Thread: Josh Barnett Slated for Final Strikeforce Bout on Champions Fight Card in January

Default Josh Barnett Slated for Final Strikeforce Bout on Champions Fight Card in January

Josh Barnett Slated for Final Strikeforce Bout on Champions Fight Card in January
    Posted on November 29, 2012 by MMAWeekly.com Staff

Former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett finally has a date and opponent for his final fight under the Strikeforce banner.

Barnett will square off with promotional newcomer Nandor Guelmino at Strikeforce: Champions on Jan. 12 in Oklahoma City, Okla. The event is also expected to be Strikeforce’s swan song, with most of its fighters gobbled up by the UFC.

Barnett (31-6) had been on eight-fight winning streak prior to his last bout, a losing effort in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix finals to Daniel Cormier.

Barnett broke his hand in that fight and has been sidelined ever since, while Strikeforce has cancelled two events during that same timespan.

It’s unclear what Barnett’s future holds beyond the January event. He has had a rocky past with UFC officials and has been rumored to be considering returning to Japan in 2013 to fight again for Pancrase, where he was the last man to hold the promotion’s open weight championship.

Guelmino is a little known Austrian heavyweight with an 11-3-1 professional record. The fight against Barnett marks his first bout in America.

After injuries ravaged the top end of Strikeforce: Champions, the main event now features Strikeforce welterweight champion Nate Marquardt putting his belt on the line against Tarec Saffiedine.

MMAWeekly.com’s independent sources confirmed the Barnett vs. Guelmino bout, which was first reported by MMAJunkie.com.

Josh Barnett Slated for Final Strikeforce Bout on Champions Fight Card in January | MMAWeekly.com
    Sooooo, yeah.

Nandor Guelmino AND Dion Staring on the SAME CARD?

Strikeforce FTW's!

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post

Nandor Guelmino AND Dion Staring on the SAME CARD?
    It's a dream come true
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

At least we can finally get these out of the way and hopefully see Cormier and Barnett in the UFC.

4. Default

Josh Barnett meets Nandor Guelmino at Strikeforce in January - MMA Fighting

The relatively-unknown Guelmino (11-3), nicknamed "The Hun," will be making his Strikeforce debut. Guelmino, born in Vienna, Austria, has won his last seven fights in a row.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I hope the UFC picks up Barnett again. I know he is an unpopular guy around some of these forums but I find him very entertaining to watch.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I would also love to see Josh come to the UFC... im still pretty biased against him. I think i still got a grudge after he pissed hot for the Fedor fight it was a fight i really wanted to see and i screwed a lot of stuff up.

But i dont hate the guy hes a great talent and one of the best in the world so id love to see him compete who knows maybe ill start to come around on him but id still love to see him in the UFC
    "If Aaron Riley doesn't win this decision I'm going to burn my head set and run through the crowd naked!" - Joe Rogan

"Get Off Me Bitch" - Joe Rogan

The One And Only ~J-ROD~

7. 11-30-2012, 12:59 AM

Coker spoils us...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information