Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Condit willing to accept rematch against Rory MacDonald if UFC asks

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    I doubt many ww walk at 200lbs, even gsp I believe walks around 190lbs. What's the point in him detailing potential contenders if he's not gonna challenge for the title ? Just a cowardice thing imo. You feel comfortable and confident in your skillset to beat up on smaller opponents, why not test yourself where you can go for a title?
    GSP is said to be walking around at 195 he says he could go higher but doesn't like cutting to much weight. Dolce claims Hendricks dropped 42lbs (212) for his fight against Kampmann. There are other WW's that look similar in size to Rory.

The point in him fighting at 170 is that is where he is comfortable fighting. There are plenty of ways of booking fights so that he doesn't derail a upcoming challenger having him fight Condit coming of a title fight loss is a perfect example. You don;t seem to get that all the MW's cut weight as well and most of them are cutting from higher then 200lbs why does Rory need to fight bigger guys at this point in his career? because he was bigger then Penn?

As others have mentioned Rory is still a ways off a tittle shot with current circumstances he has no top ten wins and it is no guarantee that he beats Condit in a rematch. Worry about him fighting for a title or not fighting for one when he even gets to that point.

The claims of wanting Rory to move up because he was bigger than Penn is ridiculous. First off, Penn should move down. There are even featherweights who start cutting more than his weight. As many have mentioned, there are many WWs who are the same size and cuts the same weight as Rory. Everyone who is in the 185 division starts off much more than 200 for the cut. Let Rory at least get to the point of fighting for a #1 contendor spot (which he isn't even he fights Carlos as there are other ahead of him), or to a point where the weight cut is too tough.

I don't like this whole weight cutting advantage, but it doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon. Eventually I see something drastic happening that they have to regulate it rigorously.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    This fight makes the most sense for both guys; gives Rory a huge name and avenges his only loss, while a win for Condit puts him right back up there in title contention.
    I still don't have Rory solidly ranked as a top 10 fighter, I don't know that a win for Carlos would put him anywhere but where he's currently at...and that's a fight or three away from a rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    So instead you want him to move up a weight class when he has all kinds of good fights because he walks around at 200lbs like alot of the WW do and you want him to fight a guy who cuts to 185... yeah that makes sense
    Rory doesn't walk around at 200, that's camp weight, when he's already trimmed down. It's likely he walks around a bit heavier than that.

Much like the incessant questions from hack MMA press about him fighting Georges someday, the concern for him to move up is premature at this point. He hasn't derailed any title shots. He hasn't beaten any solid top 10 opponents. But if he's not interested in fighting Georges, he's going to either become a spoiler, or he's going to need to move. He's said that himself.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Don't most MW walk around at 215+. Isn't Silva is 220+. 200 seems very small for walk around weight for MW.
    a few common terms:
    Walk around weight is what fighters weigh when they're not in shape. They're not training overtly for a fight. Some fighters, like Georges, stay in shape all year round. Some fighters, like Anderson and rampage, do not.

Training weight is what fighters weigh in camp before they begin their actual weight cut right before the fight. A good example of this is when Rory posted a pic of himself at "200 and trim" mid camp. But it's not necessarily what a fighter cuts from.

Cutting weight is the weight a fighter loses right before the fight, and regains via rehydration.

Cageweight is what a fighter weighs during the actual bout, after they've regained the weight they've cut.

I doubt many ww walk at 200lbs, even gsp I believe walks around 190lbs. What's the point in him detailing potential contenders if he's not gonna challenge for the title ? Just a cowardice thing imo. You feel comfortable and confident in your skillset to beat up on smaller opponents, why not test yourself where you can go for a title?
    • walk around weight is not the weight fighters cut from, and is often much, much more than cageweight.
    • Rory hasn't detailed any potential challengers yet, so you're making much ado about nothing.
    • Lack of interest isn't always cowardice, so ease up on the keyboard cowboy stuff. For instance, I'm one of the people who think Anderson is ducking Weidman. I do not for a moment think he is a coward, or that he's afraid of Chris.
    • The bulk of modern MMA is comprised of fighters looking for a physical advantage over their opponents. It's what's put Dolce on the map. Rory is no different.

GSP is said to be walking around at 195 he says he could go higher but doesn't like cutting to much weight. Dolce claims Hendricks dropped 42lbs (212) for his fight against Kampmann. There are other WW's that look similar in size to Rory.
    That's not a cut. That's the difference between walk around weight and the weight he cut to in order to weigh in. Between those two numbers is a six week camp where he shed the bulk of that 42 lbs. I'd be amazed if Hendricks actually cut much more than 20lbs.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

A lot of people comparing Rory to Hendricks; Hendricks has a lot of mass but he is 3" shorter and gives up around 7" of reach to Rory. Rory actually has a reach comparable to Anderson Silva; at MW he'd be just as big as anyone else. Of course that doesn't mean he SHOULD go to MW, but people shouldn't be saying Hendricks is the same size as him because he's actually much smaller.

While a guys weight is important, the size of a guys frame is even more important. Guys like Hendricks and Alves pack on tons of muscle to try to make up for their small frames; they cut a lot of weight but it doesn't really make them bigger then the other guys. In some situations being compact and muscular is an advantage, but the overwhelming majority of top fighters have long, lean frames.

Zombie is born!

