Thread: McMann doesn’t expect to fight Ronda Rousey without more momentum behind the match-up

Default McMann doesn’t expect to fight Ronda Rousey without more momentum behind the match-up

Sara McMann doesn’t expect to fight Ronda Rousey without more momentum behind the match-up

The notion of two Olympic medalists facing off in the Octagon is an appealing thought, especially when considering both have remained unbeaten since transitioning into Mixed Martial Arts. However, in the case of judoka Ronda Rousey and wrestler Sara McMann, it doesn’t sound like the two will tussle until the latter is a bit more established.

McMann spoke about the possibility of fighting Rousey in a recent interview with Inside MMA where she admitted she needed to increase her mainstream profile before a rumble with “Rowdy Ronda” truly makes sense.

“There needs to be a proper buildup to a fight like that. People don’t really know me that well and they definitely know her, so it just doesn’t make sense to have it without a strong following for me, too,” explained McMann, adding she was well aware of the pairing’s potential and still expects them to mix it up at some point down the road. “Pretty much since the first time I said I was gonna be in MMA, people were like, ‘I heard Ronda Rousey is gonna be in it, you guys should fight.’”

Sara McMann doesn
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 11-28-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

This could be a huge fight if McMann gets the right wins and a good push from the UFC. There's a ton of fans out there who love Olympic athletes and will tune in to watch a fight between 2 good ones. If they can both manage to be undefeated for another 2-3 fights, it would sell itself and could draw in a lot of fans who don't normally watch UFC.

“There needs to be a proper buildup to a fight like that. People don’t really know me that well and they definitely know her "

Beat Ronda then they will know who you are lol

I'm a big McMann supporter, she's got serious chops.... but at this stage in the whole UFC/WMMA relationship, I think the last thing they need is an Olympic Silver Medalist wrestler UD-ing their postergirl, as Sara's overall game isn't really as developed to where it needs to be to be "the champ" so to speak, and if she were to go in there against Ronda, it'd be all about wrestling and grinding and avoiding the armbar from top control, which is something I don't think ZUFFA wants.

That's not to say that I think she shouldn't face Rousey, but IMO, let her get a little more overall MMA seasoning(opposed to her core wrestling attack), let her build her name up and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, sign Marloes Coenen to fight Rousey, as she is the far superior challenger to Ronda than Cris "Manderlei/Tranderlei Silva" Cyborg.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I'm a big McMann supporter, she's got serious chops.... but at this stage in the whole UFC/WMMA relationship, I think the last thing they need is an Olympic Silver Medalist wrestler UD-ing their postergirl, as Sara's overall game isn't really as developed to where it needs to be to be "the champ" so to speak, and if she were to go in there against Ronda, it'd be all about wrestling and grinding and avoiding the armbar from top control, which is something I don't think ZUFFA wants.

That's not to say that I think she shouldn't face Rousey, but IMO, let her get a little more overall MMA seasoning(opposed to her core wrestling attack), let her build her name up and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, sign Marloes Coenen to fight Rousey, as she is the far superior challenger to Ronda than Cris "Manderlei/Tranderlei Silva" Cyborg.
    They definitely need to sign Coenen and any other decent talent out of Invicta that can fight at 135. That way the UFC at least has a competitive division while Invicta can focus on promoting all the other divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I'm a big McMann supporter, she's got serious chops....

Yup, them some chops

Quote Originally Posted by tucker50 View Post
    They definitely need to sign Coenen and any other decent talent out of Invicta that can fight at 135. That way the UFC at least has a competitive division while Invicta can focus on promoting all the other divisions.
    Coenen is next. Sounds like the UFC will be signing her and she is who Ronda will face ... according to the rumor mill that is.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post

Yup, them some chops
    Thus my nickname for her: Lady Hoss!

Have they said when the first women's ufc fight will be. I am excited for it. Can't wait to see Rousey in action again.

I'll be very interested to see how ZUFFA handles the Invicta talents and specifically, how they'll navigate the monopolitistic/antitrust accusations that may befall them if they swoop in and cherrypick the top stars(McMann, Coenen).

Thread Information