Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva on GSP, “This is New Georges. This is New; I Like It!”

Hybrid View

Default Anderson Silva on GSP, “This is New Georges. This is New; I Like It!”

Anderson Silva on GSP, “This is New Georges. This is New; I Like It!”

“This is new Georges. This is new; I like it,” said Silva in an interview with Fuel TV following the fight.

St-Pierre had to go the distance with Carlos Condit, but he fought through being dropped by a head kick to dominate the fight, re-establishing himself as the undisputed UFC welterweight champion.

With all the talk of the superfight, many assumed it was a given if St-Pierre won the fight. It may happen, but UFC president Dana White already said that he’s going to give GSP a little time to recuperate before broaching the subject with him. Fuel TV, however, broached the subject with Silva on Saturday night, and he was definitive in his response. He wants to fight Georges St-Pierre… in his next fight.

“Yeah, this is my plan, but it’s not my decision,” said Silva.
    White indicated that he would like to see the fight happen at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas, and as soon as May of 2013. Silva isn’t quite so sure about that. He likes the location, but timing weighs on his mind.

“No. I need time for training. I need time for preparation for this fight,” he responded when asked about a May timeframe.
    Anderson Silva on GSP, "This is New Georges. This is New; I Like It!" (UFC 154 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Firas Zahabi: Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre at 170 pounds would be 'fair fight'

The way Zahabi sees it, with Carlos Condit out of the way after GSP's UFC 154 victory, there are plenty of good options available at 170 pounds: Nick Diaz. Johny Hendricks. Anderson Silva.

Wait ... Anderson Silva at welterweight? Isn't that expected to be a catchweight super fight, if the bout is made?

Not necessarily, as far as Zahabi is concerned. On Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, Zahabi told MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani that if Silva, the UFC middleweight champion who has competed several times at light heavyweight, wants to fight St-Pierre, then he should come down to GSP's weight class or at least get as close to 170 pounds as he can.

"I wouldn't want [St-Pierre] to move up, I'd want Anderson to come down," Zahabi said. "I don't know if Anderson can make 170 or something close to that. If Georges goes up, I know he won't be able to come back down, he's told me many times if he goes up he won't go back down, and I believe him when he says that because he'd want to spend some serious time getting extra size on him. and, ... I would want [Silva] to come down as close to 170 as possible if that was the case.

Most educated conjecture on the negotiations toward the potential super fight, which the UFC would like to host in May in either Dallas, Toronto, or Brazil, has the fighters splitting the difference and meeting at 177.5 pounds. But Zahabi is wary of the notion, point out that Silva would still have a significant size advantage after rehydrating between weigh-ins and fight night.

"You know, the thing is, the next day he'll balloon up over 200, and I don't think that's fair," Zahabi said. " I don't think that's a fair fight. If he can make the cut to 170, that would be great. Georges has to fight everyone at 170, and that's the case. Really I think it would be even and fair. Even if [Silva] would balloon up the next day, he would be weakened by the weight cut, there would be something there."

Meanwhile, Zahabi, St-Pierre and company are taking a little bit of time to relax and reflect on St-Pierre's unanimous decision victory, a compelling fight which was much more entertaining than the 50-45, 49-46, 50-45 scores would seem to indicate.

Zahabi was pleased with St-Pierre's performance in his first fight in 19 months.

"I think it was the way I expected him to look," Zahabi said. "Barring that [third-round Condit] head kick, I think he didn't show too many signs of ring rust. I think there were some signs of ring rust, but after last Saturday night, I think that ring rust is shattered, and his next performance will be even better."

The Tri-Star trainer admitted to being nervous when Condit drilled St-Pierre with a head kick to the right temple and nearly finished the fight. But as a true fight fan, he was able to express admiration for both St-Pierre's resilience in weathering the storm, and in Condit's tenacity and fight smarts.

"Oh yeah, that was not a good exchange for Georges and Georges didn't see that coming whatsoever," Zahabi said. "He was badly hurt and he showed what a heart he has. you know, a lot of people criticized him, ‘he's not a fighter because he wins all the time without getting hit too bad.' He showed, now you know he's a fighter. That's not an easy thing to come back from. Carlos did a great job, he got on top, he hurt Georges to the body, he didn't just attack the head that was already protected and covered. he went for the body as well. I was very impressed by how Carlos handled that, and I was very impressed that Georges got up and exposed his back in getting up. He took a risk and he took Carlos back down and really controlled the rest of the round well."

The visual of a bruised and battered St-Pierre at the UFC 154 post-fight press conference, pressing an icepack to the area where Condit kicked him, will no doubt be one of MMA's most enduring images of 2012. Zahabi, though, says that GSP's injuries look worse than they actually were, and if anything, the champ got a charge from engaging in such a battle.

"They were very cosmetic injuries, I think it invigorated him," he said. "It was a nice scrap and the crowd enjoyed it, it was at home, everyone was thrilled, it got fight of the night. It was a great experience for the crowd and for Georges, I think. He was really happy that everybody was entertained, and that was one of the things he holds most dear, he wants people to enjoy the fights. ...

"Georges will take a little time off, I know he won't take much time off from training, that's the kind of person he is, he'll get right back to it, and I'm pretty sure he'll be begging for a fight before April. I'm sure he'll be ready by then. Right now he can't train for a month, you know, no serious training for a month once you get kick in the head like that, just in terms of precaution, he's gotta take time off."
    Firas Zahabi: Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre at 170 pounds would be 'fair fight' - MMA Fighting

Rashad Evans: Georges St. Pierre defeats Anderson Silva via 'razzle-dazzle'

Appearing on "The MMA Hour," "Suga" had this to say on the matter:

"Oh yeah. I definitely think he's got a shot against Anderson. One thing about Anderson is this right here, Anderson's a great fighter, I mean, the one thing with Anderson is he has a problem defending the takedown. And then, on the ground sometimes, he allows people to advance position way too much. You see Chael Sonnen, the second time he fought him he took him down, and before the round was over, he had him in the mount. You get a guy like Georges St. Pierre in a position like that, Anderson may not make it to another round. So what it comes down to is, does Georges have enough razzle-dazzle in order to get in and take the shot? I say yes. I think so, I think Georges, beats Anderson, I really do."
    Rashad Evans: Georges St. Pierre defeats Anderson Silva via 'razzle-dazzle' - MMAmania.com
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 11-20-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Jesus christ did Condit do a number on GSP's face with those strikes from his back.

Zombie is born!

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    Jesus christ did Condit do a number on GSP's face with those strikes from his back.
    As well as the elbows from the knockdown and that beautiful reversal Condit landed. St. Pierre's face always seems to get cut and bruised when he gets hit...some guys (Penn) don't see to show the damage.

Related...I am 100% against the Silva vs St. Pierre fight...Hendricks is next, Silva should just leave him alone, go do movies and let Boetsch and Weidman fight for the full MW title. Ugh, the more this goes on the less I like Silva.
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

Honestly id rather see silva vs wiedman than gsp. Im not too interested in gsp vs hendricks, though.. but he does deserve his shot. So bummed kampmann lost. If nick diaz beats kos I'd b excited to see him fight gsp after

What does he mean by, "This is new Georges"?

Brown Pride

Quote Originally Posted by Lesnar_FTW View Post
    What does he mean by, "This is new Georges"?
    He means, this Georges is better than the old one.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    He means, this Georges is better than the old one.
    LOL!
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

So we got Matt Hughes and Rashad saying George would beat Anderson. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by v3xi View Post
    So we got Matt Hughes and Rashad saying George would beat Anderson. Wow.
    Why is this surprising to you? Im sure theres plenty of other professional fighters that think Silva would win.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Man John(He is too old and to much of a fucking beast to call him Johny) Hendricks needs his shot a GSP.

Thread Information