Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Denis Retires From The UFC, Cites Fear Of Brain Damage

Default Nick Denis Retires From The UFC, Cites Fear Of Brain Damage

Nick Denis Retires From The UFC, Cites Fear Of Brain Damage

Nick Denis, who went 1-1 in his UFC career, has retired from MMA. Denis made the announcement on his personal blog recently.

Denis (11-3) entered the UFC with a victory over 22-second knockout of Joseph Sandoval after competing on the regional tour for several years.

In his last bout, Denis was submitted by Roland Delorme.

“I really believe in living life,” Denis said. “I always say to people follow your heart. I’m trying to say that I followed my heart and in doing so, I reached one of my goals.”

Denis suffered a fractured orbital bone in the Delorme loss. He said, “I came to the UFC and made an amazing debut. Had a great second fight.”

The 29-year-old, who had signed a multi-fight contract with the UFC, cited research in Chronic traumatic encephalopathy as his reason for leaving MMA.

Who?
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you don’t know what happened. Hey, I’ve been around.” - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

It's a shame to see him retire. That elbow KO in his debut was amazing, and because of it I think I would have always tuned in to see him fight. I'd be interested to read the articles/research that has led to Denis' retirement though if anybody can lay their hands on it.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

who??
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Man, anytime you even bump your head you get some damage...stupid brain, just kinda slides around inside your head of which the inside is kind of spiky. Can't say I blame him with all the training and shots they take to the dome just there. I hope the best to him but I think he could have continued competing but I'll never fault anyone for doing what is best for themselves.
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

good for him, IMHO. He is a smart dude if he was a PhD candidate in biochem and i'm sure he can be involved in MMA/athletics in other ways.

Sounds like a smart enough reason to hang em up

Well if you're going to be scared of something in MMA, that would be it.

Sure. Ok. I don't like getting hit in the noggin either.

You've got to wonder if there isn't a little more to this than Denis is letting on. I understand his concern, and he's right to worry when he earns is money getting punched in the face, but it just sounds a little over-cautious to me, like giving up driving your car because a crash might happen?

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Thread Information