Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pat Miletich: Georges St. Pierre’s Feints, Fakes Key to His Game

Default Pat Miletich: Georges St. Pierre’s Feints, Fakes Key to His Game

Pat Miletich: Georges St. Pierre’s Feints, Fakes Key to His Game

Former UFC welterweight champion Pat Miletich joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show to discuss GSP’s win, his dominance in the UFC and more.

On St. Pierre returning after knee surgery:
    “I think he shocked a lot of people. Obviously the fans of Georges St. Pierre and his camp felt that he was stronger and better than he was before the injury, but a lot of people had doubts. I honestly was, like many people, a little concerned about him coming off, what was it, 18, 19 months off with that ACL injury? And going up against a guy like Carlos Condit, who’s dangerous to anybody on the planet. Being able to come out and -- I mean, he big brothered the hell out of Carlos. He was so much stronger, so much bigger and was very crisp. He controlled the fight pretty much almost from start to finish.”

On St. Pierre’s condition: “The kid’s a horse. He’s physically developed so much. He looks so much bigger than he did before the injury even. It’s amazing he can make 170.”

On what Condit might have done differently:
    “If you can’t march St. Pierre backwards a little bit, you’re really going to have a lot of trouble because those transitions off his striking, into his takedowns, are so smooth. He’ll get you to commit and think that you’re in a boxing match and the next thing you know, you’re getting taken down and vice versa. That’s something that Carlos did not take advantage of, and obviously standing in front of somebody as opposed to sitting and watching it on TV are two different things … but he definitely didn’t commit. He was not committing on three-, four-, five-punch combinations, where probably that’s what you’re going to land -- your third or fourth or fifth shot, and get things rolling for yourself, and he definitely did not do that.”

On defending St. Pierre’s wrestling: “You have to dictate when Georges is going to shoot on you. If you don’t dictate that and he dictates it, it’s easier for him to take you down. If I can dictate when Georges or any other fighter is going to shoot on me by putting pressure on him at certain times -- when I’m putting pressure on somebody and lighting them up with punches, I know they’re going to shoot and so then I’m prepared for it. That’s something that Carlos didn’t do. That’s something they needed to remind him of, is just go out, bend your knees, get low and when you start unloading on him -- you’ve got to unload, number one, but when you start unloading on him, you have to be prepared to change levels and drop with him so that he doesn’t get his takedowns.”

On the kick Condit landed that stunned St. Pierre:
    “He really didn’t load up for that kick that landed. That was a pretty slick move. He was throwing a hand combo and really slid his head off to the right hard and kind of disappeared out of sight on Georges and threw that left leg up high. Very deceptive -- that’s a deceptive kick. There’s a few guys out there that are flexible and lanky enough to do that sort of thing. It’s a really dangerous kick, but something like that -- it didn’t look like he even threw it with 100-percent power at all, but Georges didn’t see it at all, and that’s why he got dropped with it. That’s the beauty of the deception: You can land shots that you don’t throw 100 percent that can put somebody away.”

On St. Pierre’s standup and how it sets up his takedowns: “Nobody has been able to, from the very beginning, control the feint and fake game and get Georges out of his rhythm and mess with his head. From there, everything unravels. He controls the fight, he controls the setups, he controls the pace and you’re screwed. That’s something that only comes, honestly, with sparring with incredible strikers. That’s the only way you’re going to do it, and to do that, you’re going to donate blood for three or four years before you figure it out.”
    Pat Miletich: Georges St. Pierre

GSP's takedowns are just unstoppable.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

i think gsp is just too explosive and sets up his shots so well that it'll be very difficult for anyone to stuff them with any sort of regularity

I really think right now at 170 Johnny H is the only one with the wrestling skill set to match up with him, and that huge left hand makes a bit of a difference as well. Kos and Fitch are not the wrestler that Hendricks is, and neither have that one punch ko power that he has shown the last few fights. He definitely poses a nice challenge to GSP. I would much rather see that fight than Silva, who is way too big and long. I know GSP was a bit rusty and got touched a bit more than normal, but Silva is 10x the striker that Condit is, I would not like to see GSP get wrecked in a fight, when he still has a couple guys at 170 to roll with, and the same for Anderson, give him Bones and be done with it.
    Fav fighters: Lyoto, Amir, GSP, Lesnar, King Mo

dimerules28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigsemi View Post
    I really think right now at 170 Johnny H is the only one with the wrestling skill set to match up with him, and that huge left hand makes a bit of a difference as well. Kos and Fitch are not the wrestler that Hendricks is, and neither have that one punch ko power that he has shown the last few fights. He definitely poses a nice challenge to GSP. I would much rather see that fight than Silva, who is way too big and long. I know GSP was a bit rusty and got touched a bit more than normal, but Silva is 10x the striker that Condit is, I would not like to see GSP get wrecked in a fight, when he still has a couple guys at 170 to roll with, and the same for Anderson, give him Bones and be done with it.
    Maybe pure wrestling but mma wrestling Georges is far better then Hendrix. Lol Hendrix doesn't even wrestle in most of his fights so how would you even know

One key difference for GSP in this fight was aggression. From round one to the end. He did not let Condit setup. I was very impressed with his ability to get to condit first and track him down all over the cage. Condit needs range to be effective and set up timing patterns. GSP eliminated that ability. For me that was key to limiting the offense on Condit and limiting his damage. Very smart gameplan.
    When the sounds of violence are heard, what side will you be on...

Quote Originally Posted by bigsemi View Post
    Sorry I know Hendrix knocked Fitch out, but honestly? He could have out wrestled him too? I just don't think so, Fitch and Askren are the two best wrestlers at 170. Thats what they do. They get you down and control you, I think Hendrix would have gotten out wrestled all night had that fight stayed on the ground. And if he can't catch GSP early or late in the fight, he's going to get real familiar with the ceiling of what ever venue they are fighting in.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Joe, you realize Hendricks is a 4 time all american and two time champ, right? Not saying GSP won't take him down like he has everyone else, but Johny H. has some pretty good credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Joe, you realize Hendricks is a 4 time all american and two time champ, right? Not saying GSP won't take him down like he has everyone else, but Johny H. has some pretty good credentials.
    I don't follow wrestling but I know Kos has similar college credentials. Do you have any insights on how they compare on pure wrestling (not MMA wrestling)?

Thread Information