Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Diaz Wants Main Event Fight When He Returns; Still Targeting Georges St-Pierre

Default Nick Diaz Wants Main Event Fight When He Returns; Still Targeting Georges St-Pierre

Nick Diaz is very excited about his return to action in 2013, and he’s looking for the biggest fight possible.

Still serving out his one-year suspension after testing positive for marijuana following his last bout in 2012, the Stockton native is eyeing his return early next year when his ban is lifted in February.

Once licensed, Diaz is gunning for the biggest fights possible, and that includes settling a long standing rivalry with UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre or current top contender Johny Hendricks.

“Nick Diaz is a main event fighter,” Diaz’s manager and trainer Cesar Gracie told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday. “He wants main event fights.”

In a perfect world according to Gracie, Diaz would return to the UFC and face St-Pierre right away with the UFC welterweight title on the line.

Diaz and St-Pierre have no love lost for each other, and both competitors still appear interested in settling the score inside the Octagon. Last weekend during St-Pierre’s return to action against Carlos Condit at UFC 154, Diaz tweeted that he was not impressed by the champion’s performance.

St-Pierre fired back during the post fight press conference by saying, “I did better than Nick did against Carlos (Condit”. St-Pierre defeated Condit by unanimous decision at UFC 154, while Diaz lost to Condit at UFC 142 last year.
    Source: Nick Diaz Wants Main Event Fight When He Returns; Still Targeting Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com
    Last edited by rivethead; 11-26-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: cut out a bunch of crap from the middle

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

They should start pimping Condit/Diaz II now.

That's a main event, and it would sell itself.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I'm hoping for Rory Mac to dominate Penn and make a case for a Big Diaz fight. Number one contender fight it could be but if not it would make a bit of sense anyway and be fun IMO. And I'd personally like to see Condit vs Fitch at this point.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

Rory against the other Diaz brother would be epic and sells itself. I think its too soon for Condit/Diaz 2 but I wouldn't complain since it would be another awesome fight and would soak this board with tears again when Diaz probably loses a 2nd time.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsteven View Post
    I'm hoping for Rory Mac to dominate Penn and make a case for a Big Diaz fight. Number one contender fight it could be but if not it would make a bit of sense anyway and be fun IMO. And I'd personally like to see Condit vs Fitch at this point.
    Rory has come out and said that he wont fight GSP for the title no? Having Rory fight Diaz for the number one contender seems kind of a waste if Rory will decline a fight with GSP should he win. Although I will admit that it would be fun to see Rory rag-doll Nick the way he did Nate.

Yeah I see whayt you are asaying and yes I have heard those words come out of his mouth but in the interviews I have heard/read when he says those things or is broached about a GSP match he just has this way about how he answers that makes me think he is just trying to not stir up drama and tow the company line but in reality if he were offered a title shot hewould jump at it very quickly . Could be over analyzing here but that is the impression that I get. Kid is very hungry at this point in his career and I dont think he could bring himself to turn away from an oppurtunity like that.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

Nick Diaz is a main event fighter, hes just not a main event press conferencer lol
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    They should start pimping Condit/Diaz II now.

That's a main event, and it would sell itself.

rh
    I'm down for this fight but personally I think they should bank this rematch for a rainy day down the road. I'd like to see Nick take on a fresh competitor. I think Kos is a good opponent to test his TDD and his ability to fight a top wrestler. He's going to have to face a wrestler eventually, welterweight is shark tank for them. Kos is a big enough name that if he loses a wrestling match, it won't hurt his standing too bad and if he wins it puts him in a higher marketable position to face Georges down the road. I wouldn't object to a rematch with Condit, I just think there's been too many quick turn around rematches and the overall appetite isn't there.

Diaz is coming off of a loss and 1 year suspension...i don't see them booking a title fight out of the gate.

It's not like the UFC books title shots based solely on shit talking and selling PPVs, right?
    LJS-NEMS

Thread Information