Thread: Lorenzo Fertitta won't let superfights slip away...

Default Lorenzo Fertitta won't let superfights slip away...

Lorenzo Fertitta won't let superfights slip away... - Fighters Only

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta watched boxer Manny Pacquiao get knocked out by Juan Manuel Marquez at the weekend, then took to Twitter to lament the missed opportunity for a superfight between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

That match was until the weekend one of the most anticipated in boxing and while no doubt it would still sell well, the luster has bneen completely taken off of it thanks to Pacquiao ending his Saturday night face-down and unconscious. Multiple attempts to make a fight with Mayweather Jr. were made in recent years but all fell through.

“Gotta strike when the iron is hot boxing,” Fertitta chided the US boxing fraternity. “Lost Manny/Floyd forever. #gspvssilva #silvavsbones #superfights.”

St-Pierre, the UFC welterweight champion, has shown a marked reluctance to take a fight with middleweight champion Anderson Silva at anything other than his own fighting weight of 170lbs. Silva is a big man and has fought at light-heavyweight on occasion; St-Pierre would be at a significant size disadvantage if he had to move up in weight for the bout.

Nonetheless the UFC sees the fight as a potential big earner and heavy pressure is being brought to bear on St-Pierre to fall into line. Part of this involves money, and there will surely be a fee that St-Pierre will eventually find agreeable. The real challenge might turn out to be getting Silva to face Jones…
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

The Pacman/Mayweather fight was much different, because those 2 guys are about the same size. They fight all the same people. I feel like asking GSP to fight Silva or Silva to fight Jones would be like asking either Mayweather or Pacquiao to fight Bernard Hopkins a year or two back, ya it would sell but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

Honestly though, I think the odds of seeing the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight now is much higher since Pacquiao lost a few. Mayweather will get more money like he wanted, and he'll have plenty of film to exploit. If Mayweather loses his next fight or so (which I think is definitely possible since he really struggled with Cotto), can almost guarantee this fight will happen.

Zombie is born!

I feel like people just gloss over the fact that there's already a superfight coming up on Feb. 02nd and it's happening for the right reasons (fighter moves to another division of his own accord).

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    I feel like people just gloss over the fact that there's already a superfight coming up on Feb. 02nd and it's happening for the right reasons (fighter moves to another division of his own accord).
    I hear ya. And it's the one I wanna see the most. There's no big disadvantage or anything. Just gonna be a unreal fight between Aldo and Edgar, I actually don't know who to pick. Frankie sure as hell was pressured to go down though.... but it looks to be all good now. Can't wait for this fight.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

No this cant be true... only Anderson is seeking the superfight...

The UFC is trying to book the Weidman fight(even though he is injured) but Anderson keeps refusing... Dana wants to keep his cool and not publicly trash his fighter... that is what is really going now.

I highly doubt the UFC cares about what fights will sell....

Quote Originally Posted by rampage9712 View Post
    No this cant be true... only Anderson is seeking the superfight...

The UFC is trying to book the Weidman fight(even though he is injured) but Anderson keeps refusing... Dana wants to keep his cool and not publicly trash his fighter... that is what is really going now.

I highly doubt the UFC cares about what fights will sell....
    I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    The Pacman/Mayweather fight was much different, because those 2 guys are about the same size. They fight all the same people. I feel like asking GSP to fight Silva or Silva to fight Jones would be like asking either Mayweather or Pacquiao to fight Bernard Hopkins a year or two back, ya it would sell but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

Honestly though, I think the odds of seeing the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight now is much higher since Pacquiao lost a few. Mayweather will get more money like he wanted, and he'll have plenty of film to exploit. If Mayweather loses his next fight or so (which I think is definitely possible since he really struggled with Cotto), can almost guarantee this fight will happen.
    Slight disagreement here from me.

Mayweather is 5ft 8" with a 72" reach, Pacquiao is 5ft 6" with a 67" inch reach

While this may not seem much, when your only weapon in the ring is your fists, reach is extremely important, mayweather has 5" advantage here.

Mayweather is orthodox, Pacman is southpaw, usually should make a pretty good fight?

In this case, you had arguably the best offensive boxer in Pacquaio and unquestionably the best defensive boxer in the world (perhaps of all time) in Mayweather.

Here is how i seen that fight going down:

Pacman comes lunging in, Mayweather with the jab, repeat several times, Mayweather gets lazy, Pacquaio hits him, Mayweather puts him down, Mayweather back to defensive boxing again, uses his reach to outbox and outclass him for the remaining rounds.

While reach is important in MMA, you con combat a long reach by utilising the clinch, taking your opponent down or working for submissions, in boxing, these options are just not there and if you don't have a speed ior power advantage over your opponent then its going to be a long night for you
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Oscar Wilde

8. Default

You CAN NOT compare making a superfight in boxing versus making a superfight in MMA.

Apples and wrenches man.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post

I don't know I can still see Mayweather duck him because he knows Pac has a good chance of beating him. His excuse this time would be Pac isn't worth the fight now.

As far as Silva/GSP goes, the iron is pretty cold on that IMO. Silva vs. Jones is the superfight now.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Thread Information