Thread: Cristiane 'Cyborg' Santos shoots down announced UFC 157 fight with Ronda Rousey

Default Cristiane 'Cyborg' Santos shoots down announced UFC 157 fight with Ronda Rousey

Cristiane 'Cyborg' Santos shoots down announced UFC 157 fight with Ronda Rousey

Ex-Strikeforce women's featherweight champ Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (10-1) is not fighting UFC women's bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC). Not yet, at least.

Santos on Wednesday told MMAjunkie.com (MMAjunkie.com) that a notice on the UFC's Portguese-language website announcing a fight between the women at UFC 157 is the "wrong information."

She did, however, say that negotiations for the fight are underway, and said that she could fight at 135 pounds.

"In one month, I can't do it, but if I have time, I could do it," said Santos, who added that her management is currently negotiating with the UFC.

UFC 157 takes place Feb. 23 in Anaheim, Calif., which is Rousey's Southern California home turf. The card does not yet have an announced main event, though a light heavyweight fight between Lyoto Machida and Dan Henderson has been targeted for the show.

Santos clarified that she could compete at UFC 157 at 145 pounds, but needed additional time to drop to the 135-pound limit needed to vie for Rousey's title.

The conditions are a stark reversal for Santos, whose doctor recently said she would be unable to cut to 135 pounds without seriously affecting her health.

Word of the possible matchup quickly made Internet rounds. A UFC official said the posting was in error and the fight is not planned for UFC 157 or any upcoming card.

The two share a heated rivalry stoked by several interviews. Rousey has taken aim at Santos' suspension for steroids, which came following a fight nearly a year ago against Hiroko Yamanaka and led to her being stripped of the featherweight belt. And Santos has repeatedly voiced her desire to silence the outspoken champ.

Santos' suspension, a one-year term handed down by the California State Athletic Commission, which oversaw the bout, expires on Dec. 17.
    MMAjunkie.com
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Damn, my second double post of the day. My apologies bro. I think we were both posting at the same time but I was 7 minutes behind cause I was writing a lengthy response that went something like this:

Well, well, well. After all that bullshit negotiating now Cyborg is looking to make the fight with Ronda at 135 lbs. I understand this is a business and everybody's looking out for their own best interest but some people are just so full of shit/transparent that it would be really hard for me to appreciate their redeeming qualities/fighting skills. Cyborg is definitely edging towards that category IMHO. Hopefully she just stays quiet and focuses on testing clean and making weight.

It would be hard for me to imagine her getting an immediate shot at Ronda, considering the steroid suspension and past weight-cutting difficulties. I still expect her to successfully defeat a contender at 135 lbs before she's formally offered the Ronda fight.

Shit, if she pulls off the unlikely and beats Ronda, she could even market herself as a 2-division world champion. Let's see how this plays out.
    Last edited by trustkill; 12-06-2012 at 04:55 AM.

Its obvious she wants the fight more than Rousey imo, Rousey left the weight class to avoid facing her. I believe she will have a bad cut, she should do a test cut. Maybe hook up with Dolce if he isn't too busy riding Hendricks. At 145 its anybody's fight, but at 135 I'd put the odds in Rousey's favor.

Default Cris Cyborg Denies Reports Of UFC 157 Fight With Ronda Rousey

Cris Cyborg Denies Reports Of UFC 157 Fight With Ronda Rousey

Cris Cyborg isn’t sure where the information came from, but she made sure to say it was false.

Reports started circulating Wednesday night that the UFC’s Brazilian site had posted that UFC 157 would feature Cyborg and Ronda Rousey in the main event.

The card is set for February, and the social media world started buzzing.

However, in an interview with MMAjunkie.com, Cyborg denied such a fight as being official. The former Strikeforce women’s champion is currently suspended until later this month. She also stated that getting to 135 by that time is something “I can’t do,” but appears to have changed her tune concerning a potential drop to the class.

“If I have time, I could do it,” Cyborg said.

Previous reports from her own team stated that a doctor had told Cyborg such a drop to 135 could keep her from carrying a child later in life. The biggest hurdle to a Cyborg-Rousey fight appeared to be where it would take place, but that might not be an issue anymore.

Cyborg also said that her team is currently negotiating a deal with the UFC. Rousey is the lone female signed that has been made official by the promotion.

I'm sure Dolce would get her down to 135. She needs to cut out weight training for a couple months. Just focus on fight only conditioning. It will help her lean out.

The scale is judging her based on her appearance and her past actions that's why she can't make 135.

Thread Information