+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White discusses the future of BJ Penn

1. Default Dana White discusses the future of BJ Penn

UFC on Fox 5 Results: Dana White says B.J. Penn should retire - Bloody Elbow

"He didn't say it tonight but I think BJ is probably going to retire," White said. "I wouldn't mind seeing that. He came back with a fire lit under him. Let me tell you what: That kid looked so good tonight. Rory looked better than he ever looked. The body punches he threw, you dont see punches like that in mixed martial arts. He really put it to B.J. tonight," said Dana White after the fight.
    "B.J. is a warrior. Talk about a guy who doesn't give up, doesn't quit, and just keeps coming. I have so much respect for B.J. I always have, even though the good times and bad times. I‘d like to see him retire. He's got plenty of money, he's got a great family that loves him, he's got babies, a beautiful wife ... He has nothing left to prove to anybody, and everybody loves him. You heard the arena here tonight. I'd like to see B.J. retire."
    Penn has lost 5 of his last 6 fights and hasn't won since a 2010 KO over the now retired Matt Hughes.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

2. Default

MMAjunkie.com

Following a lopsided loss to welterweight standout Rory MacDonald, former champ B.J. Penn was taken to an area hospital for observation.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

Retirement would be the best option. He's been around for a long time and he's been in a lot of wars. In some he looked like a man on a mission, in others I wondered what he was doing in the cage(mostly at welterweight). I'm not his biggest fan by any means but he's a future hall of famer for sure. The bottom line is that he shouldn't put himself through more beatings like he's had in his last two fights and it's time to hang it up.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

4. Default

Penn has lost 5 of his last 6 fights and hasn't won since a 2010 KO over the now retired Matt Hughes.
    Actually, he has only lost 4 of his last 6. He beat Hughes and had a draw with Fitch.
    ------------------

I'd like to see him make one final run at lightweight, the welters are too big to BJ and as fun as they sound on paper, that record is getting ugly. I'm ok with retirement but I'm hoping if he decides for one more its at lightweight. Gomi would be a fun match up
    My favorite fighters: Shogun, Couture, Penn, GSP, Lesnar, W. Silva, C. Cyborg, Aoki, Franklin, Overeem

I will say that BJ doesn't have much padding on his record, pretty much everybody was legit. That being said, I've never liked Penn, but I recognize how talented he is/was. I've never seen the warrior that some see, but I do think he has a hell of a chin. I respect that he bounced around weight classes, but I always felt like he was praised when he won, and given a pass when he lost at welterweight. It sucks whenever a talented fighter retires, and even though I never liked him, I did enjoy his fights. In my book Penn is tied with Edgar for the greatest lightweight up to this point, but in my opinion Edgar is still the champ so that's a whole different discussion. He will be a hall of famer, and he deserves it. BJ call up Hughes, and you guys hop on to your motorcycle, his arms wrapped around your waist, and you guys ride into the sunset together. Maybe you can take a trip up to Canada together, and egg GSP's house, who knows, the world is your oyster.

BJ is done, and just like Shogun, he will never taste title contention again. The times have passed them by IMO.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    BJ is done, and just like Shogun, he will never taste title contention again. The times have passed them by IMO.
    Well said.

Too bad there is no way possible we could see Rory fight Hendricks.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Im glad Bj came back to fight but he cant compete against the big 170's. I really think the UFC used his name to start there big push on Rory. If he fights again it should be at 155. It really sucks to see Bj beatdown the way he has been in his last 2 fights.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonJuggalo View Post
    I'd like to see him make one final run at lightweight, the welters are too big to BJ and as fun as they sound on paper, that record is getting ugly. I'm ok with retirement but I'm hoping if he decides for one more its at lightweight. Gomi would be a fun match up
    This is close to the way I see it. The welterweights are too big and rangey for BJ now. But his kryptonite at LW (Edgar) has moved to FW, so BJ might have one run left in him there. I'd love to see him get two big wins at LW and challenge Benson for the title. Would be a fun matchup.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information