Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 74

Thread: Book Forum

  1. #51

    Default

    I had a gift card for barnes and nobles so I decided to finally use it. I found a book called "Jesus and Buddha the parallel sayings." It is a book that puts Jesus' teachings next to the Buddha's and shows their similarities. I am really enjoying it, b/c it is a quick read, but you can go back and really look at the message and meditate on them. Probably not for everyone, but I am enjoying it.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    I had a gift card for barnes and nobles so I decided to finally use it. I found a book called "Jesus and Buddha the parallel sayings." It is a book that puts Jesus' teachings next to the Buddha's and shows their similarities. I am really enjoying it, b/c it is a quick read, but you can go back and really look at the message and meditate on them. Probably not for everyone, but I am enjoying it.
    before I found it in any literature I used to find correlations between Judaic teachings and Buddhist thought left and right!

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by POINDEXTER View Post
    I collect rare books.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    I just started reading The Strain by Guiellmero Del Torro and Chuck Hogan. Finishing up Day by Day Armageddon book 2 as well.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area.
    Posts
    13,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thamob View Post
    I just started reading The Strain by Guiellmero Del Torro and Chuck Hogan. Finishing up Day by Day Armageddon book 2 as well.
    I've read The Strain a long while ago due to my love for GDT, but it was one of those instances that I simply wasn't in the mood for reading a book at the time and was kinda indifferent to it.

    Maybe I got lost in some of the jargon or wasn't caught up in the narrative, but I've actually been meaning to pick it up again and give it another read, as the series of books has become quite successful and I've got mad love for Del Toro.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,138

    Default

    What are some essential pieces of literature that you recommend that any literate man should read?

    I have some Dostoevsky, Wilde and Steinbeck on my e-reader atm.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edmonton AB
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    I started reading the Chael Sonnen book on a friends recommendation and am actually quite enjoying it. Its a easy, fun read. Alot of cool stories in there. Anyone else read it?
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....


  8. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    What are some essential pieces of literature that you recommend that any literate man should read?

    I have some Dostoevsky, Wilde and Steinbeck on my e-reader atm.
    Joseph Heller Catch-22 if you haven't read it already.

    You, presonally, will walk around with a LiteratureBoner for a week.

    rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

    wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,809

    Default

    Essentials: Emerson's Nature, Thoreau's Walden...anything "contemporary": Hemingway, and earlier, certainly Herman Hesse and Goathe

  10. #60
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Under you bed
    Posts
    2,420

    Default

    The reading I do on thees'e forums is the only form of reading I do and I spend a few hours a day reading here I am sure.. I can honestly say that before I joined here I did not reead on a regular basis ever in life or enjoy it for that matter...So thanks to anyone who writes down their opinion on shit.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

    -Sam Rockwell

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •