+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva's manager casts doubt on GSP superfight ever happening

Default Anderson Silva's manager casts doubt on GSP superfight ever happening

Morning Report: Anderson Silva's manager casts doubt on GSP superfight ever happening - MMA Fighting

Well, that was fast. As quickly as the potential bout between Anderson Silva and Georges St. Pierre was being built up and borderline promoted, the (defensible and understandable) obstinate GSP has thrown cold water on the whole idea. That's so true that, as our own Ariel Helwani reported last night on UFC Tonight, Silva's manager thinks the fight won't happen.

"We have heard a lot from GSP. He said he wants this fight to happen on his terms. He may not be ready for it just yet," Helwani said. "But I spoke to Anderson Silva's manager last night, and he told me that he truly doesn't believe that GSP wants this fight next and therefore he doesn't believe this fight will happen."

Like I said, that didn't take long. GSP basically isn't budging not only from statements he's made in recent months, but even in recent years. I can't ever remember a time where GSP indicated there were reachable conditions for the fight to happen absent some nebulous future time where it could all go down.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I think they should move on. GSP is content where he is (especially with fights left in that division). I never liked the fight to begin with.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

So now that the whole GSP super fight is doubtful, do Silva's manager believe defending the MW title against viable MW contenders foreseeable or is Silva gonna conveniently take his time off?

Well defending his title will obviously be "the easier fight" . Im just sick of his bullshit as far as who he wants to face.

Holy shit... Bisping is going to get a title shot
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

This figth makes plenty of sense for Anderson, and no sense for Georges

For Anderson; he's bigger, he's at the end of his career, he wants to use this fight as his swan song, and there aren't as many contenders at MW

For GSP; he's smaller, he is in the prime of his career, he just came back from 18 months off, and there are plenty of fresh contenders at WW

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    So now that the whole GSP super fight is doubtful, do Silva's manager believe defending the MW title against viable MW contenders foreseeable or is Silva gonna conveniently take his time off?
    I think a lot of that depends on the outcome of Bisping/Belfort.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    Holy shit... Bisping is going to get a title shot
    If he get's past Belfort, I have absolutely no doubt that he will.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think a lot of that depends on the outcome of Bisping/Belfort.

If he get's past Belfort, I have absolutely no doubt that he will.

rh
    I rate Bisping higher than I think most people do on this board, but Bisping has almost zero chance against Silva.

Bisping's strengths make him a challenge to most MWs. He is a pretty good technical striker, great takedown defense, underrated bjj, ok takedowns and is strong/big for a mw.

Bisping has good stand up that allows him to last a long time in most fights against good strikers. But he still gets hit. If you get hit a couple times by Silva, you are going to sleep.

Bisping has great takedown defense which allows to neutralize wrestlers and beat them standing, but Silva is not going to try and take him down.

3. Bisping has ok bjj but they are not going to the ground in this fight.

Bisping has ok takedown abilities that allows him to change the pace in fights against strikers with weak takedown abilities, but Silva has underrated takedown defense that has vastly improved due to his training for Sonnen. If Bisping was able to take Silva down, I think he could lay and pray a couple rounds away, but he does not have the high level wrestling necessary. Not going to happen

5. Bisping can out muscle or at least neutralize most guys at 185, but Silva is stronger than most 205s and tired Boner out in a couple of minutes of grappling.

= Bisping gets KOed in the first 3 minutes of round 1 (assuming Silva wants to end it early and "not play with his food").

I think Bisping is going to hang in there with him for 5 rounds. I think he has the ability to take Anderson down a couple times in a fight and he is fast enough to stay away and run for 5 rounds. He also has excellent cardio.

I am no Bisping fan, but the guy seems to rise to the occasion.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information