Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Forum

Quote Originally Posted by lordpyro View Post
    That'd be cool.

I read anywhere from 4-8 books a week, alot of Fantasy & Sci Fi, plus technical nonfiction (physics, computer), and a lot of history stuff also.

I don't watch TV at all other than MMA and movies, so I have an abundence of free time. (It also doesn't hurt that I can devour a 300+ page book in an hour or two)
    I'm also a big Fantasy and Sci-Fi fan, as well as comics. I'll read just about anything by Dan Abnett. I'm really big into the Warhammer 40,000 novels though. The Horus Heresy series is really good.

I'm also a military history buff. I'll read anything about any war/military time period, but mainly I'm big on Greek and Roman history, as well as the Crusades.

I love to read alot, unfortunately I spend much of my days reading criminological journals and am usually bug eyed by the time I get home. I'm big into Horror, Wild West Bios, Pro Wrestling memoirs etc.

The following are the writers I read the most:

I've read every Brian Keene,James Ellroy and Richard Laymon
    Stephen King
    Joe Hill- Heart Shaped Box is amazing.
    Ray Garton
    John Skipp
    Elmore Leonard
    Joe McKinney

I also read anything on Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, Billy The Kid, James/Younger Gang, Wild Bill Hickok, John Wesley Hardin among others.

I'm also obsessed with anything written about DB Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamob View Post
    I was big into Stephen King but since the accident he hasn't done anything as awesome (maybe cell). Now I'm reading Day by Day Armageddon. I'm starting to get into the zombie novels. I read about 3 novels at a time every couple of weeks.

I'm trying to get into non fiction but haven't found anything yet.
    I read Day by Day Armageddon about two years ago and loved it. I really enjoyed the journal format. I haven't built up the courage to buy the sequal due to the bad reviews on Amazon, but maybe if I get bored enough I'll end up giving it a chance.

BP
    Kevo's response regarding Jon Jones' toe injury:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    At what point did the injury occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The part where his big toe does a backflip

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post

I'm also obsessed with anything written about DB Cooper.
    Assumption being you have already listened to it or think he is full o shit (and I assume if I searched it we have already discussed this) but have you listened to the JRX with Sonnen talking about DB being a family friend?
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    I'm also a big Fantasy and Sci-Fi fan, as well as comics. I'll read just about anything by Dan Abnett. I'm really big into the Warhammer 40,000 novels though. The Horus Heresy series is really good.

I'm also a military history buff. I'll read anything about any war/military time period, but mainly I'm big on Greek and Roman history, as well as the Crusades.
    Yes, Abnett's books in the series were by far some of the best. I think two more have been released in the Heresy series since I read the last.

I like McNeil's stuff too. The series about Uriel Ventris was awesome, they're the main reason I still field the Ultramarines. That and the shitload of painting it took. LOL

I really like Tim Powers for fiction. He basically writes historical pieces with prominant real-life personalities but injects an element of sci-fi or fantasy to explain a lot of peripheral phenomena that occured at the time, he does stuff like Bugsy Siegel was the Fisher King, Lord Byron was addicted to a vampire, that kind of stuff.

Neil Stephenson is pretty outstanding as well, in a similar vein. His Cryptonomicon juxtaposes WWII-era codebreaking with modern data encryption and it's just awesome, cover to cover. Snow Crash is outright Sci-fi, kind of like early William Gibson, but it's all-killer, no-filler.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I really like Tim Powers for fiction. He basically writes historical pieces with prominant real-life personalities but injects an element of sci-fi or fantasy to explain a lot of peripheral phenomena that occured at the time, he does stuff like Bugsy Siegel was the Fisher King, Lord Byron was addicted to a vampire, that kind of stuff.

Neil Stephenson is pretty outstanding as well, in a similar vein. His Cryptonomicon juxtaposes WWII-era codebreaking with modern data encryption and it's just awesome, cover to cover. Snow Crash is outright Sci-fi, kind of like early William Gibson, but it's all-killer, no-filler.

rh
    What by Powers would you suggest as a first?

Quote Originally Posted by lordpyro View Post
    What by Powers would you suggest as a first?
    Depends on what era strikes you closer to home.

Declare deals with British espionage in WWII and the Cambridge Spy scandal. Nice allusions to T. E. Lawrence, and I'd just read the Golden Warrior before it came out.

Last Call is about poker, tarot cards and the Fisher King saga. It was the first one I read. Deals with the founding of Las Vegas by Siegel, fractal mathmatics and chaos theory, and is the first--and best--of a 3 part series.

Expiration Date deals with T. A Edison's ghost, and a culture in LA that is addicted to inhaling ghosts. Not a sequel to Last Call, but the second in the trilogy. Earthquake Weather manages to tie in the first two and complete the series. The time setting for all of them is contemporary CA.

The Drawing of the Dark deals with post-Crusade Europe from the perspective of a brewery in Vienna besieged by the Turks in the early 16th Century. Deals with beer making, Finn MacCool and Arthur mythos.

Anubis Gates deals with time travel and Egyptian mythology, set in the 20th and 18th Century. Probably best time-travel book I'd read.

Stress of Her Regard and Hide Me Among the Graves deals with the romantic poets [Byron, Shelley, Keats] and vampires. Graves is the most recent book Powers has published, and it's killer.

On Stranger Tides was made into a crappy disney Pirates' movie. I haven't done any of the research, but I think they offered him the book deal because the first Pirates of the Caribbean film stole so much of his ideas that they didn't want to get sued. The movie sucked, but the book is pretty great: BlackBeard as a voodoo practicioner, looking for the Fountain of Youth. Zombie pirate crews, swashbuckling, jungles, stuff like that.

Three Days to Never also deals with time travel, Einstein, the Mossad. It's pretty killer. Contemporary CA again.

I go through phases on which one I think is best. They're the kind of book you can read more than once.

I haven't found any of Power's stuff as an audiobook, but I did find both Snow Crash and The Cryptonomicon from Stephenson as audiobooks, that were awesome for when I was traveling a lot this summer. I don't generally enjoy audio books as much, but the humor in these really came through perfectly in the medium.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

I've been into the zombie thing latley. I just finished world war z and now I'm doing Day by Day Armageddon. I'm also finishing the Prodigal Son series by Koontz. I'm also rereading Cell by King. Also reading Y the Last man. Any good suggestions on things for criminal non fiction?

Edit. I have to admit I'm reading 50 Shades to see what the fuss is. Don't think ill of me. I have to say right now I'm about ready to dig my eyes out of my head.
    Last edited by Thamob; 11-29-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamob View Post
    I've been into the zombie thing latley. I just finished world war z and now I'm doing Day by Day Armageddon. I'm also finishing the Prodigal Son series by Koontz. I'm also rereading Cell by King. Also reading Y the Last man. Any good suggestions on things for criminal non fiction?
    I have always enjoyed non fiction on organized crime groups such as the Hells Angels and other 1%'er clubs.

The Road to Hell: How the Biker Gangs Are Conquering Canada is a good read. Kind of like real life SOA if you will.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Thread Information