+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forrest griffin injures knee, withdraws from ufc 155 co-main event against phil davis

Default Forrest griffin injures knee, withdraws from ufc 155 co-main event against phil davis

Forrest Griffin Injures Knee, Withdraws from UFC 155 Co-Main Event Against Phil Davis

A knee injury has forced Forrest Griffin to withdraw from his planned meeting with Phil Davis at UFC 155, promotion president Dana White announced on Wednesday.

“Forrest has [an] MCL tear and [an] ACL strain,” White wrote. “Twenty [cubic centimeters] of blood [were] removed from his knee, and the saga continues at the UFC.”

UFC 155 takes place Dec. 29 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and is headlined by a heavyweight title rematch pitting reigning champion Junior dos Santos against former kingpin Cain Velasquez. It is currently unknown if the UFC is seeking a short-notice replacement to step in for Griffin against Davis.

A former light heavyweight champion, Griffin, 33, has won three of his last four fights. The original “Ultimate Fighter” winner competed twice last year, outpointing onetime middleweight ruler Rich Franklin before suffering a knockout loss to Mauricio Rua in their UFC 134 rematch. Most recently, Griffin took a unanimous decision from Tito Ortiz in their rubber match, sending the Hall of Famer into retirement this past July at UFC 148.

Davis, 28, has tasted defeat just once in his four years as a pro, dropping a unanimous decision to ex-champion Rashad Evans last year at UFC on Fox 2. Prior to that setback, “Mr. Wonderful” began his UFC career with five straight wins, capping the stretch by outpointing onetime Pride Fighting Championships standout Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Davis last competed on Oct. 13, out-wrestling Brazilian talent Wagner Prado to earn the nod at UFC 153.
    Sounds like a gnarly knee injury for Forrest, and I'm afraid this might be a career-ender.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, please delete.

Sucks for Forrest. I hope he comes back from this.

Who does Davis fight now? Bader? Vinny?

is it messed up that i am glad that this fight is not going down? .....sucks about the knee though :/

Enter Ryan Bader

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    I wonder what the status on brandon vera is..
    Vera would be good, but I'd say Davis takes him down anytime he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    I wonder what the status on brandon vera is..
    I believe Vera and Davis are training partners unfortunately. How bout Manuwa ?

Didn't really cared for this matchup but now that griffins out, how bout Ryan jimmo vs Phil Davis? Is jimmo scheduled to fight anyone?

I think it really depends on which fighter ZUFFA can get to cancel Christmas to take a major fight on short notice....

Bader makes the most sense. After that I'd suggest Te Huna or Diabate. Hell, given the irrelevance of his SF matchup, Mousasi could be a solid alternative.

I really don't think Davis would be too receptive to a Vinny bout, because I think Phil matches up poorly against him. And a matchup with Jimmo would be incredibly boring.

Quote Originally Posted by iced View Post
    is it messed up that i am glad that this fight is not going down? .....sucks about the knee though :/
    I thought the same thing when I read the headline. Then I read about the severity of the injury and had other thoughts, mostly that we've probably seen the last of Forrest as a professional MMA fighter.

I wasn't a huge fan of the original match up. It's possible that they'll find a replacement for Phil, but said replacement probably won't have the name value of a Forrest Griffin, and if Mr. Wonderful stays on the card, it'll probably be even more of a mismatch/showcase fight.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information