Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alessio Sakara signs four-fight contract extension with UFC

1. Default Alessio Sakara signs four-fight contract extension with UFC

Alessio Sakara signs four-fight contract extension with UFC - MMA Fighting

Despite losing his last three fights, Alessio Sakara isn't going anywhere. In fact, the Italian fighter recently signed a new four-fight contract extension with the UFC.

Sakara's manager Lex McMahon confirmed the news with MMAFighting.com on Thursday.

The 31-year-old Sakara (15-10, 1 NC) is coming off a controversial loss to Patrick Cote earlier this month at UFC 154. At first, it appeared as though he was going to win the fight after a first-round stoppage, however, referee Dan Miragliotta decided to disqualify him for repeated illegal shots to the back of the head. Sakara's camp later appealed the loss, but the decision was upheld last week.

According to sources close to the UFC, the promotion is working towards booking Cote vs. Sakara 2 at some point in 2013, however, the fight isn't finalized just yet. McMahon wouldn't comment on the possibility of the rematch happening.

"We believe this gesture is indicative of the level of respect the UFC has for Alessio," McMahon said of the contract extension, "and we want to thank Dana White, Joe Silva, Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta for their long-standing support of Alessio. He is very focused on showing his appreciation the next time he steps into the Octagon."
    The 10-year veteran, who also holds an 8-1 professional boxing record, made his UFC debut in Oct. 2005. His current UFC record is 6-7 with 1 no contest.
    *I've always wanted to note that Alessio is one of the current, longest tenured fighters in the UFC being with them the last 7 years. Not many fighters can claim that.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Win or lose, the guy is always involved in exciting fights. He's underappreciated because he doesn't really speak English. Obviously not every fighter on a card is going to be an 'A' level fighter, but he's the ideal 'B' level fighter to have on a card.

He's lost three in a row most guys would of been cut not extended

Quote Originally Posted by TODDJR88 View Post
    He's lost three in a row most guys would of been cut not extended
    To quote Lorenzo fertitta "we like guys who war." That might not be verbatim but the point is clear bring it every time and they will keep you around. Sakara brings it every time win lose or draw. Like my boy Chris leben I see them retiring as UFC fighters. They both have average records but they come to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    To quote Lorenzo fertitta "we like guys who war."
    This is very true - look at a guy like Chris Lytle. It's just a shame we are still so far behind in understanding the consequences of CTE

Loss Patrick Cote UFC® 154 Live on Pay-Per-View: St-Pierre vs. Condit
    Nov 17, 2012

Loss Brian Stann UFC on FUEL TV : Gustafsson vs. Silva
    Apr 14, 2012

Loss Alessio Sakara UFC on VERSUS: SANCHEZ vs. KAMPMANN
    Mar 3, 2011

sure looks like 3 to me

To quote Lorenzo fertitta "we like guys who war." That might not be verbatim but the point is clear bring it every time and they will keep you around. Sakara brings it every time win lose or draw. Like my boy Chris leben I see them retiring as UFC fighters. They both have average records but they come to fight
    I can get w this

Really? Wow, that's kind of surprising. He got his ass handed to him in the Weidman and Stann fights. Maybe they're doing this to keep some fans in Italy?

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I love the fact that they are signing a guy who just brings it everytime the cage locks behind him.

Thread Information