Thread: Penn Media Call Recap: No One Says My Name Anymore When Talking About The Greatest

1. Default Penn Media Call Recap: No One Says My Name Anymore When Talking About The Greatest

BJ Penn FULL Media Call Highlights: No One Says My Name Anymore When Talking About The Greatest, I Don’t Like That | UFC NEWS MMA News | Mixed Martial Arts | UFC News | BJPenn | MMA Fight | UFC Fights

Tuesdays teleconference for UFC on FOX 5 the Prodigy BJ Penn was asked the first question of the conference from the Canadian Press.

Q: Its been said you have expressed interest in fighting Rory McDonald. Can you tell us what convinced you to come back to fighting? After you have seem to have called it quits in the cage and why is McDonald the opponent you would have wanted?

BJ:

I was just kinda hangin out contemplating on the beach whether to fight again its better than staying on the couch. I realize I cant do this forever. So I might as well make the most of it if I can.

As far as fighting with Rory, I think hes a great opponent. Hes an up and comer. One of the top guys everyone says hes gonna be a champion soon so. Ending up with a fight against Rory it wasnt a tough decision. Ive said in a couple of interviews Id like to have a fight with team tristar again. They are a great team. Everybody knows they have a lot of champions in their club. I just think its a great fight all around.
    Q: Twitter exchange between you and rory responding to a picture of him referencing the acne in his back and drug test. Do you feel hes doing something he shouldnt

BJ:

Im not gonna sit here and get into that with everybody right now. Im sure there are people in all sports that bend the rules but Im not gonna sit here and point the finger and as far as the doping and all that concern I realize that its a pain staking thing for the UFC and I dont want to put them through that. Theyve got their own way they take care of their thing but if I wanted to do a comeback I wanted to make it as safe as I can when I step to the ring. Im not pointing the finger saying Rory you do steroids. I have nothing to do with that Im just protecting my own butt.
    Q: What are yoru long term goal? Is it all based on this fight? Do you see a future after that? Do you see anything passed Dec 8?

BJ Penn:

I am just focusing on this fight. I got no more plans after this. Once I do have any plan I will call Dana and well talk from that point. I got no plans after Dec 8 my whole life is just into that.
    Q: Do you think superfights are good or bad for the UFC?

BJ Penn:

Super fights are great. I think superfights causes a lot of hype and Dana knows that. Look at the name itself superfight its awesome. Its what the sport is all about. Get the 2 best fighters in the world and put them in the ring and I gotta give that to Dana White he does that all the time no Pacquiao-Mayweather situation ever happen. Hes the man. Dana White is the man.
    Q: There is people who believe in you, people who doubt you. What do you expect from yourself on Dec 8?

BJ Penn:

I really expect a lot out of myself on Dec 8. I got back my old trainer that trained me for the Jens Pulver, Joe Stevenson, Sean Sherk fight. We took my belly off. I think the best thing for me was the fight getting postponed and pushed back.

I started this training camp at probably 40% body fat. I was just gonna get in shape a little, go there and give it my best effort but as things started going on Rory ended up pulling out of the fight 10 weeks out of the fight.

Then he was saying I looked fat and a whole bunch of different things, hell probably end up killing me in the ring. That really lit a fire under my butt and I think Im down 10% now.

Im ready to go. Im expecting the best BJ Penn that Id ever seen. Well just see how this all plays out.
    Q: Do you feel that you need someone to light a fire under you that you needed some sort of challenge to come from somebody like this? Whether its just a set of words or whatever if so why?

BJ Penn:

Fighting its still not a sport for me.

I dont know if I should be saying this out on a conference call. Fighting is still a fight for me its always been. Im not a great athlete that can play any sport. I cant do much different sports but one thing I can do I can always fight back. I go into a fight. This is a fight this isnt putting a ball in a hole.

This has always been a a fight for me. I just love it when its that way. I love it when my opponent says hes fat, Ill end up killing him, his nothing, this and that. Its just Oh, wonderful! I couldnt ask for anything more.

I never lost my old mentality actually. I lost guys to prepare properly. I want to be able do this for the rest of my life and I want to give it a good shot with this fight coming up.
    Q: You were the smaller man when you fought GSP 2x. Do you think George owes it to the sport to fight Anderson Silva?

BJ Penn:

That fight is on George himself but everybody in this phone call knows what BJ would do. You know what I would do if Dana called me and say fight the champion above. You know what I would do.
    Q: I wonder how much you think about your legacy. I know you will fight anybody at any time. People speak of you in such high regard I wonder if that factors in what you do and the decisions you make. Just curious in how you respond to all that adoration you get from your fans.

BJ Penn:

I texted Dana a couple month ago saying I watch all these interviews and no one says my name when they are talking about the greatest fighters anymore and I really dont like that. It really bothers me. I know its my fault and Im the reason why people talk about me when they talk about GSP or Anderson Silva. My name was always in the mix. Its never in the mix any more.

I told Dana I got a real problem with thats actually a big part of my motivation to come back and show them and do a good fight here on December 8.

As far as you saying people admire me and different things. I want to thank all those people. Everything is current. Im a glass half empty kind of a guy. Everything is current. I dont want to be known as he was good back in the day. I want to be known as one of the best. With that said, I dont want to sit here and say I want more admiration because as you said a lot of people admire me but I still think I have some left to accomplish.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

I started this training camp at probably 40% body fat. I was just gonna get in shape a little, go there and give it my best effort but as things started going on Rory ended up pulling out of the fight 10 weeks out of the fight.

Then he was saying I looked fat and a whole bunch of different things, he’ll probably end up killing me in the ring. That really lit a fire under my butt and I think I’m down 10% now.
    Hahaha.

So he is saying he is down 10% and now at 30% body fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Hahaha.

So he is saying he is down 10% and now at 30% body fat?
    In the media call he said he was under 10% body fat. I think it was just a typo.
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you dont know what happened. Hey, Ive been around. - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

Thread Information