Thread: USA TODAY: Nate Diaz says sportsmanship doesn't describe UFC

Default USA TODAY: Nate Diaz says sportsmanship doesn't describe UFC

MMAjunkie.com

No matter how civilized and sporting his peers in the UFC try to act about the practice of fighting in a cage on live TV, Nate Diaz isn't buying it.

"Everybody who fights tries to sell themselves as a great sportsman and competitor, a great athlete," Diaz said. "We're out there trying to damage each other and finish each other. We're trying to take each other out. We both want to win by knockout or submission or some type of finish rather than decision. I think that's pretty unsportsmanlike in itself."

Diaz (16-7 MMA, 11-5 UFC) fights champion Benson Henderson (17-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC) for the UFC lightweight title at the UFC on FOX 5 event at Seattle's KeyArena on Saturday night (FOX, 8 p.m. ET).

If you've ever seen the 27-year-old Diaz fight, you know how intense he is. For Diaz and his older brother, UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, mixed martial arts is a way of life as much as it is a vocation. Both seem to approach every fight as if it couldn't be more personal, as if every opponent has wronged them in some egregious and unforgivable manner.

At times, that's made the Diaz boys into controversial figures in the MMA world. Even the UFC's promotional materials for the network TV title fight refer to the younger Diaz as "notorious," and not without reason. In 2010, the brothers were involved in an ugly post-fight brawl that was broadcast live on CBS during a Strikeforce event.

Now Diaz has his shot at one of the coveted UFC titles, and in a fight that puts him squarely in the network TV spotlight again. At the same time, Diaz explained, that doesn't mean he's going to pretend that a fight is anything other than a brutal struggle dressed up as sport. And, when you think about it, maybe that's the most refreshingly honest approach a fighter could take.

Against Henderson, Diaz faces an opponent who not only embraces the fighting-as-sport philosophy, but excels at it. While Henderson has been criticized for adopting a style that plays more to judges than fans, he's also won five consecutive fights in the UFC, all by decision. That makes him a formidable opponent for Diaz, who occasionally gets so wrapped up in his own desire to do damage that he loses rounds against more tactical opponents.

The champion's approach might be more calculated, but, "I think he's just doing what he's got to do to get through the fight," Diaz said.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I really like the attitude the Diaz brothers bring into each fight and the view that the person standing across the cage from them is the enemy. That person wants to hurt you and you should have nothing but contempt for them imo.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Obviously inside the cage you will try to knock out your opponent or finish him, it is a combat sport. But outside of the cage you can be very polite and educated.

Fedor and JDS, they are both relentless machines inside the cage, however outside of it, they are nothing but absolutely classy and respectful.

The Diaz brothers really love to make provocations before and during the fights. They talk shit, they taunt the opponents, they act like complete douchebags. Of course they do that to sell the fight and to play mind games with the opponent.
    Everyone has his way of behaving.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Obviously inside the cage you will try to knock out your opponent or finish him, it is a combat sport. But outside of the cage you can be very polite and educated.

Fedor and JDS, they are both relentless machines inside the cage, however outside of it, they are nothing but absolutely classy and respectful.

Everyone has his way of behaving.
    Your last quote sums it up completely.

I don't think the Diaz brothers are as educated or classy as someone like JDS. That isn't a knock on them or whatever - I'm just saying they have a way of acting and behaving because of a certain lifestyle their used to. So does JDS.

Every one has a way of behaving. Get over it!

Diaz brothers are good fighters, but I don't think I would put any stock into anything they say.

Well, he's terribly educated and doesn't understand the meaning of sportsmanship.

Ready to see his next fight. And seriously stoked for Nate's fight on Sat.

Diaz Bros do have a little sportsmanship. After the Condit fight Nick went and hugged Condit and shook his hand.

They are just very emotional people and I wouldn't say that they are dumb, but they lack a certain part of the brain, not sure which though. I just know I used to have a good friend that was just like them. He would get mad at things and nobody could really talk sense in to him and he couldn't explain what he was mad at but acted like he knew things nobody else did, but in reality he was a little slow. The older he got the worse he got in trouble thanks to his piss-poor judgment. I couldn't stay friends with him he got so bad. I saw him on the news the other day for being arrested for stealing copper, a true white trash crime. He has also gotten arrested for stealing meat from the grocery store, meanwhile, he lives with his parents and they have money, so I'm confused as to why this guy is like this, but I swear, he reminds me of a freaking Diaz! He doesn't trust people at all, thinks people are out to get him and has these moments where just goes somewhere in his head and comes back with some crazy ass non-logical ideas. Another thing about him was regardless of how slow he was, he could pick up things about fighting really good, learn moves fast, etc.
    I wonder where the Diaz bros would be without mma. I'm sure I remember seeing some documentary about them and Nate saying that Nick saved his life or something by getting him into MMA. I'd love to see what a shrink would say about guys like this. That anger and paranoia...
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Thread Information