Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC on FOX 5's 'Shogun' Rua longs for soccer kicks, not concerned about titles

Default UFC on FOX 5's 'Shogun' Rua longs for soccer kicks, not concerned about titles

MMAjunkie.com

"I tried to find guys that were Gustafsson's size and shape, and that's it," he told MMAjunkie.com (MMAjunkie.com). "We are ready for Saturday."

And while the UFC now says the winner of the fight will get a shot at the title, Rua said he doesn't care whether he gets a chance to win back the belt.

"It doesn't matter," he said. "It's the decision of the UFC or (UFC President) Dana White. I try to do my best, and the decision about the future is in the UFC's hands, especially Dana White's hands."

White made the title-eliminator announcement at a pre-event press conference for UFC on FOX 5, which takes place Saturday at KeyArena in Seattle. Rua vs. Gustafsson serves as the event's FOX-televised co-headliner following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Rua, a Brazilian veteran, appeared unfazed by his 25-year-old opponent or the stakes of the fight. He got misty-eyed, however, when he was asked whether he missed the soccer kicks that defined his earlier career in the now-defunct PRIDE organization.

"I hope one day the UFC allows stomps," he said with a smile. "The sport's changed a lot, the rules. It's uncertainty every day. You try to make things better and improve, so everything in our lives changes."

Injuries have defined Rua's latter career. Multiple knee surgeries and slugfests with such fighters as Dan Henderson have prompted questions that he might be slowing down. In his most recent fight, which came against Brandon Vera at UFC on FOX 4, he admitted to tiring and said fans would see better from him in his next outing.

Rua, who won the UFC title at UFC 113 and lost it to Jon Jones at UFC 128, said a group of Gustafsson clones helped him get in tiptop shape for Saturday's fight. He said he is used to fighting opponents as big as the 6-foot-5 Swede.

Fans certainly hope to see Rua return to form. Fans warmly received him during an open workout in support of the event. Rua said he's ready to give them a show.

"I trained for this fight a long time," he said. "Gustafsson is a good boxer; he's good at moving in the octagon. I trained for people with a very similar style."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I would love to see the old Shogun, but I see him getting out worked everywhere. On a personal note it sucks seeing these legends going this way. Maybe he'll decimate Goose, but probably not.

I miss Shogun soccer kicks too :'(

Brown Pride

"I long for the day...the day where I can stomp my opponent's face again." -Shogun with a long face.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

I always hated soccer kicks. Such a lame ass way to finish a fight by kicking someone in the face when they are on the ground.

As far as Shogun, he's easily one of my favorite fighters and I think he is still as good as he was, I think that the competition has caught up with his level. Sure, he has had some stinkers, but the guy is pretty young still, so it's not age, what would be the problem?
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    I always hated soccer kicks. Such a lame ass way to finish a fight by kicking someone in the face when they are on the ground.

As far as Shogun, he's easily one of my favorite fighters and I think he is still as good as he was, I think that the competition has caught up with his level. Sure, he has had some stinkers, but the guy is pretty young still, so it's not age, what would be the problem?
    Only person that's caught up with Shogun is those knee injuries/surgeries. I mean I still haveyet to see anybody actually take it to Machida in the striking department. I just don't think he's hungry anymore and like Cordeiro said "he surrounds himself with too many yes men" who don't push him hard enough.

With that said, I cant help but keep hoping to see Shogun return in peak form.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Only person that's caught up with Shogun is those knee injuries/surgeries. I mean I still haveyet to see anybody actually take it to Machida in the striking department. I just don't think he's hungry anymore and like Cordeiro said "he surrounds himself with too many yes men" who don't push him hard enough.

With that said, I cant help but keep hoping to see Shogun return in peak form.
    I would say the knees too but he looked in pretty peak form in Forrest II and Machida II. Maybe if he gets Jones II he will win.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Shogun w/o stomps and soccer kicks is like Jones with no elbows or Penn with no RNCs. It was his best finishing move, his go to guard pass, and his best move from the sprawl. Sad to see him without it.

That's my guy! Oh the memories...
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    I would say the knees too but he looked in pretty peak form in Forrest II and Machida II. Maybe if he gets Jones II he will win.
    For Forrest 2, he went back to his pride trainer (Cordeiro). He doesn't go back because he doesn't wanna travel outta Brazil to train.

As for Jones 2, I really don't know. If he came with a strategy and gas tank like he did for Machida, then we're talking. I've noticed the few leg kicks his opponents have thrown at him usually go unchecked. I believe he should move to America and train with Cordeiro again and if he had Dolce help with his dieting, he'd be just relentless with a new gas tank. He still has the chin and heart, just needs some cardio.

Thread Information