Never said he should move up due to being bigger than Bj. Fact is everybody knows Bj has no place a ww, especially these days. My point is simply why sit around lingering at ww if you have no title aspirations while Gsp is champ? Hendricks cutting 42lbs means squat, he's a little pudgy guy.

Rory can easily crack top ten at mw, so what's the hold up? He'd still be a pretty big mw.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    That's not a cut. That's the difference between walk around weight and the weight he cut to in order to weigh in. Between those two numbers is a six week camp where he shed the bulk of that 42 lbs. I'd be amazed if Hendricks actually cut much more than 20lbs.
    rh
    For clarity's sake I understand Hendricks doesn't cut 42lbs in one night. Our points are pretty much the same.

I would say most guys now a days are dropping around 20lbs just prior to weigh ins. Guys like Rory may be able to get a way with a few pounds more because they are younger and their bodies can handle it a bit better.

Never said he should move up due to being bigger than Bj. Fact is everybody knows Bj has no place a ww, especially these days. My point is simply why sit around lingering at ww if you have no title aspirations while Gsp is champ? Hendricks cutting 42lbs means squat, he's a little pudgy guy.

Rory can easily crack top ten at mw, so what's the hold up? He'd still be a pretty big mw.
    What's the rush with Rory moving up? he's still relatively new let him fight where he wants to. It's not like he's doing anything detrimental to the sport there are plenty of great matches for him at WW. There will be plenty of time for him to move up a weight class later on when he gets older and may not be able to cut the weight so easily.

Also it's been pointed out that he is still a ways off being a title contender for a bit yet. Who's to say GSP is still champ next year or 2 years from now? As good as GSP is there is always the possibility of him losing, moving up a division, being hurt, retiring etc... If any of those were to happen what good would it be for Rory to be fighting in a division he doesn't need to be?
    Last edited by Rise; 12-12-2012 at 02:32 AM.

to me, there's no reason for any talk on rory moving up to mw just yet.. as long as he makes 170, let the dude fight where he wants to fight.

i see this happening (barring any injuries): i see gsp fighting nick and winning. then fighting hendricks. the winner of this potential condit/mcdonald rematch would then be the new #1 contender at ww... if GSP is still champ (which i think is very likely) this obviously poses some issues if rory wins the rematch...
    lemme touch your feet

Default Carlos Condit unofficially agrees to UFC rematch against Rory MacDonald

Carlos Condit unofficially agrees to UFC rematch against Rory MacDonald - MMATorch

After beating up B.J. Penn for three rounds at UFC on Fox 5 on Saturday night, Rory MacDonald called out the only man who has ever beaten him in MMA: Carlos Condit.

The two fighters competed back in 2010, with Condit scoring a TKO win with only seconds remaining in the third round of what had been a very competitive fight. MacDonald has said the fight haunts him to this day, and it's a loss he wants to avenge, so he laid down the challenge to Condit, putting the ball in his court.

During Fuel TV's UFC Tonight program on Tuesday night, Ariel Helwani reported a response from Condit to said challenge.

"'I'm in.' That's all Carlos Condit said," Helwani reported. "He said the fight makes a lot of sense to him and he thinks the fans will love it, so it appears we'll have a rematch."

Condit was just defeated by Georges St-Pierre last month in a five round Title fight at UFC 154, and there's no timetable for his turnaround as of yet, but it looks like he'll be fighting MacDonald once more when he returns.
    "Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence."
    — Vince Lombardi

For clarity's sake I understand Hendricks doesn't cut 42lbs in one night. Our points are pretty much the same.
    I just get concerned when I see careless diction that the vagueries of the interweb can make into "fact." If you mischaracterize it as a cut, there are going to be people who misinterpret it as exactly such. Case in point:
    Hendricks cutting 42lbs means squat, he's a little pudgy guy.

I would say most guys now a days are dropping around 20lbs just prior to weigh ins. Guys like Rory may be able to get a way with a few pounds more because they are younger and their bodies can handle it a bit better.
    Exactly, but you've got Rory actually cutting from somewhere around 200 to make 170, and you've got sonnen cutting from somewhere around 205 to make MW for his rematch with Anderson. Rory is something like an inch shorter than sonnen, but has a reach advantage. It's not out of the question for him to fight at MW once his metabolism slows down and ridiculous weight cuts have taken their toll.

What's the rush with Rory moving up? he's still relatively new let him fight where he wants to. It's not like he's doing anything detrimental to the sport there are plenty of great matches for him at WW. There will be plenty of time for him to move up a weight class later on when he gets older and may not be able to cut the weight so easily.

Also it's been pointed out that he is still a ways off being a title contender for a bit yet. Who's to say GSP is still champ next year or 2 years from now? As good as GSP is there is always the possibility of him losing, moving up a division, being hurt, retiring etc... If any of those were to happen what good would it be for Rory to be fighting in a division he doesn't need to be?
    Again, I don't think he should fight at MW simply because he's so much bigger than Penn--who is simply crazy to volunteer to fight at size disadvantage at WW regardless. But I don't want to see him start muddying the water at WW if he genuinely has no interest in pursuing a fight with GSP. It's not an issue until he starts fighting solidly-ranked fighters...but if it becomes an issue, I'd like to see him move up.

He can always fight Askren when zuffa buys Bellator. I'm hope I'm kidding.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

We sure do talk a lot about weight on this forum...

I don't mind the rematch, but I think there are lots of good match ups for both fighters.

Rory/Kos
    Condit/Kampmann sounds good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Thread Information