Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Forum

1. Default

Starship troopers: Horrible movie, interesting read. Robert Heinlin or something along those lines is the author.

David Gemmell wrote a great series about the trojan war.. Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow, Shield of Thunder, and Fall of Kings.

I just finished Dennis Leary's- Why We Suck. If your a fan of his, its absolutely fantastic.

I saw Stephen King mentioned here.. Eyes of the Dragon is my personal favourite of his.

Also, not quite on the same level as far as in depth reading as some others, but for star wars fans, the Darth Bane trilogy is worth the read.

Rivet, check out those Gemmell books if you have the time, if your into the ancient mediterranean scene

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Rivet, check out those Gemmell books if you have the time, if your into the ancient mediterranean scene
    Did Gemmell write some fantasy stuff too? I think I remember the name...something about a kid named Galen or something? If it was, it wasn't bad.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

I loved Ender's Game and all the books in the series. I've been hearing interesting things about a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Im not entirely sure. Ive only read the one series from him, but I was really hooked reading it. Some really interesting spins on the hector/achilles fight, the trojan horse, and other stuff as well. Quite creative.
    I think I'm thinking of David Eddings? He wrote straight fantasy stuff. I'll check out Gemmell when I get a chance.

But that also reminds me: Robert Holdstock wrote some incredibly different fantasy stuff that I really liked, the Merlin Codex. He's got other stuff that I'd wanted to check out, but I haven't made time for it. Very unique writer, really captured the feel of the iron age, in my opinion.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

I collect rare books.

I used to read a lot and actually wrote a few short stories too. I'm into George Orwell mainly, I've read all his books. When I was younger I was big into political stuff so I read Guevara books, stuff on Stalin/Hitler.

I also see Dave Gemmel mentioned here, I was a huge fan of his books when I was 17-18, I digested 2-3 a week. Really good author, I cried like a baby reading some of them.

J.R.R. Tolkien is the man too obviously.

currently reading:

Dr. and misses Carltons' - Naked Calories

Gene Bedell - Three Steps to YES

and

the Zohar.

Just finished "This Book Is Full of Spiders" by David Wong, which is the sequel to his bestselling "John Dies at the End" and I can't recommend it enough for those who love gonzo oddities with a horror/comedy blend.

Loved it.

Thread Information