Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC 156: Joseph Benavidez vs Ian McCall Verbal Agreements in

Default UFC 156: Joseph Benavidez vs Ian McCall Verbal Agreements in

UFC 156: Joseph Benavidez vs Ian McCall Verbal Agreements in | Bleacher Report
    The UFC's flyweight division has put on some solid matches so far, and two of its top three fighters will be squaring off at UFC 156 on Super Bowl weekend. MMA Weekly is reporting that Joseph Benavidez and Ian McCall have verbally agreed to the face each other.

Benavidez and McCall were two of the four fighters involved in the UFC's flyweight championship tournament. McCall fought Demetrious Johnson twice, once to a controversial majority decision draw and once to a unanimous decision loss. Benavidez fought Johnson in the finals after beating Yasuhiro Urushitani. He also lost to “Mighty Mouse” via decision at UFC 152.
    Arguably the #2 & #3 in the UFC's Flyweight division; should be one hell of a fight.

2. Default

I think this is a dumb matchup to make.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    I think this is a dumb matchup to make.
    Why? Not like this division is completely stacked, each of these two throwing down are up there in rank and can put on one fuck of a show, good promotion for the division.

4. Default

It instantly kills one of them and their momentum.

Have each guy fight another guy to help bring up the division. So what, if they win, they fight Mighty Mouse again?

With each fighter having only two fights in the newer division I dont think it hurts either of them too much if they lose because they lost to the top 3 in their division, they will still be ranked high, I think its more about attracting fans to the newer division.

It instantly kills one of them and their momentum.

Have each guy fight another guy to help bring up the division. So what, if they win, they fight Mighty Mouse again?
    Very valid point, if I could rep you I would. Still I think it will be a great fight, though, maybe one that should be done in a year or so from now.

7. Default

I should of definitely said that the fight will be awesome to watch. But in the scheme of things, it does nothing at all. You are trying to build a division, so why take the #2 and the #3 guy and make them fight. Have them bring up the rest of the guys in the division. Because if they win, then who do they fight? Mighty Mouse again?

Great fight, but I feel this could of been held off for a future card.

I should of definitely said that the fight will be awesome to watch. But in the scheme of things, it does nothing at all. You are trying to build a division, so why take the #2 and the #3 guy and make them fight. Have them bring up the rest of the guys in the division. Because if they win, then who do they fight? Mighty Mouse again?

I kind of agree with you to a certain degree, but what other hot young prospects are there in the division that they can be put up against? Besides John Dodson who is fighting Mighty Mouse. If this division was stacked like the lightweight division, then yes, I 100% agree but I think fighting a lesser name and losing is worse than these two fighting each other due to how shallow this division truly is. They probably will end up fighting the winner of Dodson and Mighty Mouse

Should be a helluva fight to watch and at this point, the division is so shallow that until more and more FWs cut down, this is one of the only big game fights they've got to make....

I think that you are correct. The UFC took the short term gain rather than look at the long term.

Thread Information