+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diego Sanchez says his next fight will be at lightweight

Default Diego Sanchez says his next fight will be at lightweight

Diego Sanchez says his next fight will be at lightweight - MMA Fighting

"MY NEXT FIGHT WILL BE AT LIGHTWEIGHT," Sanchez tweeted, the caps all his. The news came an hour after Sanchez tweeted "Announcement about my next fight will be coming soon this week."

The move sounds like good news for fans of the veteran fighter. One of the most consistently exciting competitors in the UFC, Sanchez experienced his greatest success at 155 pounds, where he defeated Clay Guida via split decision in what many consider 2009‘s Fight of the Year and a title shot at then-champion B.J. Penn.

After losing the title challenge to Penn at UFC 107, though, Sanchez (23-5) made the decision to move back to 170 pounds. There, Sanchez continued to deliver his trademark, action-packed brawls, earning Fight of the Night bonuses in each of his past three fights. But he's gone 2-2 since going back to welterweight, including a decision loss to Jake Ellenberger in his last fight on Feb. 15.

In an August appearance on The MMA Hour, Sanchez dropped the hint that a move back to lightweight was on his mind.

"I went over it with Greg Jackson and my coaches, and, it just makes sense," Sanchez said. "Everyone's dropping weight. When I saw [Nate] Marquardt fight at 170, I was like, this guy's a monster. He's huge, he's strong, he's in shape. I'm just not that physically big, so I was like, I better do what I have to do, get down to 155, be where I'm going to have the most leverage, strength, speed, the best technique. And also on top of that have less injuries training with smaller guys, less weight, less load on the knees. Its a smarter decision toward the end of my career."

Can't wait to see him back at LW. I wonder who he's going to be fighting? A fight with Nate would be fun.

Damn, I was hoping for a Nick Diaz fight at Welterweight, but I'd settle for the Nate Diaz fight at lightweight

WTF is that picture

Can't wait to hear who he is fighting. Too bad we won't see a him and Nick Diaz rematch, but a fight with his brother would be very nice. Would have been great to see him battle Kampman again. Other than Nate it would be fun to see him take on Gomi.

nice. weather its ww or lw diego always brings a crazy fight. hopefully its soon....and hopefully he's in shape (physically and mentally) lolz

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Big Country View Post
    WTF is that picture
    I believe it's called erotic asphyxiation.

At any rate, if motivated, I think Sanchez can be a legit contender at 155 now that Penn and Edgar are out of the division.

i remember him saying he was offered Gomi in Japan but dont know if he ever accepted or not

Sanchez fighting soon?? "YES!!......YES!!!......YES!!!"
    LJS-NEMS

FINALLY, god I've missed Sanchez for his antics in, and out of the octagon.

As far as i know it's Gomi in Japan.
    “I just want to be known as the greatest ever…is that too much to ask?”

B.J Penn

https://www.facebook.com/roy.billington1
    https://twitter.com/RoyBillington

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information