guys were in the same weight class, and Randy was willing to walk away from his title in order to make it happen.

Do we need another super fight? No. It's honestly now or never though. Once one of them loses, the stock of this fight goes down tremendously. Weidman and Hendricks will be there. Just do this stupid fight now or be done with it. If it doesn't happen next, I don't want to hear about it anymore.
    If it causes a delay in title defenses I have a problem with it. If it doesn't happen before August 2013, they should both vacate their belts to make it happen. If they do that, I have no problem with it, particularly since Georges has said he'd want to stay at MW if he gains weight, and since Anderson would either retire with a loss or start looking at Jones with a win.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Take this fight for what it is, 2 of the greatest fighters of our time, true legends of the sport at the top of their game, finally have a chance to fight each other for the fans...
    ...bla bla bla...

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    No, you clearly know what the majority on this forum want. And I am willing to bet most of them want it just because RH wants it and they are playing follow the leader
    Really?

That would be the saddest thing I've ever heard of, if it's true.

I don't have a problem with the superfight, in and of itself. I'm not a fan of them--particularly when there is such a disparity in size between the fighters, and that's also true for Silva/Jones--but I don't hate them.

I do have a problem with 1 title defense in a two year stretch for both weight classes, if everything goes on hold to make this happen.

I don't know that it matters, anyway. I'm pretty sure that even if the superfight doesn't happen, and Anderson defends in 2013 [instead of making yet another crap mma-fighter-in-a-movie movie with segal] he is going to bypass the winner of Boetsch/Weidman for a shot at Bisping, provided Bisping gets past Belfort.

But ultimately, I don't think anyone's opinion on this board matters, certainly not mine.

There is only one opinion out there that actually makes a difference, and that's Georges. Time will tell.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Is anyone else as scared for GSP in his next fight as I am??? I really don't see Anderson fight happening and never have really. I think that bully douche Anderson should fight JJ it's the only super fight that makes sense at this time, Or Cruz/Aldo should Dom get by Barao
    (I don't see that happening).

Back to point though...Hendricks is one scary scary ass fight for Georges...It's possible he could stuff GSP's TD's he has MASSIVE KO power in those hands of his and he happens to be a southpaw . Also I think Johnny is a bit more unpredictable with his strikes then Josh. If GSP cant take ;Hendricks down at will I find him in a world of trouble noway in hell he wants to stand with Hendricks for 5 rds.

Thinking about the Hendricks fight to me almost makes the Anderson fight that much more interesting seeing as it would be the biggest cash fight ever for both men,Anderson dont have very great TDD and it could be the last big money fight coming GSP's way for a while...
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    Back to point though...Hendricks is one scary scary ass fight for Georges...It's possible he could stuff GSP's TD's he has MASSIVE KO power in those hands of his and he happens to be a southpaw . Also I think Johnny is a bit more unpredictable with his strikes then Josh. If GSP cant take ;Hendricks down at will I find him in a world of trouble noway in hell he wants to stand with Hendricks for 5 rds.

Thinking about the Hendricks fight to me almost makes the Anderson fight that much more interesting seeing as it would be the biggest cash fight ever for both men,Anderson dont have very great TDD and it could be the last big money fight coming GSP's way for a while...
    Watch Hendricks vs Koscheck and you will be less scared. GSP will fight him just like Koscheck as well and the end result will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    What you are misunderstanding is that RD is the example of a casual fan with much of his logic and fighter views as evidence. So, a vote taken by more knowledgeable fans like ones on this website will yield a different result than when you ask the casuals. They will crowd to watch Anderson/GSP while GSP/Hendricks will be a 400k PPV.
    I actually agree with you but make no mistake I would love to see Hendricks fight GSP! What I am not willing to do is give up any chance of a once in a life time superfight between GSP/Silva ever happening. You just don't get to see super fights like this happen especially given both of their track records.

Hendricks isn't going anywhere and honestly I don't see anyone beating him not even GSP. However I have always wanted to see Silva fight GSP ever since people had those 2 ranked as top p4p. GSP vs Silva was on the menu long before Weidman, Hendricks and even Jon Jones became mainstream fighters so for me this fight gets priority.

Vanity fights are entertaining to watch (like Fedor vs Zulu/Choi). Don't worry the number 1 contenders will get their chance.

Norris:
    You can't take a poll on a forum that is dominated by hardcore mma fans and expect any kind of accurate feedback on what both hardcore/casual fans want to see.

Especially when you take into account that casual fans likely make up most of the UFC's target audience. Yes those beer drunken rednecks who start booing as soon as a fight hits the ground. Thats like polling a gay bar on which president they voted on and being surprised it wasn't Romney. Anytime you take statistics from a bad sample you'll likely yield unfavorable results.

Pst!
    Oh and I'm narcin again so please excuse any typos.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information