Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alexander Gustafsson: Shogun Rua isn't what he was back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Actually use his technical muay Thai, not get into some sloppy brawl. Those fights are entertaining but I expect better. Besides, he shouldn't continue taking unnecessary shots and shorten his career more.
    I think that he is just slowing down. He still has that ferocity but the speed and precision doesn't seem to be there. I hope he looks good in this fight, but win or lose, I want to see him and Hendo before they retire. War Shogun. Always fun to watch.

I love how Rua eats shit for the Vera fight even though he took it to him on all levels and ended up finishing a guy who carved up damn near anyone who stood with him and was admittedly more healthy and prepared than he had been in years.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

He hasn't looked like himself since coming to the UFC.

It is impossible to remain as hungry as 8 years ago.
    He won the Pride GP, he won the UFC belt, he is already considered a legend and he is only 31 years old. He has had epic wars, he is one of the most beloved fighters.

After all those things it is not that easy to remain focused and motivated.
    Plus he has had surgeries and that is a huge factor.

IMO he looked OK in the Vera fight. In the Hendo fight, he was destroyed during the first 3 rounds, and then he destroyed Hendo during the last 2 rounds.
    The Jones fight is the only one where he looked terrible.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Im hoping for a vintage Shogun beating.

SHogun/Vera was more a testament to Vera's heart and improvement than Shogun's aging/decline.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Actually use his technical muay Thai, not get into some sloppy brawl. Those fights are entertaining but I expect better. Besides, he shouldn't continue taking unnecessary shots and shorten his career more.
    Agree... He is one of the better Muay Thai fighters in the game... he just has a tendency to rely on his chin and durability at times.... Its good to even have that ability to even begin with, but not his most impressive work.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    I love how Rua eats shit for the Vera fight even though he took it to him on all levels and ended up finishing a guy who carved up damn near anyone who stood with him and was admittedly more healthy and prepared than he had been in years.
    Agree. Vera is one of the better Muay Thai fighters in MMA... Its just when we hear people want to see the "old" or "pride" shogun, or rematch Jones... His expectations are raised...

Vera has very good standup... but not something the elite strikers like Machida or Anderson would have too much problems dealing with... Shogun should be in that same light, when he is at his best.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinVoorhees View Post
    He hasn't looked like himself since coming to the UFC.
    His first fight with Machida was his best performance imo... based on who he was fighting... Technically speaking he was on point, his timing was there, he had good speed... was he as aggressive or explosive as the pride shogun... no... but I would put him at his best during both Machida fights...

The guy has had a lot of injuries and taken a lot of punishment over his career, it may be catching up with him.

Thread Information