Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garza considering move to bantamweight division, wants to be 'the Jon Jones of 135'

Default Garza considering move to bantamweight division, wants to be 'the Jon Jones of 135'

Pablo Garza considering move to bantamweight division, wants to be 'the Jon Jones of 135' - MMAmania.com
    "Me and my coach really are looking into it, and I actually am thinking about dropping to 135 and winning the title at 135," Garza told MMAmania.com in a UFC 154 post-fight interview.

Standing six feet, one inch tall, Garza is tied with Cole Miller and George Roop for being the tallest fighter in the featherweight division. Should he move to bantamweight, the 29-year-old would have a three-inch height advantage over the next largest 135-pounder.

While his decision is not yet set in stone, Garza said he is confident the move will happen.

"I'm going to think about it," Garza said. "It's probably going to be a couple of trial runs first, you know, see how I feel working with the diet, getting a good dietitian and stuff like that and if I can make '35 and dominate, I'm going to do it."

Garza's height paired with his 73-inch reach gives him a physical advantage over almost everyone at both featherweight and bantamweight. His physical attributes remind a lot of people of UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones. Garza agrees with that outlook, and thinks if he shifts weight classes, he can become a world champion similar to "Bones."

"If I make 135, I know I'll win the title," Garza said. "I think I will be like the Jon Jones of 135."

Lol even this guy makes it seem like he thinks Jones advantages at lhw have made him successful.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Lol even this guy makes it seem like he thinks Jones advantages at lhw have made him successful.
    So you think if Jon Jones was the size of Rashad Evans, he would still be as successful?

6 foot 1 135 pounds...Jesus H. Christ that would be a weird looking dude at weighins

I can't imagine him looking any skinnier. He looks malnourished as it is. Maybe he'll change his nickname to Starvin' Marvin lol

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by d-low View Post
    So you think if Jon Jones was the size of Rashad Evans, he would still be as successful?
    Simply put... HELL NOOOO

I've said it before, he's not as talented as ppl make him out to be. He's just so much bigger, he has a size advantage that's way beyond normal for anybody. I think he struggles cracking top ten at hw.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    6 foot 1 135 pounds...Jesus H. Christ that would be a weird looking dude at weighins
    I weighed that in highschool and I was 6'3.

Simply put... HELL NOOOO

I've said it before, he's not as talented as ppl make him out to be. He's just so much bigger, he has a size advantage that's way beyond normal for anybody. I think he struggles cracking top ten at hw.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't see him beating anyone in the top ten at heavyweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't see him beating anyone in the top ten at heavyweight.
    Ppl are always talking about him facing Jds/Cain. Its premature imo,Browne if not a teammate, would give Jones trouble. Kongo, Johnson, Strive are also very interesting match ups for him imo.

Ppl are always talking about him facing Jds/Cain. Its premature imo,Browne if not a teammate, would give Jones trouble. Kongo, Johnson, Strive are also very interesting match ups for him imo.
    Ya they're interesting for sure but he'd lose to any of them

Thread Information