Thread: Yves Edwards vs. Jeremy Stephens rebooked for UFC on FOX 5

1. Default Yves Edwards vs. Jeremy Stephens rebooked for UFC on FOX 5

Yves Edwards vs. Jeremy Stephens rebooked for UFC on FOX 5 | MMAjunkie.com

After their initial meeting was infamously canceled last minute, lightweights Yves Edwards (41-18-1 MMA, 9-6 UFC) and Jeremy Stephens (20-8 MMA, 7-6 UFC) will give it another go at UFC on FOX 5.

As MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) first reported earlier today, Edwards' original opponent, John Cholish (8-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC), recently scratched due to a groin injury.

In his place steps Stephens, whose incarceration canceled their planned bout this past month at UFC on FX 5.

Edwards today tweeted news of the change.

UFC on FOX 5 takes place at Seattle's KeyArena. The main card airs on FOX following prelims on FX and Facebook, and Edwards vs. Edwards is expected to air on the night's FX broadcast.

Stephens' arrest (due to an old warrant) and UFC President Dana White's inability to spring him from a Minneapolis jail on fight day resulted in the bout's late cancellation. Edwards was paid his show money and rebooked to fight Cholish. However, with Stephens now free, he's stepped in as Cholish's replacement to preserve the original booking.

Edwards was on a 4-1 run before a December loss to "The Ultimate Fighter 14" champion Tony Ferguson, which is the well-rounded fighter's most recent bout. The streak included UFC wins over the likes of Rafaello Oliveira (TKO), Cody McKenzie (submission) and John Gunderson (decision).

Stephens most recently came to Edwards' aid when the longtime vet withdrew from UFC on FUEL TV 3, and he posted a losing effort against Donald Cerrone. The setback was the second straight for "Lil Heathen," who previously lost a decision to former WEC champ Anthony Pettis. The hard-hitting veteran's notable victories include knockouts of Rafael dos Anjos and Marcus Davis, as well as a decision victory over Sam Stout.

The full UFC on FOX 5 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)
    •Champ Benson Henderson vs. Nate Diaz (for lightweight title)
    •Alexander Gustafsson vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
    •Rory MacDonald vs. B.J. Penn
    •Matt Brown vs. Mike Swick

PRELIMINARY CARD •Lavar Johnson vs. Brendan Schaub
    •Mike Chiesa vs. Marcus LeVesseur
    •Nam Phan vs. Dennis Siver
    •Raphael Assuncao vs. Mike Easton
    •Ramsey Nijem vs. Joe Proctor
    •Yves Edwards vs. Jeremy Stephens
    •Daron Cruickshank vs. Henry Martinez
    •John Albert vs. Scott Jorgensen
    •Tim Means vs. Abel Trujillo
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I like this fight!

3. Default

Stephens usually makes a good fight and Yves should be a good match up.

This fight doesn't even go to the ground for 2 seconds.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

FUCK YES! I was seriously looking forward to this fight. I don't think this card can possibly get better. I'm really glad Stephens has gotten his shit straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Good, I love this match up. I really wanted to see this fight last time it was scheduled and now it makes an already outstanding card that much better. On top of that, I"M GOING TO BE THERE!!!

Thread Information