Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johny Hendricks Ready to Test GSPís Wrestling and Chin

1. Default Johny Hendricks Ready to Test GSPís Wrestling and Chin

Johny Hendricks Ready to Test GSP's Wrestling and Chin (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

With three wins over top ten opponents in the last 12 months, Johny Hendricks stands head and shoulders above any other welterweight contender right now.

Hendricks flattened former teammate Martin Kampmann at UFC 154 to solidify his spot as the top dog in the division, and now heís just waiting word on when heíll get the chance to face champion Georges St-Pierre.

Through those three wins heís picked up, Hendricks has twice knocked out opponents with first round victories over Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann using his deadly left head. But to hear Hendricks tell it, thatís not even his most dangerous weapon.

ďThatís why I laugh when people say Ďweíve figured out your left hand.í My boxing isnít my strong point. Itís something Iíve only been doing for five years; Iíve only been striking for five years. Iíve done wrestling my whole entire life,Ē Hendricks told MMAWeekly Radio. ďSo if anybodyís going to say anything, wrestling is my strong point. I feel my jiu-jitsu is better than my hands.Ē
    Wrestling is a weapon that St-Pierre has established very well over the last several years, but former NCAA champion Hendricks isnít backing down from a grappling match with the Canadian icon.

The only caveat to the whole St-Pierre vs. Hendricks fight happening is a potential super fight still looming overhead involving UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. St-Pierre and Silva have been tied together in a potential fight for mid-2013 in what could be the biggest fight in UFC history.

Hendricks isnít upset however that he may have to wait for several months to get a shot at St-Pierre because all thatís going to do is allow him time to get better.

ďI can only get better. Look at how much better I got in just three months of being able to focus on training. Iím still developing as a fighter; Iíve only had 14 fights in my career. I think once I hit 20 fights thatís where Iím going to be at my peak,Ē said Hendricks.

ďAlways improving, thatís the No. 1 goal of mine.Ē
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

GSP is going to test your face with jabs.

Alrighty Kos.

Look at how much better I got in just three months of being able to focus on training
    He achieved a KO in few seconds because of his insane power. It is not that in those few seconds we could see how much he has improved.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

5. Default

funny him saying that, but he admitts he's still learning. He just might beat GSP in wrestling or JJ if it was only one disapline allowed, but thats not GSP's mma fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    He achieved a KO in few seconds because of his insane power. It is not that in those few seconds we could see how much he has improved.
    I agree. I don't like taking away from quick wins, but it makes it very hard to understand how skilled a fighter really is, how they handle adversity, etc. Houston Alexander always comes to mind.

I think Hendricks is very impressive, but I don't feel that I've seen enough to really have a sense of how he'll fair against GSP. Though, again, I need to rewatch his earlier like with Pierce.

His Kos fight really didn't impress me; I actually thought he lost that fight.

I know GSP has the overall better MMA game, but Johny only needs one punch.....Which I would love to see hit it's target

I think my sig pretty much sums up how I feel about this.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by v3xi View Post
    GSP is going to test your face with jabs.
    GSP is about to experience the 2nd coming of Serra no matter whom he fights next.... a knockout with a side of stankylegs is on the menu.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    GSP is about to experience the 2nd coming of Serra no matter whom he fights next.... a knockout with a side of stankylegs is on the menu.
    The "2nd coming of Serra"???!

Like Matt Serra is a chubby Jeebus and he's coming back to bring pasta on earth??

Thread Information