Thread: Chad Mendes Thinks He Deserves Better Than Hacran Dias

Default Chad Mendes Thinks He Deserves Better Than Hacran Dias

Chad Mendes Thinks He Deserves Better Than Hacran Dias

Chad Mendes (12-1) isn't sure why the UFC has paired him to fight Hacran Dias (21-1-1) next month. Mendes admitted that he's not certain how the upcoming fight will bring him back into the title picture. JosÚ Aldo (21-1) defeated Mendes back at UFC 123 to become the first UFC featherweight champion.

"I confess that I was taken back," said Mendes to TATAME. "I fought against Cody McKenzie and Dana White was saying that he would give me a better fight. Not that I'm taking away the merit of Hacran, but he has just one UFC fight. The guy is still unknown and it was not exactly what I had in mind to come back to fight for the title."

Dias won in his debut at UFC 147 after signing a three fight deal. He took home a unanimous decision win. Mendes defeated Cody McKenzie (13-3) over the summer needing only 31 seconds to earn his third career knockout. Aldo is scheduled to defend his title next against Frankie Edgar (14-3-1) in early 2013.

While Mendes doesn't think that a fight with Dias makes sense, he's not taking anything away from this opponent.

"This will be a tough fight because he's a tough fighter, but I feel as if that means putting everything aside, "said Mendes.
    Chad Mendes Thinks He Deserves Better Than Hacran Dias - FightLine.com

I agree with him. The Aldo fight aside, Mendes has torn up the FW division with an undefeated record and was given Cody McKenzie and now the sleeper in Dias, while he's arguably a top 3 FW in the UFC right now.

That said, everybody else's dancecard is full, so unless he wanted to just sit around and wait for a higher profile opponent, this was probably one of the better fights he could get.

He does remember that Jose Aldo is still holding the title right? He really offered nothing to Jose in their fight, he had Jose's back and couldn't take him down... then he got ktfo. Not sure what he thinks will be different if he gets another shot.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    He does remember that Jose Aldo is still holding the title right? He really offered nothing to Jose in their fight, he had Jose's back and couldn't take him down... then he got ktfo. Not sure what he thinks will be different if he gets another shot.
    I still believe that the entire complexion of the Aldo/Mendes fight would've been different had Aldo not been holding onto the cage to stop the initial slam/takedown, especially with the rumours at the time that Aldo was having a helluva time making weight, and the somewhat everpresent questions concerning Aldo's cardio. Aldo could've very well been in for a grinding dogfight, with the fight going in Mendes' favour as the fight went deeper.

It isn't that Mendes couldn't take Aldo down, he HAD the takedown/slam prepped and ready, Aldo grabbing the cage nullified it.

I think that if Mendes got another shot, he would get Aldo on his back and could push him further than any other FW at the moment, aside from Frankie or maybe Lamas or Zombie.

damn that was one of the most effective fence grabs that i have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I still believe that the entire complexion of the Aldo/Mendes fight would've been different had Aldo not been holding onto the cage to stop the initial slam/takedown, especially with the rumours at the time that Aldo was having a helluva time making weight, and the somewhat everpresent questions concerning Aldo's cardio. Aldo could've very well been in for a grinding dogfight, with the fight going in Mendes' favour as the fight went deeper.

It isn't that Mendes couldn't take Aldo down, he HAD the takedown/slam prepped and ready, Aldo grabbing the cage nullified it.

I think that if Mendes got another shot, he would get Aldo on his back and could push him further than any other FW at the moment, aside from Frankie or maybe Lamas or Zombie.
    I do remember the fence grab that stopped the one take down attempt, but how did that one fence grab stop all the rest of the take down attempts? Chad had Jose's back and had him in the air at one point, away from the fence, and couldn't do anything.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    I do remember the fence grab that stopped the one take down attempt, but how did that one fence grab stop all the rest of the take down attempts? Chad had Jose's back and had him in the air at one point, away from the fence, and couldn't do anything.
    To begin, you said Mendes couldn't even take him down and I think the fence grab GIF invalidates that argument, because he had Aldo dead to rights if not for the grab.

From there, I think that one takedown could've allowed Mendes nearly a minute to impose his will on the top, which could've shifted momentum going into the second, place a more reticent approach to Aldo's striking and could've potentially taken a little zip out of his step.

I'm not saying Aldo would've lost the fight, but Mendes's game is so oriented around takedowns, cardiocrushing and GNP and I believe that had that takedown been achieved, things could've been different. He had A takedown and Aldo grabbed the fence, regardless of the other takedown attempts, the one that got away could've swayed the tides....

Thread Information