Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Book Forum

I had a gift card for barnes and nobles so I decided to finally use it. I found a book called "Jesus and Buddha the parallel sayings." It is a book that puts Jesus' teachings next to the Buddha's and shows their similarities. I am really enjoying it, b/c it is a quick read, but you can go back and really look at the message and meditate on them. Probably not for everyone, but I am enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    I had a gift card for barnes and nobles so I decided to finally use it. I found a book called "Jesus and Buddha the parallel sayings." It is a book that puts Jesus' teachings next to the Buddha's and shows their similarities. I am really enjoying it, b/c it is a quick read, but you can go back and really look at the message and meditate on them. Probably not for everyone, but I am enjoying it.
    before I found it in any literature I used to find correlations between Judaic teachings and Buddhist thought left and right!

Quote Originally Posted by POINDEXTER View Post
    I collect rare books.

I just started reading The Strain by Guiellmero Del Torro and Chuck Hogan. Finishing up Day by Day Armageddon book 2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamob View Post
    I just started reading The Strain by Guiellmero Del Torro and Chuck Hogan. Finishing up Day by Day Armageddon book 2 as well.
    I've read The Strain a long while ago due to my love for GDT, but it was one of those instances that I simply wasn't in the mood for reading a book at the time and was kinda indifferent to it.

Maybe I got lost in some of the jargon or wasn't caught up in the narrative, but I've actually been meaning to pick it up again and give it another read, as the series of books has become quite successful and I've got mad love for Del Toro.

What are some essential pieces of literature that you recommend that any literate man should read?

I have some Dostoevsky, Wilde and Steinbeck on my e-reader atm.

I started reading the Chael Sonnen book on a friends recommendation and am actually quite enjoying it. Its a easy, fun read. Alot of cool stories in there. Anyone else read it?
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    What are some essential pieces of literature that you recommend that any literate man should read?

I have some Dostoevsky, Wilde and Steinbeck on my e-reader atm.
    Joseph Heller Catch-22 if you haven't read it already.

You, presonally, will walk around with a LiteratureBoner for a week.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Essentials: Emerson's Nature, Thoreau's Walden...anything "contemporary": Hemingway, and earlier, certainly Herman Hesse and Goathe

The reading I do on thees'e forums is the only form of reading I do and I spend a few hours a day reading here I am sure.. I can honestly say that before I joined here I did not reead on a regular basis ever in life or enjoy it for that matter...So thanks to anyone who writes down their opinion on shit.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Thread Information