+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: With Sakara's team planning appeal of UFC 154 DQ, ref Miragliotta explains his decisi

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Well this is my opinion, I know people will disagree

1st hit - Back of the neck (I'm not sure if that's legal or illegal?)
    2nd hit - Side of the head
    3rd hit - Side of the head
    4th hit - Back of the head
    5th hit - Back of the head
    6th hit - Side of the head
    7th hit - Side of the head
    8th hit - Back of the neck

If the back of the neck is illegal then I stand corrected. I would also like to point out the shots in the gif that drop and put out Cote are legal. The second shot slumps Cote down which is 100 percent clearly to the side of his head. And then the 6th and 7th shots slump him down even more which both were to the side of the head.

But that's how I saw it.
    Since when is 3 illegal shots the threshold for legality? One shot may deserve a warning, and two to three warrants a halt during the bout. The problem was that they couldn't just stop the action anyways because Cote was considered hurt enough to stop the contest.

If referees misinterpreted illegal shots and allowed a fighter to continue/win in previous fights, that is an issue of inconsistency and misinterpretation of the rules, not a justification for Sakara's illegal shots.

Nonetheless, if we were to go by your interpretation of what was back of the head and not, it would have been 4 shots as back of the neck is in fact illegal. "Striking to the spine or the back of the head" is a foul. The cervical vertebrae, that is part of the spine, starts at the neck.

It still should be a NC as Cote was too damaged to continue.

Should not have been a DQ win for Cote, imo.

Referee failed --- he is there to warn the fighter who is hitting the back of the head to keep the fighter in line and prevent him from repeatedly pounding the neck/back of the head. Had the referee properly warned Sakara, the fight would have had a different result. The ball was completely dropped by the ref.

I don't believe that Alessio was entirely at fault for his actions as most of the blame goes to the referee. Dan Miragliotta failed to protect Cote and should be rightfully punished. The commission really has no power of NV, so we will have very little transparency to the little that will be done to Dan.

Still no one seems to be accepting the fact Dan warned Sakara about illegal shots to the head and Sakara continued. How can a fighter not be at fault for continuing to throw illegal punches?

Would I not be at fault for breaking the law if the cops were to busy eating donuts too arrest me or chase me down?

Sakara should have some self restraint to refrain from throwing illegal punches.. You don't continue to thrown them until a point is taken - after already being warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Still no one seems to be accepting the fact Dan warned Sakara about illegal shots to the head and Sakara continued. How can a fighter not be at fault for continuing to throw illegal punches?

Would I not be at fault for breaking the law if the cops were to busy eating donuts too arrest me or chase me down?

Sakara should have some self restraint to refrain from throwing illegal punches.. You don't continue to thrown them until a point is taken - after already being warned.
    Matt Hamill never responds to referee warnings but never gets DQ'd. It'll catch up to him someday.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

In the situation the two fighters were in he shouldn't even need a warning really. The back of the head is the most likely strike point when the two fighters were where they were. As soon as the opening was there he started throwing hammerfist like a spastic child wanting more icecream. If he'd exercised some caution he might have landed a few good legal shots instead of 8-9 illegal ones. A DQ is the only solution to that scenario.
    Hating on Anderson Silva before it was the cool thing to do.

The idea of a "true number one contender" is the stupidiest MMA idea to be perpetuated by fans and media, EVER.

HATES the new MMANEWS forum. Bring back the dark background.

Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    I have yet to re-watch the fight, but if a warning was issued, and sak continued to throw strikes deemed illegal by the ref, then he's at fault, and a DQ is the right call.
    I haven't re-watched the fight, but when I watched it I can remember on the replays Dan yelling something, what that something is I couldn't say. It could have been watch your shots, or protect yourself?

8. Default

On an unrelated note, this is definitely the longest thread ever involving Alessio Sakara.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information