+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UFC: Tom Lawlor says Carmont never really tried to win the fight

1. Default UFC: Tom Lawlor says Carmont never really tried to win the fight

UFC: Tom Lawlor says Carmont never really tried to win the fight - Bloody Elbow

UFC 154 was a fairly solid card, but yet again, the plague of questionable judging struck in more than one fight. Tom Lawlor vs Francis Carmont was a bout that left a sour taste on the tongues of fans, not to mention Lawlor, himself. While not the most exciting display, it was clear, at least to me, that "Filthy" won that battle. I recently had the opportunity to talk to Lawlor to get his overall thoughts on the disappointing decision. Here's what he had to say:

I definitely think I won, but I guess you could make a case for him winning if defensive tactics are scored higher than being aggressive and actually trying to fight. I could see how the judges scored it for him based on that, but I don't know why they would. It sucks. It wasn't the most exciting fight, and I just felt like he didn't try to finish, or even try to fight, really. He did this neat thing with his fingers, like he was trying to cast a magic spell on me, and he threw some body kicks, but he didn't move forward a whole lot or inflict any damage. He didn't even try to win. I, at least, tried to rip his head off with a couple guillotines, got a couple takedowns, and tried to move forward. He didn't really have a whole lot of offense, and if you can score a fight for someone that just backs up and puts up some defense, then sure, he did a great job. I don't ever want to be involved in a fight like that again.
    Dana White took to Twitter, and minced no words in letting everyone know his feelings about the fight, saying, 'Who cares, both guys lost.' He never spoke directly to the fighters though, and reserved his comments exclusively for Twitter.

I haven't heard anything from anybody with the UFC. I'm just really disappointed, not so much with the outcome, but just in the way the fight played out. I thought he'd try to come after me and finish me, and I guess I could've put myself in more danger, but I was also trying to win. I'm not so sure what his plan was. I guess it (Dana's tweet) hurts a little bit, but it's tough to go out there and fight somebody if the person is just holding onto your wrists and putting their fingers in your eyes. I'm not sure what more I could have done to push the pace further. I tried to move forward, throw strikes and finish, but you know, it was tough. I know the fight was frustrating to watch. It was frustrating for me to be in. Trust me, that one is not going in my highlight reel. I can understand where Dana was coming from

I also saw on Twitter that a lot of people were talking about the commentary from Rogan and Goldberg. They did seem to be kind of, I don't want to say biased towards him, but he'd land a punch or two, which didn't happen that often, but it seemed like that got played up more than the shots that I landed. It's tough to go back and watch it in retrospect and wonder if maybe they didn't have a good view or had a bad camera angle. I'm not sure what was going on there..
    Tom stated that he was uninjured, and hadn't received word on a medical suspension, so there's nothing to hold him back from being booked on a card in early 2013.

When would I have gotten injured in that fight [laughs]? I didn't get a suspension. I was fine. I maybe saw the doctor for like, twenty seconds. I haven't heard anything from the UFC, so I have no clue what the next step is. For all I know, I may not have a job. I don't know anything right now. I just have to go back to the drawing board and hope that a spot opens up. I'm 100% healthy and I'm not burnt out on fighting. I just want to get right back in there and get a W.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

I think I have to agree with Lawlor. Carmont looked amazing against Vemola. Compared to that fight, it was like we were watching two completely different fighters. I was rooting for Carmont but Lawlor won that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

3. Default

Agree it takes two to fight and like how Tom showed his disagreement in a positive sort of way.

4. Default

Rogan had every inch of Carmont's penis in his mouth that fight. It was one of his most biased commentating jobs ever.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

A bunch of whining here... Lawlor was holding him up against the fence for most of the fight and he's complaining about carmont not coming to fight. It was just a shitty fight by both guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information